MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mini 2 Slap Head
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....when you have air con! :rolleyes:

Driving home tonight it was raining rather heavily and there was substantial standing water on the road. On my way home i have to pull out of several junctions that are rather busy so you have to go for a gap when you see it. So, DSC off, i proceed to pull out for a gap in the traffic and the engine revs die then pick up at the last minute to save me from impending T-bone :eek:

I had forgotten how much torque the air con saps from the engine and i drive with the air con switched off 98% of the time. Of late i have been using it to demist the front screen given all the rain we have been having. It seems a bit of a rigmoral to switch the DSC off, then the air con just to get a sharpish pull away.

I could of course use 4000rpm+ but then that would be silly...... ;)

Anyone else experienced this lately?

C_P

P.S.
a) My car does not suffer the yoyo effect and
b) yes i can drive, my clutch control is not crap :p (Hev...no comment please lol)

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
I tell ya what DSC save me the other day. I lost traction at a roundabout (wet) and I was heading for an 18wheel truck that was on my inside when the DSC kicked in and got me traction. It more than paid for itself in that one instance.

So to answer your questions: Who needs traction control......? Me.:D

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Pete, you've got a fairly old MCS right???

That means you've got the older mapping of the DSC where it kills revs at the first sign of rain :rolleyes:
Later MCSs have a newer mapping where it doesn't kill the revs until really necessary. Yes there's more wheelspin, but at least you can control that with a little clutch slip ;)

On my first MCS I had this problem big time, but my second one I didn't have the problem at all. In fact it was hard to put power down due to wheelspinning too much :p

·
Mini 2 Slap Head
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Granted, DSC has saved my ass a few times, it has certianly paid for itself. If anyone asked me i would advise them to get it, especially when accident avoidance is called for lol.

I will have to call into the dealership and ask them about updating my DSC cal, thanks Martin. How is that RX8?

C_P

·
2003 PS MCS
137 Posts
Martin L said:
Later MCSs have a newer mapping where it doesn't kill the revs until really necessary. Yes there's more wheelspin, but at least you can control that with a little clutch slip ;)
p
When did this change take place? I'm looking at buying out the lease of my friend's '03 MCS.

Cheers.

J\

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Not sure when, just knew it happened. The difference between my old and new was huge.
Might have happened at one of the new engine management upgrades :confused:

·
Registered
700 Posts
I can't imagine using it under most driving conditions. I'd rather drive by the seat of my pants, limiting wheel spin by feel and accelerator than leaving it up to a computer.

I use cruise control, but it's not the same. The DSC takes too much away from the driving experience, IMHO.

Anyone else?

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
vagt6 said:
I can't imagine using it under most driving conditions. I'd rather drive by the seat of my pants, limiting wheel spin by feel and accelerator than leaving it up to a computer.

I use cruise control, but it's not the same. The DSC takes too much away from the driving experience, IMHO.

Anyone else?
In a way but it can also save you.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
This has been covered in a thread before i'm sure, but day to day, DSC on, track and spirited sunday drives in good weather on roads i KNOW, off. ;)

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
The only problem with the MINI DSC is that it cuts in too early. You don't know you've reached the limit until you see the little light flickering. The DSC should let the car slide a tad just to let the driver know what's going on. This will add to the experience.
In my RX8 it does this. Let's the car "slide" about 6 inches before bringing it back under control. This way you get the feel and have the chance to correct things yourself :)

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
i had this plenty of times on the autobann in germany, the weather was torrential, aquaplaining all over the place. I shut it off as it was killing the revs and the engine was just dying. In the end i ended up loosing revs and going from 5th down into 3rd gear, my speed was no more than 60mph and the jugonaughts were bearing down on me with little prejudice!!!!:eek:

·
Hangin at the Krusty Krab
844 Posts
Charger_Pete said:
I had forgotten how much torque the air con saps from the engine
Odd. I hardly notice any difference to the performance of my MC with A/C on or off. There's a slight change in fuel consumption (about 3-5mpg), but little change to the perceived performance (and before you ask, I thrash it everywhere). Consequently I nearly always have the A/C on. Maybe when you are running a Pipercross and BP Ultimate, it levels things out.....

I actually notice much more of a difference when the fuel tank is full of fuel compared to when it is full of air.

P.S. BP Ultimate is currently 92p per litre around here - ouch.

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
I would not buy a car without stability control (or auto air con or xenons for that matter)

It is why I didn't even look at an Elise and didn't buy a second hand XK8 I was looking at some years ago (they now have it).

My MCSC-works spins it's front wheels a lot. Clearly mini feels this is enough of a problem to offer the LSD as standard in the new MCS(C) chilli pack (although if it drives anything like an RS focus i would be worried) and I for one would love the 4WD Gertrag mini.

I do drive fast in rain, snow, at night, whilst tired and in a hurry and I am often not concentrating as well as I should -so DSC for me every time!

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Any safety device must be a good thing :)

It's definitely worth the £200. You'll think it's well worth it the first time it saves your bacon ;)

Must've saved me a good few times. Once was even on the infamous Nurbergring :eek: :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts