MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering why BMW Australia only give minis a 2 year warranty when other countries give either 3 or 4 year warranty? Seems a bit unfair since my MCS (1yr old, 15,000kms) has been very problematic.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Here in the US, MINI gives a 4 year/50,000 mile (Whichever comes first) factory bumper to bumper warranty. In addition, we get free paid scheduled maintenance for the first 3 years/36,000 miles. This is basically the same warranty as the more expensive BMWs.

I am not sure why this varies from country to country, I suspect it has to do with marketing schemes, costs, industry standards in said countries, etc.

I think in the UK, MINI drivers also get a 2 year warranty.

Also consider that it is very difficult to sell a new car in the United States with a warranty shorter than 3 years. The standard here is at least 3 years/36,000 miles. 4 Year/50,000+ mile warranties are issued mostly to high end cars. Some budget brands such as Hyundai, Kia, Suzuki offer 10 year/100,000 mile warranties to be able to move thier questionnable metal out of dealer lots.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Its 2 years here in Mexico also.

I guess its all about dealers making more money out of the cars. It is sort of stupid here because once the warranty runs out almost everyone takes their car to a cheaper shop to get it fixed.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
3 years unlimited milage in the UK, and the TLC for £100 offers 5 years 50,000 mile servicing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
2 years Warranty and one year included service her in HK.
Japanese manufacturers give her 5 years warranty but no service package.

As the same in Mexico we see a lot of people servicing there car out-side the dealer when warranty expires.

Alex

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
It comes down to what the local distributor of the brand sees fit to provide. Obviously BMW/MINI Australia weren't feeling very generous at the time...

I bought the third year of warranty, and lets just say that I'm glad I did so :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IML337 said:
It comes down to what the local distributor of the brand sees fit to provide. Obviously BMW/MINI Australia weren't feeling very generous at the time...

I bought the third year of warranty, and lets just say that I'm glad I did so :)

Can I ask how much extra you paid for your extra years' warranty? I'm seriously thinking about getting an extra year. My dealer quoted around A$660.

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
I actually paid for Triple Three when I took delivery of my car (over 2 years ago now!) and it was $1300, which included the 3rd year of warranty and free servicing for 60000km

If I recall correctly, the third year of warranty by itself was about $600-$700, so what you've been quoted sounds correct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts