MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
we just got our '04 MCS, and I plan to put studded snow tires on it this winter.
The 16" rims on her won't have enough room for these tires, but there are 15" tires that would fit. Will standard Mini 15" rims fit on the Cooper S? Is there enough room for the brakes?

Thanks in advance,

P&K

:indi: :)

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
If you haven't changed anything, they'll fit fine. MCS' and MCs have the same brakes.

You can also buy any 15" wheel that fits the MINI bolt pattern, which is cheaper then buying the MINI ones at a dealer (but probably not cheaper then buying them used off Ebay)

Here's some good examples:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45381

You may want to reconsider studded snows though, almost everyone feels the performance with a snow+ice tire is excellent, and you avoid the noise + road damage associated with studs. I'd be interested in your logic of choosing studs. What state are you in?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. We're in Eastern Oregon. In the winter, the interstate has traction tires/devices required. I know that because I drive a snowplow in winter! Last winter I was running a Land Rover Discovery with studded, siped snow tires. No problems at all. So I wanted the same for my wife's MCS. I have those same tires on my Range Rover now, they're the only way to go. We asked out local tire dealer about studs on the 16" rims but they are too tall. I'll let you know how it goes!

Cheers,

P.

·
No Steenkin Preevileeg
664 Posts
15's will work fine

I know folks that run 15" wheels w/185/65 Blizzaks on all 4 with their MCS and they literally don't need studs, they do so well in the snow and ice--better than most SUVs (as long as the snow doesn't get too deep) I see no problems at all; I'd do the same with mine except for all that MagChloride KAKA they spray all over the roads here in the winter. Boy is that some corrosive stuff!! Jimbo

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Makes sense, and a lot better then snow chains. If you're worried about fitting on wheels, check out the various sizes that fit on a 15" wheel. some of them are slightly smaller then the 16" and some are slightly bigger. Of course it depends on which particular tire you get, but there a lot of options (in both 15" and 16" actually) if you go outside the standard MINI size, which is pretty common. Check out the FAQ on tires for the size options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
RobHardyUK
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing