MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a lot of MINI owners make reference to previously (or currently) owning an mx5 Miata, myself included. Was wondering how many of you were out there? Also what do you think is the connection between the two?

·
Registered
49 Posts
We're all posers :D

Nah I think the reason is there both small cars with impecible handling and loads of personality.
I have owned a mk1 1.6 (3 years) and a mk2 1.8iS (3 years also) both red. Brilliant cars loads of fun but a bit impracticle since I got married so best car to replace it was a Mini didnt like any of the other Mazdas and they hadnt released the RX8 at the time. Still prefer the Mini now tho.

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
I had a Mk1 MX5 1.6i V-Spec (Japanese Import) which was a fantastic car, very reliable, and bags of fun to drive. I have also had a Mk2 MX5 1.8iS which was not quite as much fun as the Mk1 but was still a nice car.
I actually sold the MK2 MX5 yesterday to help fund the MCS I have on order which is due to arrive in April. I just hope I find as much fun in the MCS, I am sure I will. The main downside is that I am now without a car until April!! Could prove to be a problem, I wasn't expecting it to sell so quickly.

Matthew

·
BamaCooperS
15 Posts
Still have mine.

I still have have 91 Miata. Just couldn't part with it even after delivery of my '04 MCS. Interesting, both have the same Eaton supercharger. My Miata is heavily modified and is pretty quick and handles like a go-cart. Even so, I enjoy the MINI just a little more. Maybe some day I'll part with both MINI and Miata and order a drop-top MINI. For anyone interested, here a link to my out of date web page:

http://webpages.charter.net/hbrown3124/

·
Registered
209 Posts
Owned two, both Mk1's both brilliant, will have another.

Not interested in a Mini cabrio though. The Mazda seems to transcend bad opinion in a classless way that the Mini can't.

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
I drove on on the weekend. I though the handbrake leaver was to adjust how high you cut the grass. It sounded like a mower :eek: :eek:

It also scuttle shook much more than I was expecting. It's hard when comparing them to Lotus and MINI's :(

·
///M Power
5,066 Posts
Yeah!!... I had one... very nice MK1 1.8i V-Spec import in a metallic blue... fantastic car.. but very different to the mini... more of a raw driving experience... they are very light cars and also with the RWD made them great fun.... just try down shifting on a greasy bend and see the back end step out :D

When for a test drive in another one though and it was a bag of bolts in comparison... there are loads around... just need to get a good one :)

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
My mums got a Mk2 MX5 52 reg. Its had a few problems but she loves it! The only thing is that it is bright Mica yellow! She said she wants a mini next!

·
MCS Owner-to-be
37 Posts
Hi

I sold my '93 MX5 in July when I ordered my MCS. As the MINI isn't coming until Jan I thought it was best to sell the Mazda while the weather was nice (lucky I did too - it's rained ever since!!)

I agree that the connection between the two is pure fun driving - the MX5 made me grin every time I drove it and the Cooper S did exactly the same on the test drive.

Unfortunately my 'between' car is a Honda Civic which is lacking somewhat in the fun department...

Oh well - roll on January :)

·
Back from the dead!
55,481 Posts
Yes, I sold my MX5 1.6 for my MCS :)

It was a fantastic car and I would have another, I have missed it over the past year, I loved having the roof down, it was very rarely up :cool:

Am loving my MCS though, its perfect :D

Here was my baby :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Count me in!

I've had two MX-5's, my first being a '96(NA) red UK 1.8iS with black leather/red piping, and my second an '03(NB) cerrion silver UK 1.8 Nevada special edition with blue leather/fabric top/clutch issues. Here are some pics of them:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/nevada

Very nearly bought an S1 Lotus Elise after my Mk1 MX-5, but after a few packed in on me during test drives, I decided to get another Mazda. My Mk2 didn't have anywhere near the amount of character and head turning capabilities of the Mk1, and I missed those pop-ups!

Swapped my special edition '5 at the end of August for my One having had it from brand new for just under a year. I guess I'm attracted to cars that have a fun driving experience, I like to feel a connection with the road - just drive a Mazda hot round a wet roundabout and you'll know what I mean.

You don't necessarily need speed for fun, but you do need handling.

JoN

·
Registered
357 Posts
Best of both worlds. I own a Mini AND kept the Miata :D Both terrifically fun cars to drive for very different reasons.

·
Back from the dead!
55,481 Posts
dmholmes said:
Best of both worlds. I own a Mini AND kept the Miata :D Both terrifically fun cars to drive for very different reasons.

Fantastic :cool: :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Much as i like the Miatae and the forums At Miata .net a Mini could be my next car as the Miata gets stored every winter leaving me to drive the wifes car (toyota Echo) for 5 months.The Mini looks like a more competant car for winter driving

·
Registered
888 Posts
I swapped my 98 1.8i MX-5 for my 01 MINI Cooper.

Cooper has more fun handling and is safer but is also slower and less reliable. I can drive the MINI at the limit and enjoy it. I can't drive the MX-5 at its limit and enjoy it (I crashed it!). I'd have both if I could though - I loved my wee Mazda - its a true modern classic without resorting to the retro "form over function) of the new MINI.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had plenty of cars over the years, but my MX5 (96 red/tan) was the first car that I can say I actually enjoyed. Spent countless hours on Miata.net and countless dollars making it my car. Was a blast of an auto. Life changes meant I needed a car with more than two seats and two glove compartments... couldnt carry groceries and a friend at the same time.

So wound up trading it in, and very quickly realized I missed having a car with character. Missed the nimbleness, missed the charm. My new A4 was great, but just didn't really do anything for me. Thought about getting a new Miata, but the newer ones didn't do it for me either. Loved the MINIs, but didn't want a tin top. Now the ragtops are here and knew I had to have one. This time keeping the A4 so I have something practical, but got my playtoy too. I wouldn't be surprised if someday I wind up with another 1st gen MX5 too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Funny you should ask. I'm still waiting for the '05 MCS I have ordered and, yesterday, my wife decided she needs a second car. She went out with the idea of getting a minivan :( and came back with a 2000 Miata. I'm very proud of her!

I've driven it a bit and I really like it. I'm not surprised that quite a few Mini people have owned or also own one.

Here it is.

·
Back from the dead!
55,481 Posts
MarkS said:
Funny you should ask. I'm still waiting for the '05 MCS I have ordered and, yesterday, my wife decided she needs a second car. She went out with the idea of getting a minivan :( and came back with a 2000 Miata. I'm very proud of her!

I've driven it a bit and I really like it. I'm not surprised that quite a few Mini people have owned or also own one.

Here it is.
Stunning Mark :cool: :D

*sigh* I want my MX5 back

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks, Phantom! Yours was beautiful! I love that color. We've had ours for only a few days and I know I'd miss it if I sold it.

Mark

·
Registered
16 Posts
I sold my highly modded (turbo, coilover susp., katzkin, rollbar, etc.) 1990 miata (and traded my 2000 outback) to buy my '04 Cooper.

The miata had lost it's "fun to drive-ness" after all of the modifications. It was very fast with over 220 wheel horsepower, and 200 ft. lbs. of torque (2300 lbs with full gas tank) but the fully programmable ecu caused me to fiddle more than drive! When our daughter was born, the car sat in the garage for nearly a year... The Outback was the worst car I have ever driven in snow (I've driven other Outbacks and Imprezas that were great) and I refused to put my daughter in it during the winter. It was a good car otherwise, but quite uninspiring to drive.

I found what I wanted in the Cooper. Similar in performance and feel to the miata when stock (although the Cooper handles better), yet all 3 of us can enjoy it together! I haven't had the Cooper in the white stuff yet, but the Blizzaks are sure to help. I nearly ordered a stripped S, but bought the Cooper loaded for the same money.

Best 4 seat miata ever built!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts