MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi first post but ive been reading the boards for 3 months

I picked up my new silver cooper today great your thinking but the thing pulls so hard to the left if you let go of the steering wheel for more then 2 seconds your on the pavement

I thought this pulling to the left problem had been sorted.

I drove the car for 2 miles and went right back to the dealer, they had driven the car for 18 miles and no one noticed the problem !!!!!

he went for a test drive in it and then booked it in for work on thursday

But i still love the car and i know NEIL the Dealer will read this so "Sort it out good and proper first time or I will reject the car" so get it right please as i really want my mini working at 100%

cheers for the info mini2 members

anyone else had this problem on december 2001 build mini's

·
Registered
272 Posts
ye don't worry about it mate, mine was picked up on dec 18 i think- and i love the car to bits- even with the faults and that includes pulling to the left, squeaky driver seat and rattle under/behind the steering wheel... though my car is to be picked up on thursday for a supposed cure for the pulling problem, i had the squeak sorted out last week so loving it loving it loving it...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh and mini rubber matts /mud flaps on order
standard radio
"soon to be removed already have new faceplate from halfords"

and will be geting the new oil psi and temp sensor
that fits under the crome switches in the dash when its availble (as seen in new catalog)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
black , silver was not availble at the time of order

does anyone know the price of a second remote key

(the tight fisted gits that bmw are!!!)

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Is the standard radio much cop ? I may go for the cd changer and boost as I don't fancy the agro of retro fitting my current system. Dunno how long I could put up with a lousy radio til I got round to changing it.
Are you gonna post some pics SS ?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have a word with your dealer about your old head unit - after chatting to my dealer about my dilemma between retro fitting my current unit or getting a MINI one, he recommended I stuck with the old one I had and offered to fit it FOC!!!

Sorry to hear about your pulling to the left Silver surfer, stick to your guns and let us know how you get on.;)

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Blimey that is generous of them ! My dealer suggested to save a few bob I could fit my own unit. As this is a few years old now I think I'd prefer to go all new ! and if I bought a retro fit new unit I doubt I'd save all that much after fitting it.
Blimey, can't decide on the audio and colour !

·
Registered
374 Posts
Have posted elsewhere, but in reply to the original question my mid December build Cooper (standard sports suspension with 15" wheels) drifts (not pulls) left. May be due to camber but does it even on a road with a gentle camber. Not had chance to find a perfectly flat surface yet.

·
Registered
577 Posts
See if you can find a deserted stretch of road and drive on the right side. If the road camber is the problem, the car should drift right. If it goes perfectly straight, then there is still a slight pull to the left. If the car is neutral, it should drive slightly left on the left of the road, slightly right on the right of the road, and dead center on the crown. Apial's One drifts left over the crown of the road and toward the left curb (kerb.) It has been modified, but is still not right. Hopefully they will get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
213 Posts
mr.bill said:
See if you can find a deserted stretch of road and drive on the right side. If the road camber is the problem, the car should drift right. If it goes perfectly straight, then there is still a slight pull to the left. If the car is neutral, it should drive slightly left on the left of the road, slightly right on the right of the road, and dead center on the crown. Apial's One drifts left over the crown of the road and toward the left curb (kerb.) It has been modified, but is still not right. Hopefully they will get it sorted soon.
Mine is Week 50 build in December. The steering doesn't pull or drift to the left. It is neutral and only lightly follows the left/right cambers depending what lane you're in in. On a flat road it tracks straight. The car is a Cooper with 17" wheels and SS+. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine was wk 49.

The ability to change lanes on the M25 by just lifting my hands off the wheel is an added feature that I don't want in my MINI.

On a road with camber leftside means left pull, rightside means straight line and the crown means slight left.

On a flat surface....you guessed it - left.

Booked in for a "KDS" test next week - only had to wait a month :mad: (Typical dealer scenario, sales - excellent, service - crap).

So much for that BMW quality........I think when it comes time to trade up, I'll be looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a month for "kds" test

my cooper gets tested tommrow

0 waiting time

I love the info on this forum as i know more then the dealers and they dont like that very much !!!

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Don't worry Silver Surfer, BMW will sort it ..... don't know when? ...... but they will sort it. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add my name to the list of late December built cars that drift left. BRG + white Cooper, Chilli, Air, Full Leather, ASC+T...

The drifting is a real pain (literally) especially on motorway trips. I have been able to test the car whilst driving on the right on a quite stretch of road and the drift is strong enough to track the vehicle over the crown. Ho Hum.

The car is booked in for an inspection when a squeaky passenger seat will also be looked at.

These small problems do NOT deminish my reawakened passion for driving. I've got into a bad habit of driving to the station most mornings, even though it's only a short walk away, just so I can have an extended blast on my way home. Not at all egologically sound but too much fun to resist.

...I love my MINI :D

John

·
Registered
272 Posts
yeh sorry to say this lads but mini cannot fix my problem at the moment because bmw have just issued a note to all dealers telling em to stop taking in faulty cars- until they find the exact problem, well something like that

uc my car was supposed to have its shock absorbers changed today but my dealer called me last minute saying that that won't solve the problem definately... oh well i don't mind that much

but i'm sure they'll be on to it quick :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts