MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the latest explanation of why there are currently no MINI dealers in the state of Texas.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/stories/mini_26bus.ART.9ea83.html

If what the article says is true, with the X5 lawsuit now settled, it certainly looks like BMW is in no hurry at all to open MINI dealers in this state - which is tremendously disappointing. With 21 million people in Texas (second only to California) it is difficult to understand BMW's strange motives.

I can only hope that as the MINI's popularity grows throughout the US, and as both BMW dealers and potential customers in Texas speak a little louder, BMW will finally relent and allow MINI dealers in this state.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
I thought that the problem was BMW couldn't just offer MINI franchises to a restricted number of BMW dealerships. Didn't a Texas dealer who wasn't offered a franchise file suit against BMW? Is this article presenting the whole story? :confused:

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MINIAC said:
I thought that the problem was BMW couldn't just offer MINI franchises to a restricted number of BMW dealerships. Didn't a Texas dealer who wasn't offered a franchise file suit against BMW? Is this article presenting the whole story? :confused:
My previous understanding was that it originally wasn't about the MINI but was about the X5 SUV (and the MINI by extension). BMW only allowed some of its dealers to sell the X5 SUV and a BMW dealer who was excluded sued BMW under some Texas law saying every franchaise should be able to offer a full product line to its customers - in this case the full BMW line including the X5.

Now that the X5 suit is settled (unfavorably to BMW), it simply appears that BMW has filed paperwork with the state to be able to sell the MINI, but intentionlly did not list a single MINI dealership where the car is to be sold. Hence the state can not process the incomplete paperwork.

Hard to figure the business sense of that!

·
Registered
20 Posts
no MINI dealers in Texas

Are any dealers in Texas taking deposits or making an interest list, even though no dealerships have been awarded. With long lists elsewhere, this might be a possible route to getting a car quicker if BMW decides to grace Texas with a francise or two

·
Registered
930 Posts
So Bruce, what are you going to do? Are going to drive the 500 miles to buy your MINI then make the long drive for maintenance? Just curious.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've sent e-mails to miniusa and bmwusa expressing my displeasure over this situation. I would recommend that everyone else in Texas do likewise and be sure to mention that this situation is negatively affecting your view of BMW (and not just Mini).

As a side annoyance, the miniusa contact page doesn't give you the e-mail address to contact, and provides a form which doesn't support copy and paste. :confused:

--Will

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
S2000&CooperS said:
So Bruce, what are you going to do? Are going to drive the 500 miles to buy your MINI then make the long drive for maintenance? .....
Yes I am. The dealer where I will purchase is 1,000 miles away in St. Louis and the dealer I'll use for service until hell freezes over or BMW wises up (same thing) and establishes dealers in Texas is 500 miles away in New Orleans.

Yes I am mad. (meant both ways :) )

I'm counting on the MINI's roadside assistance coverage to take care of transporting the car to the nearest dealer if it is undriveable. Otherwise, normal servicing will be a several day affair. :(

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hoopshot said:
I've sent e-mails to miniusa and bmwusa expressing my displeasure over this situation. I would recommend that everyone else in Texas do likewise and be sure to mention that this situation is negatively affecting your view of BMW (and not just Mini).
That's a good idea - it sure can't hurt.

As a side annoyance, the miniusa contact page doesn't give you the e-mail address to contact, and provides a form which doesn't support copy and paste. :confused:

--Will
Not only does it not support cut and paste, it likely doesn't get read by MINIUSA. My experience is you are very lucky to get a reply, and if you do, it is most often a form letter. (but there have been the odd exceptions...)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Slightly OT - MINIUSA web site email form

Sorry to continue off topic, but I sent an email to the MINI USA webmaster through the form about the website having a typo. Specifically, one of the specs pages listed "open-wide fornt doors" (see FORNT). I received a reply in one day, although it did look a bit formish.

This was yesterday (when the reply was received) and a quick check of the site reveals that the error is still there. Hmmmm....

Oh well...
USAGooner

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: no MINI dealers in Texas

jailed said:
Are any dealers in Texas taking deposits or making an interest list, even though no dealerships have been awarded. With long lists elsewhere, this might be a possible route to getting a car quicker if BMW decides to grace Texas with a francise or two
Yes, I've got a $500 deposit at the local BMW dealer who assures me that someday he will get a MINI franchise - other people are on the list as well and I'm sure other BMW dealers across Texas are taking MINI deposits from desperate Texans who want to buy a MINI.

The only thing MINI-related at that dealership is a Maistro 1/18 Cooper model on a salesperson's desk. Even though I have two deposits at actual MINI dealers (out of state :( ), I put the deposit down at the local BMW dealer last summer just to "cover all the bases".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts