MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed these ??
How are they compared with the other big names like Brembo, APracing, Stoptech..etc ???

According to their website it would fit 16' rims.
Can anyone confirm this? :confused:

Thanks in advance ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have seen them put on two friend's cars and I can tell you they work very well. I dont know about 16" rims but I can tell you that the calipers are billet and therefore narrower and this will make 17" fitment FAR easier. Many rims will fir without spacers.

I have Stoptech Brakes with Axxis Ultimate pads and I will put them up against anything for stopping power but the calipers make alomst all 17" rims require a spacer.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wilwood are pretty good, the main thing is that you can get them pretty cheap. Over on Cliosport.net people are getting whole kits for about £300 (not including the adapters to fit calipers on).

AP Racing are the best in the world, there are no doubts about that. Brembo are an odd one, road applications in some cases can be pretty awful, though you can blame the manufacturers a bit for that (but should Brembo compromise their image?). Most of their aftermarket conversions are pretty good, but i've experienced some which aren't all that. Its important to make sure when getting a kit you know that the calipers are latest generation.

-Rob

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thaks all for your info,

I like Apracing over Brembo too.
Just the way the need to be mounted (with spacers).
I would like to keep 16' rims. So it will not infuence the handling of this MCS.
Also to shed some unsprung wheight.
So these are the main issue for choosing Wilwood brakes.
They "seem" to fit on 16' rims.
I won't be doing much track or autox.. not available here :( .
But I do take a lot of mountain roads.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tarox Ten-Pot Brake Kit

Don't discount the Tarox ten-pot brake kit. I have these on my beast with tarox's heat-treated grooved rotors front & back."Awesome" is the only word- but you'd better upgrade your tyres to increase grip to make the most of what they can do!

Don't listen to the BS about having ten-pot calipers throwing out your front-to-rear brake balance & thereby upsetting the ABS. The total combined piston volume (as opposed to piston "area") is sized to work with the Mini master cylinder. The evenness of pressure applied across the pad with this set up makes them competitive with anything out there!

Remember NO ONE does brake fluid like CASTROL SRF. Other fluids may get close to SRF on dry boiling point, but nothing can compare for wet boiling point (that is boiling point with water contamination).

·
SCCA ClubRallyists
214 Posts
Wilwood actually makes two kits for the MINI. One kit is a "street kit" and the other is a "race kit". The race kit will allow fitment of 15" wheels. I saw a guy at a local auto-x this weekend that had the race kit. Very cool! He also mentioned he was working on building a custom rear kit using the same Wilwood calipers.

-Dave & Stacy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Penguinracer,

I know about the Tarox kit, a magazine has done a cooper s special modification 2 months ago.
It has the tarox kit fitted front and rear. SSR comp 17' ,Carbon fiber hood, light flywheel, etc..
Just a racing car. Very nice but I need a "affordable" street kit.

Dave and Stacy,
I'm looking for information on the street kit.
Will these fit 16' SSR Comps??

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dave&Stacy said:
Very cool! He also mentioned he was working on building a custom rear kit using the same Wilwood calipers.
Wont that mess up the brake balance of the car?

I have been looking at the race kit as well because i want to move down to 15 inch wheels eventually, so these would be perfect

·
SCCA ClubRallyists
214 Posts
Yes...it will mess up the balance. As such, an adjustable brake bias valve will be needed in the cockpit. Or you could go to a dual master cylinder setup which would be wicked in an MINI.

-Dave & Stacy

·
Registered
61 Posts
AP Racing Kit - West Tuning

I think there is a more cost-effective AP Racing four-pot set-up. You could talk to Ray West at West Tuning (01264 77 3839).

I wouldn't recommend racing brake kits without checking first that the callipers have dust seals, most race kits don't.

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
I ordered my WW 15" race kit (11.75") back in Aug from Todd at TCE. I got them sometime in September, but have been too busy with the inlaws visiting to put them on :( . With them on a 2 week tour of our Western states, I managed to work on my coilover and camber plate set-up yesterday :p . If I can get some help next weekend to pump the brake pedal, I'll install them. Here's a shot of the parts.

This kit is indeed said to fit 15's, but I think with spacers (5mm). I'm running with 16's (Volk CE28Ns), so I'm hoping/expecting clerance, minus the need for spacers. This kit should save me like 5.5 pounds/corner. About 1.5 of this is in the rotor, the rest in the caliper...

Dave & Stacy, if you don't mind, please let me/us know of the status of the custom rear kit. I would be very intrested!

Attachments

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
walexis, I'll share with the thread once I get them installed - hopefully next weekend. I'm actually chatting with Todd at TCE now about some preliminary install stuff. Nice guy! TCE also builds up larger kits on par with the ST, Brembo and others utilizing larger calipers, rotors and pads as well as selling the factory kits. For me, I've been waiting for this kit though. Stopping power should be greatly improved, and the weight savings quite notable! Finally something for my 16's :D .

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
TonyB said:
I ordered my WW 15" race kit (11.75") back in Aug from Todd at TCE. I got them sometime in September, but have been too busy with the inlaws visiting to put them on :( . With them on a 2 week tour of our Western states, I managed to work on my coilover and camber plate set-up yesterday :p . If I can get some help next weekend to pump the brake pedal, I'll install them. Here's a shot of the parts.

This kit is indeed said to fit 15's, but I think with spacers (5mm). I'm running with 16's (Volk CE28Ns), so I'm hoping/expecting clerance, minus the need for spacers. This kit should save me like 7 pounds/corner. About 4.5 of this is in the rotor, the rest in the caliper...

Dave & Stacy, if you don't mind, please let me/us know of the status of the custom rear kit. I would be very intrested!
Was that kit all 4 corners Tony? Black calipers? Thats what Wilwood used to ship by default.
If they clear your Volks I'm thinking they'll clear my Monzas and SSRs as well.

A favor. Could you ask Todd if they'll be OK with StopTech braided lines. Wilwood recommends theirs but I can't see why I'd need to change out my current good stuff.
TIA

Nice to hear from you.

Sell that dune buggy yet?? ;) :D

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
obe, it has been a while! My wife's parents, aunt, and twin sister have been visiting (staying with us) to be part of our US wedding reception - last weekend! Done :D

They are now on a 2 week bus tour (SF, Yosemite, Vegas, Grand Canyon, LA, then back up). I miss my wife of course, but I do have some time to tinker again :cool: .

The kit is for the fronts, and the calipers are black, which is what I wanted. I'm not a big bling guy... The price is fantastic! I'll let you know if I need spacers. I hope not, but if so, they should be very minimal...

Man, I've been spending the past 20 minutes downloading this mpg of the twincharger's dyno :( . Satelitte broadband should not be called broadband :rolleyes:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?p=407392#post407392

The bits and pieces that I hear, sound awesome.

I will copy/paste your question and PM Todd over on NAM. I'll let you know what he says by posting here... Oh, the dune buggy just got tarped for the winter. A guy wants to see it, but i've been too busy the last month or so... I can probably get like 4k for it, so I really should get my ass moving. Oh, the download is done!

EDIT: If you want to PM Todd, he is "toddtce" over on NAM... I PM'd him though for you.

36 Posts
walexis said:
Has anyone installed these ??
How are they compared with the other big names like Brembo, APracing, Stoptech..etc ???

According to their website it would fit 16' rims.
Can anyone confirm this? :confused:

Thanks in advance ;)
I do know the Tarox Kit will fit 16 & 17" wheels and you can get it in 6 or 10 pistons.

Part Number: 153494

Jason

Tar-ox Big Brake Kit

The Tar-ox, ProMini racing brake kit is available in a 6 piston configuration. The front rotors are 305mm in diameter.

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
I haven't forgotten about you guys...

No, I haven't installed them, yet. The wife's family just left last week... With my garage only existing on paper at this time, I got a friend to lend me his garage for a day or so, and I'm going to give tomorrow a shot. The directions don't list all of the tools needed, and since I won't be home, I need to haul everything over to my buddy's house that I might need. I can just see already wishing that I had a certain tool...

I did hear that I would need a 10mm flare wrench. I went out at bought one as mine were only standard, not metric. And to be honest, I'm not totally sure why an open or boxed 10mm wrench won't work in place of the flare. I guess I will know more once I get started. If anyone can enlighten me there, it would be much appreciated...

Also, when it comes time to replacing the lines with the provided ss ones, is there a best practice for doing so such that fluid doesn't go all over the place? I'm sure there must be some cool way of doing this without making a mess and getting that corrosive fluid all over the place...

If all goes well, I'll post some photos in the next couple of days. If you can offer any help, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
The Wilwood brakes are installed, and it really wasn't that bad at all. I did them at my home, and not in my buddy's garage, and I'm glad that I did so. I kept going back-and-forth to my tool shed to get different stuff to use, so it would have been a nightmare with limited tools and my friend's house...

The install can be as quick as 1.5 to 2 hours. However, it took me more than double that because when I went to remove the first rotor, it wasn't as easy as the direction made it sound. They don't exactly slide-off. I spent just over an hour tugging at it, even with a home-made puller (I think I have a photo of that contraption). I then came inside, washed the hands, and cracked-open the Bentley manual, and it helped! It said to tap-off the rotor with a rubber mallet. It worked like a charm ;) The 2nd one went much faster!

As a note, one will need a Torx 50 socket for the rotor retainer bolt. I used blue (removable) Loctite on it. I had one, but this is not mentioned in the instructions. Also of note is that the sheetmetal backing behind the stock rotor needs to be removed (4 Torx 25 screws). I suppose this is true for all brake kits. I mention it because the directions make no reference to this. After chatting with Peter of M7, he recommends putting something there to keep the heat off of the ABS line. I think he said that he melted his ABS line. Should be easy to do... For those also doing this, I only needed the recommended 1 shim for the caliper bracket. None or two does not center the rotor within the caliper. And only one washer is needed to ensure that the outer edge of the brake pad is inline with the outer edge of the rotor. More wahsers and spacers are included, but not needed for this kit (the larger street kit, yes, so I hear). Randy of Webb Motorsports installed this same kit a week or so ago, and he too had the same experience as I share above, so that was reassuring to me...

And as Randy also shared with me, where the hard line meets the new ss lines, that hole needs to be enlarged, but just a tad. As you can see in one of the photos, I used a Dremel, and it was not even a 30 second job. Everything went together very well! I used red Loctite, and torqued things to a little more that spec. Oh, I also used red Loctite on the bolts that hold the hats to the rotors. The directions say to wire them (they have holes in the bolt heads for threading), but after chatting with Todd of TCE and Peter, they said red Loctite does the trick. I did mark the bolt heads with a Sharpie so that I can discern if they have loosened in the future, but I was assured that they are good to go... Man, the pads are so easy to install/remove :D

No, no impressions to report, yet! I still need to bleed the system, and I need some help with that. I have a bleeder, but I was advised that some ABS systems don't take well to vacuum bleeders. So, I need to teach my wife what to do, or wait until one my friends can come-over. Oh, I had minimal fluid loss. In one of the photos you can see that a white cap on the end of the hard line. That white cap is a screw or bolt thread protector. It worked very well, and kept the mess to just a few drops of fluid. That stuff is corrosive! My finger tips still feel strange :p

I'll be attaching photos a bit later as my wife is on the home pc now. Once I have it, I can download from my camera, then upload here...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts