MINI Cooper Forum banner

Whos happy with their MINI?

5K views 67 replies 51 participants last post by  Sir Jake the Brit 
#1 ·
Any of happy with you MINI? I've had my 54 MCS for 2 months now, I like it but havent fallen in love with it. I used to own a 57 plate Renault Megane R26 until i wrote it off in an accident, I loved that car and miss it loads but I just dont find the MINI gives me the same amount of excitement.
I wanna go down the tuning route as i find the MCS a bit slow. Will tuning my car to say 200-210 BHP will make me like it more? How do these compare to other hot hatchs like the ST, CTR, GTI, etc...?

#2 ·
I would of thought the MINI have bags of character over the Megane. I had a 172, nice car, but not as fun to drive over the MINI.
There is a lot of tuning threads in that particular section of the forum to get more ooomph or Va Va Vrooom :p

#3 ·
I had a 172 as well and I found that more fun than the mini 2 drive. The MINi is a better car than the 172 but no as thrilling. But the megane was great, I used to get people turning heads and taking photos of it all the time. No1 notices the MINI. I'll be happy when its on par with speed as the megane.

#4 ·
I'm happy with my MINI. I started with a Cooper and then moved up to a Cooper S so at the moment it ticks all of the right boxes for me. :)

Just a quick question, and you can tell me to mind my own business if you wish, but was your Megane write-off speed related?

#5 ·
I'm still grinning like a Chesire cat after just over 3 years of ownership:biggrin:.

P/X ed an 02 CTR for my already Hartge tuned (210bhp) 03 MCS, much prefer the supercharged driving experience over the high revving Honda:wink:

Tuning could be the way to go to get you smiling again, it worked for me:D

#6 ·
No wasnt speed related, i aquaplanned on a dual carriage way. I suppose i think the MINI is slow and boring cos I've come down from a quicker car. I loved the turbo but the supercharger on the MCS is quite nice as well. heres a before and after of my meg:

How does ur car (hartge210) speed wise compared to other hot hatches or even a standard MCS?

#31 ·
I came from a Clio 172 to my R53 and I know what you mean.
I find the mini easier to drive though, especially in the wet!
The works kit brings the 0 - 62 down to 6.6 seconds, maybe that would get you more where you want to be?

How come your R27 got written off, it doesn't look so bad?

#7 ·
Having driven the 172 and 182 clios and a GTi i can say that driving my 240bhp S is far more grin inducing! Especially when you blow them off between 40 and 70 ;) :p

I have driven faster cars, and i've driven better cars, and i've driven more exciting ones....but the S is the first car where i really shock people that its as quick as it is. TBH theres not a lot on the road that out does my car when its running right and has nice new brakes and tyres etc.

Theres even been a few porshe and aston drivers who despite having been quicker than me have probably been to their dealer the next day thinking that thier car must not be running right ;) LOL

#11 ·
After six years of MIni ownership I still love my R50, despite the fact that its currently at home, on ramps and with half the engine sitting on my work bench. Fecking alternator:frown:

Despite it only being a Cooper it ticks all the boxes for me.

I find 115 bhp more than enough for the stop start traffic in and around North Kent.

When I do feel the need, the need for speed:biggrin: I crack out the Elise.

I would hate to have to choose between the Mini and the Liz. They are both exceptional cars in their own way and both have kept me interested for 6 years.

#12 ·
No body looks at your MINI? Now that is odd. Don't want to blow my own trumpet but, only this morning while filling up a guy crossed the forecourt to say how much he liked my car. Sitting in a queue trying to get around Chester a van loads of workmen gave it the thumbs up. And whilst passing Davenham a taxi full of young lads hung out the window waving. Not an everyday occurrance, but it happens regularly enough. Go on a MINI run and see the smiles on onlookers faces. Your MINI will get more admiring glances than your Megane. Have thought about trading for an R26 but it would never replace the go kart, even if it is only a Cooper. MINI ownership is about bends, not straight line speed. We do have some drag racers though. I hope your MINI wins you over, and you come to love it.

#15 ·
I love my mini. Have loved all my minis.
No mini is a bad mini.
Have had other cars that I have loved lots. But Mini is a different type of love.

I am also surprised that no one looks at your mini. All 3 of ours got loads of looks and some people have taken photographs.
It was only the other day that a guy stopped me as I was pulling out of a carpark and asked for my number just because he liked my mini! hehe :p

#16 ·
Not very happy with my current one....bit of a Friday afternoon build methinks. :(:mad:

BUT I have loved my MINI's over the last 7 years...as for no one noticing them I have had lots of people ask me about my cars. I ran a Boxster S for a couple of years and no one ever asked about that:confused:

Even though (credit crunch permitting) I have decided to move on from MINI I still have difficulty in thinking of another car that has the breadth of abilities the MINI has. I shall always remember them as a high point in my motoring life.

:eek::D

#17 ·
Is a bit strange I dont get many looks, I mean i thought it would cos its bright yellow with a chequered strip all over it. lol i hav had a few comments saying they like my wheels (R90's). I did think about owning another R26 but the money i had left over from my insurance claim is gone now and cant afford to fork out another £4-5k to get one.
Hoping that when i have fitted a 15% pulley and a milltek that should change my mind. lol I have recently fitted a GTT CAI which seems to have helped the fun.

#18 ·
I've always had a love/hate relationship with all my MINIs....

Best one was my first MCS but is was the most troublesome.
There are many fond memories of that car, most of them documented in here!

Our current Cooper is neither here nor there. I do like the interior and look, but the little niggles are annoying. I'm not in love with this one and that's for sure, my TT gets alll my love :eek: :eek:

#19 ·
Feel so sad that you are not happy with your mini.
I started with the mini cooper s in 2003 and now have an 05 s works. Swiper is faaast!

However I have just ordered a factory works (whisper the £24000 cost) after driving it I couldnt resist.

Have been happy with both my minis and just know I will be happier still with my new one.

Get a works if you want speed, or go to Lohen and get yours tuned, good luck, I know you will love it then.

#23 ·
I just love my MCS so much! :D I had a 172 prior to getting the MCS, and although I liked the Clio and really wanted one, I did spend the whole time I owned it planning and looking for my next car. Now I have the MCS I can't honestly imagine what I will get next. Also I do get a reasonable amount of attention, certainly more than my 172 ever got.

#24 ·
I fall in and out of love with my Mini on a regular basis. Love it because it's so classy and different to other sterile cars on the road but the quality is just not what I expected. And don't get me started on the ineptness of BMW/Mini service work............

#26 ·
I loved my R50 Cooper and I love my current R53 Cooper S even more! :D

I think it's a fair comment that, what with the age of the design and numbers now on the road, they don't create the interest from Joe Public that they used to, especially with newer designs from rival manufacturers grabbing the limelight now. But, as I enjoy driving the car so much, why should I care about that! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.