Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Solo II/Autocross

Votes: 34 57.6%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this number will be relatively small, but I'd like to see how many are racing their MINI's, and what type.

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
GArfield

TVRMan and I have posted similar threads but we only end up talking to each other !! - Don't expect a large queue:)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, wasn't expecting much, but for whatever reason, I hadn't thought of you two, so that's two more. There's also a couple of Autocrossers I've spoken with. So maybe I'll see about 6 or 7 on the poll, who knows.

·
Old Geezer
14 Posts
I have autoxed my mini since December and my daughter also drives it. There are two meets a month and I am planning to attend them all. We enter in H stock and are runnig Pirelli 205/45/16 nerozero and with a CVT. It has been an interesting experience.:D

I am still trying to convert my driving style from rear wheel drive to front wheel drive and thus my daughter normally beats me by 0.5 seconds. I also am trying to convert to left foot braking to handle understeer.:red:
john

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Heaveno Garfield and other.. There are a few of us that Drag race the Mini which isn't on your poll. But guys like Gowest, Autoxgod and others i would hope would answer but havent. I would love to go race mine at other events .. but with my work im lucky if im allowed the time off to do the 2 major Drag events we have in the area.. which are ; The Battle of the Imports and the NOPI Nationals. btw i work nights so doing Daytime events are a bit hard for me.

Until we meet on the road
Have fun, Be safe and Keep MOTORV8N

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'll have a go at autocrossing my new '04 MC a bit in H stock this season (Western Ohio Region SCCA). The only problem is, I always get lost and confused in all of the cones when I try to autocross! I currently road race a 1987 Renault GTA (AMC Alliance) in the ITB class. It's not very competitive, but a fairly reliable mid-pack finisher. I spec'ed my MC out with an eye toward maybe road racing in SSC, although the Mazda Protege's seem to be the hot set up these days in SSC. That's the problem with Showroom Stock - each class always seems to be dominated by one particular make and model, and the "trunk packages" allowed to some cars have only made the matter worse rather than better as originally intended, IMHO. I may just wait until 2009(?) when my MC will (presumably) be classified in ITB. The newness will have worn off by then, so let the interior gutting and suspension lowering/stiffening begin!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did an open road race last year and plan on going out again this year. I'd do more of them but I live on the east coast and all open road races are in Texas, Nebraska or Nevada. I hope to be able to attend a few track days at some local race tracks this year as well. Lime Rock park, Watkins Glen or New Hampshire speedway. ;)

·
Mile High MCS
47 Posts
Brian,

I've been autocrossing my MCS. Last year I also did a Solo Trials which was a three laps around a closee race track for time. This year it has been changed to Time Trials and will be 30 minutes around the same track, best lap time in class wins.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My god, talk about a resurrection! This thread was started over 2 years ago... At this point, I'm pretty much aware of who's racing and how, thanks.

Brian

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

I am racing my car on the track.

I compete in what is called "supersprints". There are 6-8 cars on the circuit at one time, seeded fasted to slowest. The cars start at 10 second intervals. There are 5 flying laps per session, with 5 sessions per day. Fastest single lap counts. They are great fun, and very competitive. We compete on various local circuits, which vary from 2 to 4.4km in length. I have got to race on some great circuits such as Eastern Creek and Phillip Island, both of which have hosted motoGP international events.

I compete in the BMW club, so I compete against a mix of cars as well as minis. There is a class system, which takes into account engine size, modifications and tyres. After 4 events so far this year I am winning my class in the NSW state club championship :D :D
There are 3 regular mini competitors, and another 3 or 4 who compete intermittently.

I am also intending to do a 3 day closed road rally later this year.

Cheers

Robbo

·
www.minicoopers.org
507 Posts
mini GLP on the nürburgring..

it's a consistency test.. no lap under 10 minutes.. not over 15 minutes... be as accurate as possible... if you're as accurate as another the faster lap counts.

G

·
Solo II/Autocross. Took my first autocross course last night.
Fun times, -5 degrees, wet track, and light snow coming down!

The only thing I'm concerned about is the increased wear and tear that comes with autocrossing. Can anyone comment on their experiences? Repair wise?
Don't really want to accelerate the wear on it...?

-R

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm an avid lapper. Last year I organized a couple of events, we had 11 MCS at the last one. This year I have 6 lapping days booked at Shannonville in Ontario and will do a few odd more at the local lapping nights here in Montreal. This is also my first season on R compounds, i'm going to get them fitted next week :D.

Here is a link to a video of my last outing at the track last year:

Amit's Chase Video

We took turns chasing each other. The two other MINIs are a couple of ex-formula ford drivers and are running stock MCSs on R compounds. My car then had the Rogue Intake with some Yokohama ES100s on their last treads. I was keeping up until I went into turn 1 too hot and slapped the exit cone :rolleyes: Those guys are incredible drivers, so consistent, I have a lot to learn. Can't wait to hit the track in a couple of weeks.

Amit

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Brian!

You can count me and Keith. Also a few others who are out west and there's a few more in the South East. Of course I don't have to mention Chiles and Jeff, and then there's a couple more that could be gonig to Topeka this year that may upset the barrel.

Look for a few surprises coming if Topeka is in their cards.

GS/HS/STX guys are all out there. It's getting more popular over time.

Jim

·
Registered
366 Posts
High Performance Driver's Ed days, 6 so far within the past year. Have 4 more already scheduled before the season is out, plus looking to fit in 3 more days. East Coast primarily. Love it!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
2003 Porsche BMW Owner's Club Circuit Series - 2nd in R8 class
Driving Schools since 2000 (too many to count)
Instructor for Porsche BMW Owner's Club and BMW CCA since 2002
Just sold my 2002 MINI Cooper S Race car and went to a 2004 MC40. Looking to start autocrossing later this year.

·
Sponsor and Widget
1,736 Posts
Supersprints, Tarmac Rally and Track days... lots of good fun in the Mini :D:D

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
still weighing out the pros and cons of autox school with Garfield in August

driving = great

porta potties = bad

the chance to bother Garfield = great

the chance to see hubby volunteer to run around track picking up cones = really great

:p :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts