MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, its snowing hard for one of the first times of the year here. i need to travel about 75 miles one way and then back today. by the time i come back the roads will be icy and have an inch or two of snow. i will be driving the freeway at 60+ MPH. and i have the cooper sport with the performace run flats. never driven with this car or tires in the snow. are the tires that dangerous? or will i manage????? anyone have experience with these tires in bad wintery weather??? i'm used to driving in the snow, just not with a cooper on stock sport tires. i wanted to wait before spending$$$ on winters to see if i can drive on the performace tires. my dealer said they are fine for winter. am i going to regret this????

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
flav said:
its snowing hard for one of the first times of the year here. i need to travel about 75 miles one way and then back today. by the time i come back the roads will be icy and have an inch or two of snow. i will be driving the freeway at 60+ MPH. and i have the cooper sport with the performace run flats. never driven with this car or tires in the snow.
I wouldn't be driving 60+ MPH under these circumstances :eek:

·
kgouin
481 Posts
My Mini came with the 16" run flat performance tires but I put winter tires on. I personally won't drive in the winter weather with performance tires but I did talk with someone that has the performance tires and she kept them on all last winter and said she had no problems but I don't know how far she travels.

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, made the ride. it did not snow like i thought. but it snowed like 10 inches yesterday. the car handles just fine with the 16 inch performance runflats. keep in mind i did not take it in the freeway yet with these tires in the snow. but on normal streets, not plowed, at speeds up to 40 mph they work just fine. and any slippage that does happen the DSC kicks in and takes care of the job. i even took it into an icy snowy parking lot and drove the car abit harder and slippage was very minor. i did not experience the 360s everybody here claims happens when someone tries to drive on the 16 inch mini sport tires in the snow.

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HAHAHA.....believe me 60+ MPH in cleveland in snow is slow. people drive 65-70 MPH in the snow all the time. if you try and go 50 MPH on the freeway here (even on a fully covered snow/icy road) you will get plowed over by people doing at least 10-20 MPH faster than you. you are better off going 65 MPH and hopiing you dont slide instead of going 45 - 50 MPH and getting rear ended or tailgated.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
flav said:
HAHAHA.....believe me 60+ MPH in cleveland in snow is slow. people drive 65-70 MPH in the snow all the time. if you try and go 50 MPH on the freeway here (even on a fully covered snow/icy road) you will get plowed over by people doing at least 10-20 MPH faster than you. you are better off going 65 MPH and hopiing you dont slide instead of going 45 - 50 MPH and getting rear ended or tailgated.
Chicago and Detroit the same. About seven years ago, made a trip home from Chicago to Detroit during a massive blizzard on I-94. People wouldn't slow down, even in bumper-to-bumper. I counted over forty vehicles, everything from cars, truck, rigs, caravans, and even buses, flipped over, burning, gutted, or smashed up on the side of the freeway in about a fifty mile stretch alone. It was like "Mad Max in Winter."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.