MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really..if you think they're worthwhile, please convince me. I've driven for 30 years without them, and my logic is that once the heat is working, they seem to be redundant. I know they may be nice on my arthritic old spine, but do I really want to be lulled into a relaxed state when I'm driving a missile ("S" on order) that's slightly bigger than a bread box?

Thanks in advance for your opinions...both ways.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Heated seats?

Just FART it does the same job :D :D :D :D :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Ken, heated seats are like any other luxury item - after having them once you'll likely want them again.

Here in Texas, heated seats are obviously not really needed, but they do show up on cars here. My wife's Nissan Maxima, (purchased used), has them and they are useful in taking the chill off the cold leather seats on cool mornings (it was 33 degrees here today so it does get relatively chilly - I used to live in Chicago so I know what cold is).

Once the Nissan is warmed up, the seats can be switched to the low setting which is nice and comfy - not too hot. On the other end of the spectrum a friend of mine has a new Monte Carlo SS with seat warmers - (he used to live up north and that's why he got the seats). Actually blast furnaces would be a better description for these seats. Unlike the Maxima which takes its time heating up the seats, the Monte could grill steaks on its leather seats after about a minute of turning them on. To my tastes, these things are overkill - useful for the first 5 minutes until the car interior heats up. But my friend loves them for his bad back and leaves his seat on long after I can't stand it anymore, so it's really a personal choice.

Perhaps you could test drive a car with heated seats and try them out for yourself?

·
MINI2 Freak
122 Posts
Ken,

I have heated seats fitted to my cooper and I seriously recommend them if you are having leather seats as they do get very cold, especially at the mo and the seats heat up wuicker than the climate control so they help warm you up!!! If you're not having leather then maybe they really are a luxury! but in terms of them getting too hot, they don't. They warm up to a nice temp and then they ease off and warm up again once the seat temperature has cooled.

Jon

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dad's turbocharged Volvo has seat warmers. Last week when it was about 8 below I swapped cars with him as he wanted a blast in my BMW MINI and I wanted to travel in warmth.

I realised that the speed of the BMW MINI Cooper was only moderate when I opened the taps in the Volvo and let the turbo spin. Maybe I should sell my Cooper for a profit and place an order for an 'S'. Hmmmm

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just a thought

If there is a cloth option, that is to your tastes, it will not get nearly as cold or hot in extreme weather. Plus cloth will hold you in alot better than leatherette or leather. This will save you money on the heated seats and the leather!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Asscon...

coopercrazy said:
If there is a cloth option, that is to your tastes, it will not get nearly as cold or hot in extreme weather. Plus cloth will hold you in alot better than leatherette or leather. This will save you money on the heated seats and the leather!
Presumably if you have heated leather seats you also need to add sports seats to stop you sliding round when your arse gets sweaty & aircon to cool you down again:D

Save yourselves some money guys - Buy a hot water bottle or thicker underpants:eek:

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
If you get leather seats you must get the heated seat option. My GranPrix is all leather and you freeze your fanny off without the heated seats and I don't mean maybe! On high it feels like you are sitting on a mig welder, on low it feels great. We keep a blanket in the car for the other seats for folks to sit on cuz they are so cold. I suppose that's good hemmoroid therapy, tho!:eek:
Consider resale value too.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Re: Asscon...

rich said:

Presumably if you have heated leather seats you also need to add sports seats to stop you sliding round when your arse gets sweaty & aircon to cool you down again:D

Save yourselves some money guys - Buy a hot water bottle or thicker underpants:eek:
I second that:p

They are a total waste of money.

LMB:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brrrrrr!

Did you know that the first thing the Swedes and Norwegians put in a car is heated seats!

Well all the hire cars I've used over there had them and sometimes very little else except a crappy radio. Headlamp washers are also compulsary in one or both of these wonderful countries.

If you live in very cold climates they're obviously essential but for the UK ???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Brrrrrr!

PsychoPhil said:

If you live in very cold climates they're obviously essential but for the UK ???
Not if you look at the opposite condition. I've had air conditioning in my cars for well over 10 years now in the UK. When I first purchased the option, everyone (be it family, friends or colleagues) thought I was crazy at spending £1500+ in those days on air conditioning, but the benefits (as are those for heated seats) were obvious to me. Nowadays, every new car above say £15k is expected to have air con as standard.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Re: Re: Brrrrrr!

InsiderMINI said:

Not if you look at the opposite condition. I've had air conditioning in my cars for well over 10 years now in the UK. When I first purchased the option, everyone (be it family, friends or colleagues) thought I was crazy at spending £1500+ in those days on air conditioning, but the benefits (as are those for heated seats) were obvious to me. Nowadays, every new car above say £15k is expected to have air con as standard.
Cool air is one thing, a sweaty arse is another:p

I have heated seat on my Volvo and they are useless.

LMB:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Weird - my leather seats in the Cooper 35 feel pretty warm after about 2 mins of sitting on them even during the coldest of weather! Guess I have a hotter backside than most :p

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Andrewfuzzy said:
SOD THE SEATS AND PETITION FOR HEATED STEERINGWHEEL INSTEAD!!!

:D :D
I think Dogger would prefer a heated knob. (gearstick of course......silly people)

I'm suprised no one mentioned it.

:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Short story

Ken, I have been driving for just short of 40 years, My wife and I took her car to the dealer for service and the salesman loaned us an Audi A6 to go get lunch etc. It was cold and snowing. We got in the car and I started it up and pulled out onto the street. The steering wheel got warm, and the seats got HOT within 1 minute (had to turn the dials down from 6 to 2). To make a long story short, within 6 months we both ordered new cars from the dealer. Her Boxster S and my Audi S4 BOTH now have seat heaters and we would never be without them. Hers are very nice with the top down in the late fall/early spring, and my car sits outside so they are great in the winter in MD.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have them in mine and can't recommend them enough.

I never would have ordered them had I been ordering the car new, but I bought it second hand and it was an option, didn't think much of it but now I can't see myself getting another car without.

Even if it's not particularly cold, having them on the low setting gives off a small amount of heat but just nice. Obviously if it's very colds can't see why anyone wouldn't want them.

They actually work very well too, my parents have them and to be honest they're absolutely crap, take forever to warm up and the distribution of heat is poor, compared to my MINI where it all seems right! I was shocked but as I say, amazing value for money.

Do it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have them in mine and can't recommend them enough.

I never would have ordered them had I been ordering the car new, but I bought it second hand and it was an option, didn't think much of it but now I can't see myself getting another car without.

Even if it's not particularly cold, having them on the low setting gives off a small amount of heat but just nice. Obviously if it's very colds can't see why anyone wouldn't want them.

They actually work very well too, my parents have them and to be honest they're absolutely crap, take forever to warm up and the distribution of heat is poor, compared to my MINI where it all seems right! I was shocked but as I say, amazing value for money.

Do it!
Nice thread revival!

Pretty sure the OP would have already received his Mini without heated seats

1 - 20 of 33 Posts