MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Second post so go easy on me!!

Just a quick questions which will no doubt enforce my newbie status. I am in the process of buying a Mini (Ideally an auto Cooper - second hand) and am interested in having the rear and back windows tinted.

What I was wondering was that if you have it done as a modification (as opposed to being on the car when it leaves the factory) will it look any different? Is there anything I should look out for when I have it done and how much should I expect to pay?

All advice incredibly greatfully received!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I got mine done for £25 a window, looks maybe a little bit darker than the factory tints but then it depends what % you get. It wont really look any different other than you might be able to tell its a stuck on film if you look really close at the edges inside the car

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had mine done after market. Paid £100 for rears and back. Top job!
Make sure,if you watch it being done, that the person who does it uses soft cloth or tissue to scrape the water off and not bare metal. The guy who did mine does windows at the car dealership i used to work at and told me about that. It can spread the water/cleaner rather than scrape it away and then you get left with marks underneath. If in doubt beforehand,ask them to talk through what they do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I havent really wanted to have another car tinted before so this is all a learning curve. If I budget £100 then that shouldnt be too far off. I will be sure to check how they go about doing it too. Now all I have to do is find the car....!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks cool, I am thinking about having it very dark at the back but perhaps not touch the front, or just lightly smoke the front ones!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have a shop around for it and have a haggle too. The fitters are often very flexible with their pricing, especially if you turn up with a friend to get both of your cars done you can get yourself quite a hefty discount.

For anyone in the North East I recommend Autotints in Newcastle. Mine cost £100 altogether and they say if you have any problems with them (i.e. bubbles forming etc.) then they will refit it free of charge. Having said that I've had no problems at all and can't tell the difference between that and the factory spec. Looks good too :D

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
That looks cool, I am thinking about having it very dark at the back but perhaps not touch the front, or just lightly smoke the front ones!
Anything additional on the fronts is illegal in the UK;)

When I had mine done on one of mine I used Pentagon, they're national and one of the best:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for all your help, You guys really are an invaluable resource for any potential Mini purchasers! I dont think I will risk having anything done to the front in that case, I have to swallow hard everytime I drive past the police with my number plate as it is, at least thats easily changed! Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts