MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why the **** Won't MINI Tell Us [email protected]

I mean really...if launch date is March 22 (USA), why won't / can't MINI tell us when we can spec a car? If the correct question is "won't", it's crappy customer relations dontcha think? If it's "can't", and their act still isn't together at this point (4-5 weeks away from launch), the problem is even worse.

I get the sneaking suspicion that it's more of the "can't"...that quality problems are so overwhelming at Oxford that they're unsure when they'll be able to deliver anything other than the cars they're knocking out now. It all reminds me of the Tucker method of auto production and information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ken

I truly understand you. Lately, I've been thinking of just canceling my order (when ever I get to place it, #3 in the list) and get another car. I've not heard anything from my Mini representative or received the mini brochure. Which I think should have been mailed to the people waiting for a mini instead of running out at the auto show. I flew from South Florida to the Detroit show just to see the mini. I'm really getting disappointed on the wait for the Mini and all these stories of problems with the car have me thinking of why should I get this car. I've waited this long just because the isn't any other car in the American market that stirs my soul as the mini does but I'm surely thinking of holding out until the new Lotus Elise gets here.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ken,
You are spot-on with your frustrated observations. The only communication I have had with my dealer has been initiated by me. If MINI/BMW wants to make their excursion into North America successful, they are off to a poor start. Customer satisfaction seems to be a thing of the past, instead we are now "motoring". We have been waiting long enough, when do we get some "satisfaction"????

Tom

·
Registered
237 Posts
I know what you are both talking about. I sometimes think that maybe my dealer is in the dark as much as we are. But then, when he won't even return simple emails, (I mean really, how many can he get in a day from someone who has had $500 down for a year...) I start to think the whole operation is bad.

The mini is showing in Kansas City on Thursday. Today, I received a phone call from a person at my dealership, (not my dealer) about the time and place. She said that the invitations by mail got a little behind and since today was president's day and well, you get the picture. The sad part of this is that a lot of the people getting their minis from Baron live many hours or hundreds of miles away. Letting them know today just seems like total sh#$ to me.

Plus, I am getting tired of telling Baron every time I talk to them that I am not on the S list anymore. I moved to the Cooper list.

Ken, I know you have been around this board for a long time and I have read a lot of your posts. I wish you well and hopefully it will work out great for us all.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
I certainly agree with the comments above, that MINI dealer representatives are lacking in communication skills. Even the SMEs at the auto shows are lacking in knowledge of options on the car or its technical details. I have posted the e-mail I received from my dealer, that also demonstrates the lack of customer relation skills of one particular MINI rep.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4308

·
Registered
612 Posts
Maybe its a British thing but you chaps really need to relax a little. You'll get to spec your cars when its possible to do so. Its quite a quick turnaround once ordered. All this rant about buying a different car really doesn't help anyone and just winds you all up. Remember why you want a MINI, a bit different, not another gas guzzler, a bit of a character, not a jap-mobile. Its not as if MINI have told you all that you can't have a car is it?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I got on an interest list the day my dealership was announced. Since then, I have heard nothing from them. My e-mails to them and to their "parent" BMW dealership have gone unanswered. How hard would it be to send out a simple e-mail each week with "the latest news?" It's almost as if they don't give a tinker's damn if I spend my twenty grand with them or not. I kind of get the feeling that they intend to use the MINI as a "bait-and-switch" to talk potential customers into a more expensive (and more profitable) BMW model. At this point, I am totally disgusted with the whole process. I have wanted a MINI since I saw it in a magazine nearly five years ago. It is the only car that really appeals to me, but I'm left with a bitter taste in my mouth over the way things are going. I might reconsider in a year, if they get all the bugs worked out. But if present trends continue, Consumer Reports will test one and kill the sales of it, as they did with several other cars they rated as "not acceptable."

·
Registered
663 Posts
This all reminds me when the Subaru WRX was coming to USA and it seemed to take forever to arrive.All the info was thru the web and "unofficial".I think with the internet news is faster and waing seems longer.Once the WRX came it did in droves...so don,t worry it is worth the wait for a car this great(the Mini)!!!:) :) :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
M.

I hear ya. Remembering why I want a mini is what keeps me going. I have no intention of getting anything else. Nor do I believe that this is a BMW bait and switch.

I am just looking for some good ole American common courtesy. Presently, there has been little displayed.;)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
You guys really need to cool down a bit! I don't think most of the dealer have had anything resembling a staff in place to handle Minis until VERY recently, just BMW sales people doing double duty. Add to that the fact that they are scrambling to set up new dealerships and I can see why they don't have too much time to baby us. Be patient, every thing will fall into line in the next month.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes I must admit I'm eager to get my hands on a MINI but I'm not going to buy something else just because my MINI dealer doesn't have all the answers to all my questions. The wait for most of us to actually drive a MINI will be over in about a month from now and I'm quite sure within the next few weeks things will start to heat up so hang in there until then....;)

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
If you think the lack of information from your dealers now is frustrating, wait until you get your cars.

When you get them, you will love them and want to know all there is to know about them. And when you ask your dealer the question, he will be unable to answer it.

Now if that doesn't drive you round the bend nothing will.;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
So...to add some good news to this thread. I got a package today from the director of MINI sales at East Bay MINI with a little MINI model car, the book of motoring and a poster. The guy is new - so he introduced himself, gave us his business hours and told us to call or email any time with questions.

I know the wait has been forever - and I am starting to get really anxious - but no amount of dealer pain or horror stories from the UK can disuade me from buying this car. If all of you would rather wait or buy something else - you'll get no arguments from me. Just means I get mine sooner!

shawna

·
MINI2 co-founder
653 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again - get your MINI at Patrick MINI in Chicago!!! :)

I got a call 2 weeks ago from my dealer...one of many calls I have gotten from them as well as tons of stuff mailed out. Most of this yes when I was still formerly with MINI2.com, but I have talken to others that have had the same experiences with them so I know it is not just me. But anyway 2 weeks ago I got a call at work from Patrick MINI and they wanted my spec. They said that they can't guarntee that one of the first cars that comes in meets that spec, but they did say they are going to try very hard to get the first several in to the spec that the top people on the list want. (Funny part is when he called I told him I'd get back to him tommorow, as I was still trying to make up my mind on a few things....well I got really busy with work over the next two days and forgot to call him back(yea yea i know how the hell could i forget)...but a few days later he calls back to get the spec. Patrick MINI in Chicago has always shown me great customer support....sometimes information comes slow to them and the other dealerships...and they aren't afraid to say they haven't got that info yet etc...but atleast they haven't forgotten about customer support and trying to help out anyway they can.

I give them 2 thumbs up...and really think a lot of other dealerships could learn a few things from them.

Cheers

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
I've never had any call from my dealer to tell me anything. It's always me who has to do that. I'm #1 on his list for an S (for nearly 8 months), but it seems they don't give a damn. There is still NO official spec in the Netherlands, the price I had to see in the press, not told by the dealer. Nothing from MINI.nl. It has really put me off the MINI at this point (together with the loads of posts here and in magazines of the shoddy built quality: Top Gear has rewarded the MINI for best small car, but the give a warning towards buyers about the built quality!). There are plenty MINIs on the second hand market with only a couple of miles on them (no demo's) from people who want to get rid off their cars (I guess)

It's a real shame, all this has already spoiled my MINI adventure :( !

Seems like I'm becoming OnlyR4me again....

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
M said:
Maybe its a British thing but you chaps really need to relax a little. You'll get to spec your cars when its possible to do so. Its quite a quick turnaround once ordered. All this rant about buying a different car really doesn't help anyone and just winds you all up. Remember why you want a MINI, a bit different, not another gas guzzler, a bit of a character, not a jap-mobile. Its not as if MINI have told you all that you can't have a car is it?
The ONLY rational (and from Scotland too) post amongst the lot of you.....

I understand the frustration, but there is no point in getting all wound up about it. If you've ordered your SPECIAL car, just sit back and wait for it to happen, which it will.

I have given up my frustrations and am happy to wait. I KNOW it will be worth it, and the later it is, the more options I will add........and the less (potential) problems there will be with the car.

Come on now OnlyS4me, you know you don't mean that..... :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts