MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here\'s a new one. Our passenger door window stayed in the \"fully up\" position when we closed the door. As a result, the door clonked badly and the window ended up on the outside of the roof gutter. Fortunately the window flexed and therefore stayed in one piece. To reset it we opened and then closed the window, after which it worked correctly.

If your door does not appear to close correctly, bear this in mind.

Les

·
Registered
577 Posts
This is another \"feature\" of the MINI, also common on some BMWs. The window is frameless, so when the door handle is pulled, the window rolls down a fraction of an inch to clear the rubber moulding at the top. This is part of the \"anti theft\" design, supposed to prevent a crook from slipping a slim jim in above the window when the door is closed. It is supposed to roll the window up again for a tight seal when the door is closed.
Somehow the car \"knows\" when the door is closed again, perhaps with a sensor on the door frame. Out of curiousity, I wonder what would happen if you lifted the door handle when the door is open, prior to closing it. If the window was at the top, perhaps it would cause it to drop again. I would much prefer \"crank\" windows and manually adjusted outside mirrors. All this \"power everything\" stuff just means more to go wrong.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Aha, maybe that explains why my car service manual was delivered in a rather soggy state - My passenger window motor and voltage regulator had to be changed as the window didn\'t work at all - roof gutters - will have to remember that one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
On 11-11-2001 17:02 mr.bill wrote:
... Out of curiousity, I wonder what would happen if you lifted the door handle when the door is open, prior to closing it. If the window was at the top, perhaps it would cause it to drop again..
When you pull the door handle, the window does not come down. The window drops slightly, as the door is opened a little. The window actually stays at the dropped position, until you close the door again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This actually happened to me last Monday, You are right the passenger door window did not do it\'s usual 1/4 inch drop, therefore the glass clattered the rain sill.

Ironic really as I was at the dealer getting some other bits sorted. The salesman and service department were rather embarrased......I did ask if the M3 convertible and coupe also have this feature.

The ignition was switched off, soon as I put the key in the ignition stage the fault cleared. The dealer will look at it this week.

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a follow up to \"window stuff\". Apparently the electronics for the window is on the internal door handle. BMW have changed the whole mechanism. If the problem re-occurs I shall let you know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
blade929 said:
This actually happened to me last Monday, You are right the passenger door window did not do it\'s usual 1/4 inch drop, therefore the glass clattered the rain sill.

Ironic really as I was at the dealer getting some other bits sorted. The salesman and service department were rather embarrased......I did ask if the M3 convertible and coupe also have this feature.

The ignition was switched off, soon as I put the key in the ignition stage the fault cleared. The dealer will look at it this week.
Blade, Can you give me an update on the window problem. The same thing happened to me today, droped the window and the problem seems to have righted itself, but wondered if you'de had any further problems?:(

·
Registered
183 Posts
The window 'drop' problem has not happened again. But we are getting a drivers door that will not open. The dealer has now given us the option of rejecting the vehicle because of its many faults. Not sure what to do yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts