MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Clubman S needs a couple of front tyres, normally an easy task, but I am pulling my hair out here!!
I currently have the Dunlop SP Sport 01 runflats, which are useless, and cost a fortune!!
KwikFit have the Bridgestone RE050 Runflats for £88 each, (Almost half the price of the Dunlop 01'S)
So do I stick with the original Dunlops, which IMO don't grip in the wet, or get the much cheaper RE050 runflats?

The other option is to go for normal tyres as the Clubman has a spare wheel well for a Spacesaver. The downside being, hassle with the car insurance, and finding someone who will fit them, not sure it is going to be worth the hassle going down this route.

My tread is getting lower, and I can't decide what to do!!

Any help?

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
There are quite a few threads already on this topic!

I have to say, I am much impressed with my new Bridgestones, certainly seem much improved over my original Dunlops (but they were 4 years old). But I only have a Cooper, so maybe don't "stress" them the way you might in an S ;)

One comment - strong advice appears to be to put the new rubber on the back, so move your best 2 worn tyres to the front......

And surely your car insurance is not affected either way?

Ian

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read all the threads on this and every other site, and it has made me more confused with regards to normal vs runflat.
In the UK I believe we have to inform the insurance if we ditch the runflats, from what I have read.
Even sticking with runflats seems like a hard decision though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Never heard that before about the insurance, you hardly modifying the car probably comes from the same people that say its illegal in the UK not to carry a spare!?

Ive switched from run flats to non-run flats best thing you can do, the next test will be getting somewhere to fit them, lots of the garages i went to wont do it for some reason, stating that it is illegal as you dont have a spare.

·
The de Chromed MINI
3,218 Posts
just ask them where the spare is in a Porsche boxster/cayman/911 they come with a compressor and a can of tyre weld, same goes with BMW M cars ;)

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Ditch run flats and get 4 Toyo's

Google E Tires, they are mobile fitting and resonable prices (when I last looked anyway!)

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never heard that before about the insurance, you hardly modifying the car probably comes from the same people that say its illegal in the UK not to carry a spare!?
In the Clubman there is a spare wheel well, so I can always shove a space saver in there if they want to see a spare!

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have rung my insurance and they are not bothered about wether the tyres are runflats or not.
Just need to find a fitter who will change the runflats for normal tyres.
Kwik-fit have a good offer on P-Zeros, but I guess they won't change from runflats. :( Looks like this is going to be more of a hassle than the insurance

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just ditched my run flats for Eagle F1's and much better grip, still playing with pressures as light up like mad when pulling away but in the twisty bits much much better. I used a fitter I found via black circles, happily replced RFs with non RFs, just asked me to sign discliamer on invoice that it was done at my request and my responsibility if all goes horribly wrong!!

If the fitter won't accomodate your request you don't wanna use them anyway IMO, they will be some shower who will destroy your rims getting the RFs off in the first place!

·
www.tiovicente*****
130 Posts
Just ditched my run flats for Eagle F1's and much better grip, still playing with pressures as light up like mad when pulling away but in the twisty bits much much better. I used a fitter I found via black circles, happily replced RFs with non RFs, just asked me to sign discliamer on invoice that it was done at my request and my responsibility if all goes horribly wrong!!

If the fitter won't accomodate your request you don't wanna use them anyway IMO, they will be some shower who will destroy your rims getting the RFs off in the first place!
I wouldn't mess about too much with tyre pressures until you've done a few hundred miles and washed off the release agent which doesn't help grip levels.

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

How did you find out if the Black Circles fitter in your area would fit the to runflat wheels. I don't want to order them, and have them turn up only to say they won't fit them

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi, in regards to wheather the Bridgestone tyres are good, I have the Potenza R050A run flats front and back and i find the grip in dry to be excellent and still farily good in the wet, although you have to know when they will let slip and control it etc..

Im really glad i read this post though as i have to buy two new tyres also and the cheapest quote so far where £110 each. So its good to know kwick fit is cheaper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
the next test will be getting somewhere to fit them, lots of the garages i went to wont do it for some reason, stating that it is illegal as you dont have a spare.
That generally gets touted by guys that like to think they know what they're on about but haven't got a clue. You dont need a spare tyre on the car but if you do it has to be road legal. I've been through 2 MOT's without a spare and its not even been commented on.

I dont think the run flats can be all that anyway. I was following an M3 a couple of days ago just after he got a flat and the smell off his run flat was really noxous. Plus he could only do about 10mph before he started fishtailing around. I thought they were supposed to be better than that.

As for grip the same debate comes up time and time again on the MX5 forum. Everyone has their favourties but Toyo proxies always get highly rated. I'm on my second set and cant fault them. Cant remember exact price but through black circles I got 4 195/45/15 proxies for about £45 a corner including fitting. They give you a choice of local fitting centres when you're going through the order so before finally committing to buy you could phone the centre to check whether they'll fit them.

Alternatively you can get really cheap Toyo's off fleabay. You've just got to get somewhere to fit them.

·
JCW 210 apparently not!
516 Posts
i ditched my run flats years ago and have never looked back at trade discount £45 a tyre makes sence, Just carry 2 cans of tyre weld.

The whole thing about a spare is, you dont need one but if you carry one then it must be in road legal condition, same with a fog light if its fitted it must work

·
Registered
48 Posts
How did you find out if the Black Circles fitter in your area would fit the to runflat wheels. I don't want to order them, and have them turn up only to say they won't fit them
Fairly simple really, black circles suggested a fitter who I then googled and called direct, he even matched the black circles price including the 5% promo discount code I found elsewhere :biggrin:

For me the most impressive was that i got no lecture (it is my car and my choice at end of the day) and runflats were removed using correct tools so no damage to the rims etc.

·
Super Kevin Phillips
1,189 Posts
I use etyres.co.uk, they seem to very competively priced and, having mobile fitters, they can fit them when and where you want them. First time I ordered non-runflats from them I got a phone call to confirm that's what I wanted, but the fitter never mentioned it :)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
It easy to find somewhere to fit non RFs to a formally RF shod wheel. In fact most of the tyre places will do it. I have never had an issue on any of my RF shod cars when changing to non RFs.

Insurance was not affected for me, even when i declared it.

I'd sack off the RFs as all brands and models of RF tend to have harsh ride, and poor grip. I have yet to drive an RF fitted car where i thought traction and grip was good when compared to a similar car with non RFs

I'd change them for a set of Vredestien ultracs (excellent tyre in wet and dry and if Poorshe fit em then they can't be bad!)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts