MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question. I've never had 'frameless' windows before. On my Cooper I noticed that when I open the doors the window drops slightly and when I close the doors, the windows rise up slightly. What's the reason for this?

· Registered
209 Posts
The slight window drop is to allow air inside the car an escape route out when you close the door making it easier and reducing those 'half closed' instances as you're not trying to push or pull against air pressure.

Thoughtful eh. :)

· Registered
2,559 Posts
Now everyone has explained why I can confirm it certainly works. I disconnected my
battery when working on the car and forgot about the little drop and couldn't shut the
door :eek: . I assume a harder shove would have shut it but I had no desire to stress the
glass so left it.

· Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,148 Posts
SteveM3 said:
Now everyone has explained why I can confirm it certainly works. I disconnected my
battery when working on the car and forgot about the little drop and couldn't shut the
door :eek: . \.
This topic brings up this question -

If your battery were to go dead and both doors and hatch were shut how would you get in to charge/replace the battery? :confused:

· Registered
2,559 Posts
You can unlock the doors by key which feels like a good old fashioned mechanical link
but no I not going to try simulating this :p. After that the hatch can then be opened by an
emergency cable under the rear seat.

· MINI Geek
515 Posts
SteveM3 said:
You can unlock the doors by key which feels like a good old fashioned mechanical link
but no I not going to try simulating this :p. After that the hatch can then be opened by an
emergency cable under the rear seat.
Yes, but if all doors are closed and locked plus the battery is dead, then using the mechanical key still won't lower the window :)

Anyone else?

· MINI2 lurker
641 Posts
steebo777 said:
Yes, but if all doors are closed and locked plus the battery is dead, then using the mechanical key still won't lower the window :)

Anyone else?

Ive had a battery die on me, and the doors opened just fine and shut ok too, although I wasnt looking as to whether the windows dropped or not.

Maybe on opening the door the windows dropped and as there was no battery, they didnt pop back up on closing. Everything looked ok though and I cant say that I thought about it when it was happening.

· Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,148 Posts
Mini_Blake said:
Ive had a battery die on me, and the doors opened just fine and shut ok too, although I wasnt looking as to whether the windows dropped or not.

Maybe on opening the door the windows dropped and as there was no battery, they didnt pop back up on closing. Everything looked ok though and I cant say that I thought about it when it was happening.
How dead was your battery? I assume not enough to start but did it have any charge left in it, which might be enough to have lowered the window?

Maybe the experiment would be to disconnect the battery while someone is in the car. Then if the windows won't drop the emergency hatch handle under the rear seat could be used to open the hatch.
Any experimenters out there? (does disconnecting the battery loose any important settings?)

· M5 Extraordinare!
7,034 Posts
I'm sure u can still open the door... it might not be healthy for the window... as it will cause a lot of stress to whatever is holding the window to the door. You know you'll get that night Toooong sound like if you hold a ruler vertical and then pull on the top and kinda make a snap.

· Track addict
5,935 Posts
EBMCS03 said:
I'm sure u can still open the door... it might not be healthy for the window... as it will cause a lot of stress to whatever is holding the window to the door. You know you'll get that night Toooong sound like if you hold a ruler vertical and then pull on the top and kinda make a snap.

You can still open the door. Its to create a 'better seal' against the door seal, not to lock it down like Fort Knox.... Its just then a little harder to open the door, because you have to force it past the rubber seal.

Central locking on some other cars automatically resets to the open position when your battery runs flat - anyone know if this is true on the Mini? I'm assuming it isn't. I know its possible to lock the doors with the battery disconnected - which caused massive panic for me once, should have read the manual.....

Obviously this is Cooper S specific problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.