MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm currently deciding on whether or not to have my R56 MCS's windows tinted - orginally i never opted for the factory fit glass because IMO it didnt suit the astro black becuase it portrays the image of a mini 'van' although it does suit lighter exterior colours such as (pepper white, red, silver etc) would therefore like to go for a look that is rather suttle - thus I have a few questions before making any decisions:

1) What percentage of light is let in on the regular front windows? Am I correct in assuming its 70% And if this amount is surplased then it becomes illegle? What are the punsihments if caught? I only ask because every other car you see on the road has a dark tint on thier front car windows?!
2) What percentage of light is let in on rear windows and tailgate on the MINI factory tint?
3) If I went for 50% on the rear windows and tailgate - would i even notice a tint? and if I wore sunglasses would I find the view restrictive when looking out of the tinted windows?
4) Finally, is it true that the darker you go with the tint the darker it appears from the inside windows or is it the same for all the different shades?

Thanks Guys and anyone who can offer their assistence will be greatly appreicated!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I have the back windows tinted I always go for the 2nd level of tint :) 'Smoke'
Supa - thanks for your response! You dont happen to know what percentage of light 'smoke' lets in? or what shade the mini factory tint is? AND haha do you have any pictures?!!

Thanks

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Supa - thanks for your response! You dont happen to know what percentage of light 'smoke' lets in? or what shade the mini factory tint is? AND haha do you have any pictures?!!

Thanks
Im not sure what % it is, but if you look in my gallery, my first MINI was a black one and there are some pics ;) :)

·
Andrew ATC
725 Posts
The guy who tinted my rear windows, who knows his stuff, said that the standard windows in the front of the MINI are already the max tint to be legal. Put anything more on them and they become illegal.
I had factory fitted tints, but have since put more on. The rear side windows are tinted more than the rear windscreen. There is some great logic to this, and it works a treat.
It always appears a lot darker looking in than looking out. I regularly wear sunglasses too, and have no problems. However, if it begins to get dark or rains, then sunglasses plus all the tint would limit your vision - so take the glasses off!
Additional tint is also superb at removing glare, especially from Xenon or other very bright headlights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts