MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks Paul, I agree it will be difficult to give driving impressions of a car that has not been released, that was why I was asking for Mini driving impressions in general. If the members reported similar general impressions of a Mini 2 then we would take a note of these when we took our next drive, notchy gearbox, turbo lag, noisy over bumps, stiff clutch or what ever. Just things we could look out for.

·
Life after MINI
424 Posts
Thanks Paul, I agree it will be difficult to give driving impressions of a car that has not been released, that was why I was asking for Mini driving impressions in general. If the members reported similar general impressions of a Mini 2 then we would take a note of these when we took our next drive, notchy gearbox, turbo lag, noisy over bumps, stiff clutch or what ever. Just things we could look out for.
I can tell you about my MINI Cooper (petrol not diesel)

1) Powerful enough to be good fun
2) Averaging 38 mpg over the first 1,800 miles
3) No rattles or odd noises
4) Gearbox is 'snick snick' smooth between all gears - addictive
5) Handles bumps perfectly fine - ride is smooth on standard 15 inch wheels with normal tyres (not runflats)
6) Clutch is nicely weighted, but has quite a long travel - be careful to make sure you press it right into the carpet before changing gear, or you might find the gearbox harder work than it really is.
7) Brakes are fiercely strong !

Things to look out for

a) Bonnet alignment especially over front wheel arches can be poor
b) Bonnet release catch can be extremely stiff
c) Electric door mirrors sometimes reluctant to move
d) Takes a little while to get the seat in the right position
e) Air conditioning works, but is not particularly powerful
f) Radio sound quality is not brilliant - lacking in bass
g) Drivers side carpets move around a lot - make sure it doesn't obstruct the pedals
h) The seatbelt can get trapped between the door moulding and the rear plastics - there is a sliding plastic clip which you can adjust to stop this happening
i) Use the gears - performance can be poor if you labour the engine - may be different in the Diesel
j) Warning light for boot open might come on - switch is too sensitive out of the factory
k) Standard headlights are rotten - you need Xenon's if you intend to drive at night - trust me on this one thing if nothing else

And finally - a more massive car with larger crumple zones is safer than a lighter car with smaller crumple zones. Don't say I didn't tell you !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cheers Wiggis, thats exactly what I was hoping for, we are trying to arrange a mid week test drive so we can go for a longer and more thorough test. Now we have a few things to check out, you never can cover all the ins and outs ,but it pays to ask first than ask yourself later why you didn't ask first:hmph:

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts

·
Life after MINI
424 Posts
The Voyager has a shocking result, no doubt ...... but it weighs 2068 kgs compared to the Corsa, which weighs 1075 kgs. Consider a real world crash between those two cars in particular....

In a head on collision when both cars are doing 30 mph, at the point immediately after collision, the combined mass of both cars will be heading down the road in the direction that the Voyager was travelling at a speed of about 9.5 mph - resulting from conservation of momentum ((2068 * 30 mph) - (1075 * 30 mph)) / (2068+1075).

Looking at force equivalences, passengers in the Voyager would have experienced the same physical effects as if they had crashed into a solid block of concrete at 20.5 mph, whereas passengers in the Corsa would have experienced the effects of a crash into solid concrete at 39.5 mph.

Even though the Corsa is a much safer design, I would still place my bets on the Voyager passengers walking away from it, and the Corsa occupants being in hospital - purely as a result of the difference in masses of the cars.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
My only head on crash was in a classic Mini against a Range Rover. They were both written off, but somehow we managed to walk away! :eek: I wouldn't advise testing it though!

And in many ways it does feel safer floating around in the in-laws XC90 than in the MINI, mostly because you think if anything does hit us it will be swallowed up by our undercarriage, but in other ways it feels a bit hairy (due to the comparative lack of grunt and manoeuvrability).

·
MINIMAT
813 Posts
I was watching a late night programme on the OU that covered crashes. Once you start crashing at above 30mph you have other things to worry about regardless of what you are sitting in.

The vehicle is going forward at 70mph. You hit something head on. Your body comes to a stop thanks to the seat belt etc. Your internal organs don't. Your heart is still going forward and the arteries connecting to it may rip out. At that point you are a gonner anyway regardless as to whether anything has physically hit you inside the car.

Here's a Smart Car getting crashed:

YouTube - smart car crash

You need to note the comments at the end. Even though the occupant inside wouldn't have been touched in both cars you still might have been killed from the crash from arteries ripping out of internal organs

·
Let the Cooper D come...
14 Posts
I was watching a late night programme on the OU that covered crashes. Once you start crashing at above 30mph you have other things to worry about regardless of what you are sitting in.

The vehicle is going forward at 70mph. You hit something head on. Your body comes to a stop thanks to the seat belt etc. Your internal organs don't. Your heart is still going forward and the arteries connecting to it may rip out. At that point you are a gonner anyway regardless as to whether anything has physically hit you inside the car.

Here's a Smart Car getting crashed:

YouTube - smart car crash

You need to note the comments at the end. Even though the occupant inside wouldn't have been touched in both cars you still might have been killed from the crash from arteries ripping out of internal organs
Indeed.
I wonder what the G-Forces would be on a body, going from 60 to 0 in a millisecond...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
11 Participants
svendekoster
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing