MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i fitted my jcw/gtt hybrid airbox and have noticed a quite a big increase in combined mpg - from 22 to 27. i disconnected the negative terminal before fitting. driven around 100 miles since, urban and A road, (i removed all the electrical stuff,spring loaded plate,vacuum hoses etc. and taped over the small holes left at the front and side and opened up the lower hole in the back of the airbox), car feels a bit faster, although this may be in my head, i was expecting a drop in fuel economy, not an increase - i wonder if the remap on my car has been cleared - any thoughts?

i checked my old airbox - and it's fine - the car had a bbr conversion 8 months ago (19%pulley,bbr cylinder head,bbr cam,miltek exhaust) and the filters in the standard airbox were changed to k&n panel filters- which look as new in case the old filters were fouled and this is the reason for the increase in economy. the other mod i did was to fit the larger mini cooper gp intercooler.- without the intercooler cover - (did install the bonnet scoop underside & liner) presumably a black cover will only make the intercooler warmer?

there doesn't seem to be a big difference in the performance of the car, but then again i guess an intercooler and airbox would compensate for a standard map?

i had reset my mpg counter around a month ago so the figure of 22 is accurate. it never really increased - had been around 27-30 before i had the bbr conversion. hence my query about the map.

i suspect i'll need to dyno the car at some point and see what it's putting down.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
The only portion of the ECU that will be lost with a battery disconnect are the ones that pertain to the car learning the driver. These are generally regained in a matter of seconds after you drive the car. Other than that, the car will retain it's ECU information without power.

·
Registered
49 Posts
you are allowing the engine to breathe better with the new air filter.
Generally anything which improves breathing will improve economy providing you drive the same.

For comparison I used to struggle to get average 28 mpg on my fuel computer before my mods, I noticed at each stage of modding the economy improved. Now after the 1320 cam and remap I am getting high 32s mpg.

My driving style is smooth and 'make progress' when on my own, and smooth and steady when with my wife - driving style that is :rolleyes:.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I'm still not convinced that removing the battery actually clears the MINI adaptions. I'll have to test one day :)
It does clear out some minimal things that are generally relearned in a matter of seconds. ;) No performance increase is achieved.....

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Running the GP inter cooler without the black cover will not give the desired air flow through the cooler - so you will not see any potential benefits of the new larger cooler,

Is there a reason why you did not fit it ??

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re: intercooler casing

Running the GP inter cooler without the black cover will not give the desired air flow through the cooler - so you will not see any potential benefits of the new larger cooler,

Is there a reason why you did not fit it ??
i though the scoop would create the air flow, the casing looks more like style over substance - surely less of the intercooler is in contact with oncoming air with the case on, and the case will presumably act as insulation - decreasing the intercooler's cooling properties? i know alot of aftermarket intercooler's have air diverters, but they don't have a casing like this.

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
i though the scoop would create the air flow, the casing looks more like style over substance - surely less of the intercooler is in contact with oncoming air with the case on, and the case will presumably act as insulation - decreasing the intercooler's cooling properties? i know alot of aftermarket intercooler's have air diverters, but they don't have a casing like this.
If you look at the black cover it also has a diverter built into it - forcing air into the back rows of the cooler.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
re:

If you look at the black cover it also has a diverter built into it - forcing air into the back rows of the cooler.
i noticed that, i just wonder it it actually is effective. - channeling air that's already being channeled by a scoop - if you look at an equivalent intercooler like the grs - it doesn't have this. it has a modified air diverter like the the gp intercooler but no cover with a diverter built into it, i think the effective ness of the case is questionable. - at high speed you've got loads of air coming, in and the case isn't going to concentrate this air i think, and you have the lining on the inside of the bonnet which forms a seal, and at low speed, the diverters in the casing will do very little at all, if anything, they'll keep the intercooler warmer i think. GRS Motorsport : Quality Aluminium Products

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Believe me it is required

If you still doubt me ask Graham at GRS - to be effetive a GRS needs all of it's bits and so does a GP.

The outer scoop and the inner black item work together to ensure that air flow is achieved through ALL of the cores

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
re:

i stand corrected,:) the casing is going back on tomorrow, the car is feeling faster overall, i guess that's the airbox. should be even better tomorrow!:red:

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
I spent a while testing it and I was quite suprised also but the works one has a raised lip at the back to catch air even better than the stock. I even put a brand new seal on and once it seals properly it makes a massive different to the temp recovery times.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spent a while testing it and I was quite suprised also but the works one has a raised lip at the back to catch air even better than the stock. I even put a brand new seal on and once it seals properly it makes a massive different to the temp recovery times.
okay, and with the tight seal, was there a difference in temp recovery times with the case on and off as well? i've got the bbr ram which promotes increased air flow through the intercooler vertically.(although i don't know by how much)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts