MINI Cooper Forum banner

Why I brought a Peugeot engined Mini Cooper D

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Bigvtwin996 
#1 ·
I have run Peugeots for a long time, mainly motorway miles but covered over 300,000 miles was not a big issue..
When my "Free" C3 Picasso was written off, I wanted something with the same degree of extras but found most were very expensive, then I discovered Cooper D's with a Peugeot engine in and brought one vey cheaply..
Why was the Peugeot engine so good....
Basically they will run for ever is well serviced and looked after..
The older they are the tougher they are, a French friend said of the old 404s "we cook the breakfast and pour the oil into the tank to drive to work."

Well my mini is sorted for the moment, so I am working on my Citroen 20HDI Berlingo which is basicall a Peugeot with a badge... it had sat for 9 years, yet re-seated the injectors i starte dup straight away.. left again for 6 months, it was then took to the workshop, fired up first turn and put on the trailer
It has been run quite a few times to move it around and get it up and down from ramps... never a problem...
Well at some point it will have a full service, and as it was sat with the front end in the air I thought I'd start sorting that... I could not get the air filter box top off so left it until today. and the last screw was removed I was gong to leave it till Monday but naaaahhh I pulled the cover of and found!!!!
Cuisine Cooking Wood Gas Meat

Well clearly while sitting at the other yard some small local furries had decided it was a nice place to make a new home....
I have seen that before when my C3 was parked there.
but the real thing is, notice the large hole that leads to the inlet manifold.....
I don't think they exited via that, I think something sucked the nest away!!
and people worry about a bit of dust going into their engines..
It still runs, there is very little I can do other than strip the engine. but for what reason.. what has gone in has been through and come out....

See less See more
#2 ·
what they are is better value for long time use, parts are so much cheaper than most cars as they use same engines in volvo, ford, mini bmw Citroen Peugeot, the prince engines as a new engine are not that bad , and they get a bad name from past owners who lack of service or think buying any car with nearly 100k and 10 years old with nothing repaired on it as a good buy based on a AA and RAC guide lines that wrongly tell buyers to avoid such cars ,,, when the reality is they are talking about under 4 year old and 70k cars.,, i've had people turn up to buy a mini that just had engine rebuild and everything done on it I would say nearly perfect car and £1000 under its dealer worth and get people say because its had all that done to it by 80k must be a problem and go off and buy another one with nothing done to it at least i have a smile knowing that they really dont know whats coming their way with the car they bought instead as all of them by 100k and 10 years are very much living day by day or mot emissions test by mot emissions test before needing such working doing, mean while someone with a good bit of common sense who bought the car that was rebuilt books it in with me for a service after 8k of trouble free use and still it runs perfectly, my point behind this statement is much of the neg attitudes towards such cars on line is based around many owners and buyers who have no idea what they should buy in the first place, and then who they get to work on it when does play up as many garages dont like them because to complicated to deal with most of the time is my theory, judge this b the amount of garages around me that send me their cant find the fault cars to me etc,

#7 ·
its a funny old world bud, we have the police , and we have judges, we have spelling police who just love to be judges very special lol, the funny bit is this none of them know how to repair their mini lol, lucky got a thick skin and dont care much about anyone's need to be judgemental to feel they are worthy lol, I know my worth at work they charge me out at £70 per hour and to think any advice is free on here lol,

#8 ·
Well your help and advice is always appreciated by me my knowledge has increased loads reading the advice you have given me and many of your other posts.....
I think I am not far from you (relatively at the moment compared to normal)
Near Southampton... Or I would have popped over to have a look at the Mini....
Strange... it seems OK sometimes and lacking power others...
Not sure if it is just me being in higher gears going up inclines....

#9 ·
when I write answers to stuff that is on my mind and I just lazy type as I recall it , also i'm either half a sleep at beginning of day or totally knackered after a long day of under a car, most of my workload is engine stuff so not the easiest of days for sure, it does seem part of such forums where someone who has no idea of the real world and how much doing such help takes out of people like my self who work on carts for a living I guess ,, wish the only thing I had to think about is where and when to stick a few dots and comas etc ,, you might want to live data the car when you get flat spots look to the coolant temps and inlet temps perhaps ,, if engine runs hotter when starts going flat can be down to thermo housing or i have seen one car when radiator got crushed and restricted coolant flow ,, engine got hot the ecu will pull fuel to reduce the effects, live data and temps up you might see the temps peak etc, could even be a faulty thermo housing, more likely a turbo connect fault from many of failed ones I have seen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.