MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Mini Mid-Life Crisis!
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First problem!
Passenger window will not perform its normal roll up/down when opening and closing the door. Also if I drop the window, it refuses to stay up and always drops by about 4 inches after getting to the top, even if the door is open and I hold the window toggle switch up for several seconds.

I have to play with the switch for a while to get the window as far up to the top as I can, and then it doesn't seal properly.

So off to the dealers I think unless anyone has any bright ideas.

Rob

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
I have the same issue, dealer is looking into it, and they are thinking a faulty trap sensor. But they claim to have never had this issue before!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same problem, it occurs about every 10th time opening the door. I read on NAM that if you lower the window all the way down and hold the switch for about 30 seconds and then up and hold the switch 30 seconds and repeat 2 or 3 times it resets the window. I've done that and it works every time.

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
I was just about to start a new topic about this very problem regarding our Cooper S courtesy car. :hmph:

My wife (foolishly) decided to lower the drivers window before pulling off the drive and the window then decided to play silly b*gg*rs. It closes on the one-touch and then bounces open about 5 inches.

I tried removing the key, starting the engine etc. Mini assist said to try turning the key 4 turns left and right in the door lock to do a reset but its still the same.

My solution (eventually) was to open the door; which stops the on-touch function; and inch the window up to the shut position. The window then works properly and inches up and down when you open/close the door.

What ever happen to a good old window winder handle?:puzzled::wink:

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
If its anything like the problem I have/had with the window on my car, which it sounds like it could be, then after numerous attempts at re-programming and testing etc a new window regulator was fitted under advice from MINI technical. Doubt it will fault if you take it in, mine didnt, then it did and kept on faulting...thats when they decided on the regulator.

May of course not be the same problem, but thats my idea anyway :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
All of the above and more

My pepper white cooper D had all of these problems plus more - turbo stopped working it did reset when I stopped and restarted car. Dealers reason for this -software glitch.
Now to the windows, the switch that operates the window - sometimes they work sometimes they dont., the window opens/ closes if I drive over a bump ,the O/S Window randomly opens after the car is locked a bit of a concern if you need to park it and leave it , For example - if you want to go to bed - Dealers take on this "only a minor problem"
I have been back to the dealers 4 times to resolve this issue - Spoke to Trading Standards And was advised to reject the car under the sale of goods act before handing car over for the 4th Fix.
I rejected Car after the 3rd attempt to fix it failed - not only did they fail to fix it but transferred the problem to the N/S door also.
Workshop foreman admitted that he didn't have a clue what the problem was - thought he cured it when they changed the electronic module. would have to refer to BMW.
Told by the dealers that BMW now acknowledges that there are issues with the windows and would have to wait for new software to be written - approx 5 weeks the car was at the dealers waiting for this work around fix. Car has been at the dealers for 6 weeks in less than 6 months.
Mini Customer services did supply a JCW courtesy car - and guess what - drivers window found open after parking overnight - spent 40 mins trying to close it - finally managed to shut it by driving over a cattle grid.
I have now been told by the Dealership that their Demonstrator Car has the same problems
My Car has had the new upgrade - cant comment if it works as it is still there at the dealers - wont take it back -rejected
Insurance Company wont cover any loss or damage that they can attribute to the window fault.
Did give the dealers a few suggestions what to do with the car -
Spray it "LEMON" yellow
Get a priest to exorcise the car
None of these did they feel was very constuctive
I am currently in Negotiations for a replacement Car with the Dealership

·
Mini Mid-Life Crisis!
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally took my car to the dealers 2 weeks ago for the window roll up/down issue.
They told me that they had a car in before XMas with the same fault which they kept for 2 days before contacting BMW, who informed them its a known problem with the software.

I'm now waiting for them to issue this software update to the dealers.
Phoned them this morning and they're still waiting for the update from BMW.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
My new JCW developed the window problem at 5 days old! (the replacement for the car I mentioned above)
Its been in the garage since last wednesday for that and other stuff, and supposedly a software update will cure it...hmm, im sceptical myself, but when I get it back the window will be used everyday so it will be a true test!!
:hmph:

·
Home Again
47 Posts
What ever happen to a good old window winder handle?:puzzled::wink:[/QUOTE]

LOL, Good one, Coupe Se, whatever did happen to those windows that roll up by hand? They gave you a little workout at the ATM.;)**

When I first noticed that the windows on my MCS adjusted when the door opened and closed I said to myself "now, there's a needless complication." :)

·
A mini is a way of life.
2,643 Posts
I finally took my car to the dealers 2 weeks ago for the window roll up/down issue.
They told me that they had a car in before XMas with the same fault which they kept for 2 days before contacting BMW, who informed them its a known problem with the software.

I'm now waiting for them to issue this software update to the dealers.
Phoned them this morning and they're still waiting for the update from BMW.
Rob

what dealership are you using?

Aston

·
Mini Mid-Life Crisis!
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealership is Sytner Newport. They know all about the problem - I phone them every week now as they say its easier for me to chace them! They have no idea when the update is being released to the dealers. There must be quite a few around the country waiting for this.

Rob

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Dealership is Sytner Newport. They know all about the problem - I phone them every week now as they say its easier for me to chace them! They have no idea when the update is being released to the dealers. There must be quite a few around the country waiting for this.

Rob
Im confused then :puzzled: I got my car back on Friday having been re-programmed! *touch wood* the window hasnt acted up.......wonder whats different about the software your dealership are waiting for? Or maybe they have a delayed reaction :puzzled:

·
Closing door on MINI2
556 Posts
Wifes Clubbie S has developed same thing so booked in Thursday. Pain in backside as it does it every time!

·
Mini Mid-Life Crisis!
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think, or hope, we are waiting for different updates!
Maybe BMW are owned by Microsoft and they release small fixes every week and then have one big service pack once a year ;) If that's the case I wonder what Service Pack number we would be on!

I'll phone them tomorrow to see if this update is available. They said they only received their updates over the weekend. Sounds strange I know.

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Well if BMW are owned by Microsoft then it means no matter how many fixes or service packs it'll never work, the solution is to find the company owned by Apple and get Mac based window software. :p

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine likes to go up then come half way down again and then again and again, I just accept it atm and call it character lol

·
A mini is a way of life.
2,643 Posts

Rob
A good friend of mine car is at that dealership and i think its had the software update. Well so they say;):D

·
Registered
10 Posts

Rob
Rob - My Mini is at Sytner Newport, probably its mine that they are referring to when they say that they know all about the issues - its been there since Dec 9th - I'm fed up of chasing them -
As you see in the process of rejecting car - really peed off that you have to wait weeks for a fix
Had lots of advice off trading standards ( Caerphilly) who are monitoring the rejection.
Was told by T.S. that all repairs carried out must be done Quickly and at no inconvenience to you ( assuming that car is less than 6 months old).
Is Bill Gates supplying the software - based on windows Vista ?????

1 - 20 of 79 Posts