MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a very nice BRG Cooper with a roof design, racing number "1" on the doors (black on white circle) in Bristol on Saturday.

Has anyone seen it? Photos on the website?

Must be one of the most unique MINIs on the road?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I can tell you that..............it wasnt me! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
seen on another part of the site that its illegal for road cars to have numbers on the side as I was thinking of getting it done?

any thoughts??

Piccis would be great :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Round and about in London the MINI's in BRG with Gold and green union jacks on the roof are all owned by Foxtons estate agents (they're company cars) - and they all have numbers from 1-50. I don't think numbers are illegal - Rally cars are all road legal and have numbers and graphics on them...
And as for BRG Coopers from Foxtons - the driver is therefore an estate agent, so run 'em off the road! :eek: ;)

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
As far as I know it is against the law to have 'rally style' numbers on your door, unless they are crossed out with black tape or similar.

BUT, I think this is like so many road regulations that are generally over looked by the drivers and the police.

Any traffic police on here?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Foxtons

JV said:
Round and about in London the MINI's in BRG with Gold and green union jacks on the roof are all owned by Foxtons estate agents (they're company cars)...
JV, thanks I think you have solved the MINI mystery!

I checked their website www2.foxtons.co.uk and found a couple of pics of their cars and they have an article in their magazine regarding the MINI.

Paul M - they should sponsor MINI2 with a banner ad!

Cheers

Garry

Here is an extract:

Big Impression

The Mini is back and better than ever

Over the forthcoming weeks and months, you may come across the Foxtons brand in a very different way. London's estate agent has invested in 200 branded Mini Coopers. Chosen for its high quality, performance and excellent fuel economy, the Mini Cooper is ideal for day to day use in heavy London traffic and perfect for Foxtons who have 10 offices throughout the capital. In keeping with 1960's London tradition, Foxtons' Mini Coopers have been personalised, with styling cues taken from its racing heritage.

Britain's favourite small car has long been associated with London for its style, chic and, of course, its dimensions which make it the ultimate car about town - squeezing into that matchbox-sized parking space is no longer a problem.

It's actually not common knowledge that when the original Mini first arrived back in 1959, it was far from being an immediate success. Designer Sir Alec Issigonis' new small car was viewed with considerable trepidation among the-then very conservative car-buying public. However, the arrival of the sporty Cooper and its adoption by London's 'Chelsea set' of the time such as Twiggy, Peter Sellers and Mary Quant, saw its success assured. Anyone who was anyone in 1960's London had a Mini and the epitome of cool was to customise it further with their own personalised style - such as wickerwork doors, a feature on Sellers' Mini.

The name of the Mini Cooper was to become etched on the hearts of motorsport fans too, when it won the 1964 Monte Carlo Rally and the likes of Paddy Hopkirk and John Cooper would become household names. As would the Mini itself. In fact it's estimated that 9 out of 10 people in the UK have either owned, or been driven in, a Mini at some point in their lives - a boast that few other cars can even approach let alone match. Young or old, rich or poor, the Mini always had a totally classless image that meant anyone could feel at home behind the wheel.

Fast forward to today and under the bonnet of the sporty Cooper model is a 1.6-litre engine with 115bhp capable of 0 to 60mph in 9.2 seconds and a 125mph top speed. But that performance is offset against an excellent level of fuel economy (an everyday average of well over 30mpg) - an all-important factor given London's busy streets.

But even the briefest of periods behind the steering wheel of the new Mini will convince you that this is the perfect car for the city. Rapid steering and throttle response means that it offers a driving experience like no other small car on the road today. The stylish and solid interior only underlines its safe and wide stance on the road, limpeted to the tarmac like a boiled sweet to your favourite jumper.

For the development of the livery, Foxtons employed Bear Design to take on the project. The intention was to create a scheme that was sympathetic to the integrity of the Mini yet embraced the car's individual charm and style. Logo references were kept deliberately subtle, the overall objective being for the Mini to be noticed and not its branding. An interesting concept for what is essentially a marketing exercise, however the heritage of the Mini is simply too great. It is only upon closer inspection that you can spot the tongue-in-cheek humour of the GB-style badge on the boot which, in Foxtons' case, denotes the location each car operates in; MAY for Mayfair, FUL for Fulham and so on.

Judging by the feedback from clients, the acknowledging responses from other Mini owners and the smiles from other drivers and pedestrians alike, the project has undoubtedly achieved its aim. Mini, we love you!

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another pic, but no visible door numbers...

Attachments

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:
As far as I know it is against the law to have 'rally style' numbers on your door, unless they are crossed out with black tape or similar.

BUT, I think this is like so many road regulations that are generally over looked by the drivers and the police.

Any traffic police on here?

I don't believe it is road traffic act that stops you from having numbers - The RACMSA Blue Book basically says that you can have your 'competition' licience removed from you for displaying your numbers on the road. Over time I think this has become confused with 'it's illegal' - so if you don't have a RACMSA competition licence in the first place your probably OK !

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Ive seen a Purple LOTUS ELISE with a white circle & a number on the door & it was lush :) :) :)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Garry said:
Another pic, but no visible door numbers...
I see that the people who get paid for a living designing things (the graphics designers Foxtons hired) decided that the wider spacing of the stripes looked better. :)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
BruceK said:

I see that the people who get paid for a living designing things (the graphics designers Foxtons hired) decided that the wider spacing of the stripes looked better. :)
ha ha, well done Bruce, perhaps they took the cue from your original suggestion........

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
JV said:

And as for BRG Coopers from Foxtons - the driver is therefore an estate agent, so run 'em off the road! :eek: ;)

Umm JV, would you mid posting your registration number, so that next time i'm in the UK visiting the relies I ensure I steer clear of you......

Hopefully Foxtons don't take offence to your remarks..... or any MINI mad traffic police for that matter.

:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts