MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do a wide arch kit , made in plastic ,as the original arches,with the original mounting system Ie as a direct swap .
The issue is how wide? +1/2 inch,3/4 inch,1 inch,11/2 inch ,2 inch or more?
for these I have to commission moulds to be made and they run into £1000s....each.
SO it is crucial that the width appeals to most owners,your opinion would be a great help.

Also which to do first COOPER OR COOPER S ?- As the original arch trims differ on the bumper sections and again on the aerokit bumper ,this would require an additional 8 moulds to be made,which I am unwilling to do at this time.
What interest would there be for these here? . is it better to make them for the US market (COOPER S )with the extra lights in the trims
They would cost around £300 a set as a guide price ,
Also is it best to have dimpled finish as the original or smooth finish ,to allow easier colour coding(although this would not match the sills )
A

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
i would guess an inch would be good
1] its american
2] bbk and wheel spacers, are about 10-20mm is anyone using more than 25mm wheel spacers?
3] smooth, a bad paint job would give you orange peel for free
not sure on lights, markers or blanks for uk?

not sure price wise, seems good value compared to aero kit, would most customers wants fronts only for 150? thinking bbk again rather than a style item

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
I would go for half an inch probably as, i had to file the bottom of my arch away so the wheels didnt catch with the coilovers right down.

Main reason was because i had to put 10mm spacers to get the wheels to fit in with the coilovers, half an inch would be excellent

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
1 inch is a lot, thats 2 overall!

I would like to see 20mm ish

If you went for a smooth finish then they could be paint textured just like aero bumpers but you would keep both types happy!

And yes cooper S as ones and coopers can fit S bumpers at the same time!

Its a product we have been asked for many times. :)

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Any more news on this??

half an inch per arch would be a good increase for me. When i turn my wheels they touch the arch now my car is that low so i need the extra room to go lower and also have less scrapge.

·
Noob
247 Posts
1 inch would be great. Anything less won't be that noticable .. would it?

Also .. with an inch wider each side, would it look funny with the standard wheels, or would you need to go wider already?

·
Registered
15 Posts
any news??? I'd love to get these!

I definitely like the idea of a direct replacement for the factory ones. It would be great if they were offered in the same finish as the factory ones are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts