MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a real hard time getting my windows perfectly clean. I've used Stoners Inivisglass (sp?) and a good microfiber towel...but if the light shines just right, I can STILL see the outlines of multiple waters spots on the windows.

This is after multiples applications of the Stoners and wiping, etc.

Any suggestions? I tried searching on here without success.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I use RAIN-X, have no spots. Some folks simply apply their favorite car wax to the glass, which seems to work, also.

I advocate Rain-X and apply it to all exterior glass, including the wing mirrors. No spots whatsoever.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess what I'm looking for is how to remove the spots I already have, not prevent future spots, as I'm sure RainX does.

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
I can highly recommend Autoglym Glass Polish :D
Use a small amount on an applicator on the offending water spot, work it until it's dry/powdery and then buff off with a clean microfiber.
If you are still seeing them, you can use the polish gently with very fine steel wool (0000 grade) and then use just the polish as above, to finish off. I haven't tried the steel wool method, but I've heard it does work, just use straight lines when polishing.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Do NOT use car wax especially on your front windshield. Bad idea.

The Autoglym stuff is probably fine as well but here's a few cheapies.
White vinegar ( you probably have hard water and these spots are mineral deposits) or Bonami.
The glass on the MINI is pretty soft so be very careful and do some out of line of sight tests first.

I am a bit puzzled though. I have pretty hard water as well and Stoners gets the spots off my glass. Do you have the same problem on your painted surfaces?

·
Motorer extraordinaire
131 Posts
I concur on the use of Bon Ami. I use it and it is really great stuff. I generally go over all
the glass using it before I wash the rest of the car.

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Water Spots

obehave said:
I am a bit puzzled though. I have pretty hard water as well and Stoners gets the spots off my glass. Do you have the same problem on your painted surfaces?
Nope, I used Mr. Clean AutoDry and no problems on the painted surfaces.

When I use the Stoners product, the windows do look great. But if the light is shining just right on the windows, I can see the "ghosts" of water spots past.

I appreciate the suggestions.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
tnoy66 said:
The Autoglym Glass polish is a pure polish. It is NOT a wax.
If you want more opinions of it, have a look on www.autopia.org search for windows, water spots or the product itself.
3 reviews are here http://autopia.org/review/censura.php?cmd=details&itemid=117
Whoa Dude!
I wasn't talking about you. vagt6 said some people use wax. You never suggested it so why would you think I meant you?
I just couldn't speak to the Autoglym because I have no personal experience with it.
That would be why I said "The Autoglym stuff is probably fine as well..."
Now why would I say that if I thought it was wax??

Read first......then pull the trigger. Less people die that way :rolleyes:

I learned most of what I know from my brother( a detailer back in the '80s - early '90s) and autopia ( before it became a register for full access site :( ). Properauotcare.com is also an excellent source. And yes, they like Autoglym as well.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
MadisonMini said:
Nope, I used Mr. Clean AutoDry and no problems on the painted surfaces.

When I use the Stoners product, the windows do look great. But if the light is shining just right on the windows, I can see the "ghosts" of water spots past.

I appreciate the suggestions.
I quit using my Mr Clean. It leaves nasty windows and so I suspect the paint isn't all that great either. It left a very fine film that I wasn't happy with.

·
Registered
43 Posts
glass polishes

Hi all!!

Another recommendation for glass polishes!

I use Glas Polish from 1Z. It leaves the outside surface very smooth and clear.

There is a thread on NAM in the detailing section with a review of the 1Z Glas polish. Comments in the thread indicate glass polishes in general seem to help.

It's drastically reduced the wiper chatter for me as well.

hey,
duard​
"Sitting on a park bench..."

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
obehave said:
Whoa Dude!
I wasn't talking about you. vagt6 said some people use wax. You never suggested it so why would you think I meant you?
I just couldn't speak to the Autoglym because I have no personal experience with it.
That would be why I said "The Autoglym stuff is probably fine as well..."
Now why would I say that if I thought it was wax??

Read first......then pull the trigger. Less people die that way :rolleyes:

I learned most of what I know from my brother( a detailer back in the '80s - early '90s) and autopia ( before it became a register for full access site :( ). Properauotcare.com is also an excellent source. And yes, they like Autoglym as well.
Sorry if it looked like I was having a go at you, not intended.
I missed vagt6's comment on wax.
I wax just trying to clarify that it was a pure polish and back up my praise for it with the autopia links.
It's suprising how many people don't know the difference between wax and polish.

Appologies again.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
tnoy66 said:
Sorry if it looked like I was having a go at you, not intended.
I missed vagt6's comment on wax.
I wax just trying to clarify that it was a pure polish and back up my praise for it with the autopia links.
It's suprising how many people don't know the difference between wax and polish.

Appologies again.
No sweat.
I might be guilty for reading somehting into your post too. It happens on forums.
No body language an voice inflection. Causes misreads all too often.
I need to try the polish even though I love Stoners. Wonderful stuff.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which Bon Ami

petecrosby said:
I concur on the use of Bon Ami. I use it and it is really great stuff. I generally go over all
the glass using it before I wash the rest of the car.
I went to their website and they make different products. Is it the window cleaner version of Bon Ami or just the standard cleaning powder?

·
Motorer extraordinaire
131 Posts
MadisonMini said:
I went to their website and they make different products. Is it the window cleaner version of Bon Ami or just the standard cleaning powder?
I use the standard cleaning powder. The abrasive in it is soft and does not appear to scratch glass. They market it for glass cleaning, among other cleaning tasks. I just wet the glass, sprinkle it on, and use a clean sponge to do the work. I then rinse it off with lots of water and wash the rest of the car (with regular car wash liquid, not Bon Ami).

·
Registered
77 Posts
the clay bar..

THe clay bar actually works well. I had an Audi and one day in for service i read a pamphlet in the waiting room about using it to fix glare. It had a reply card for free detailing spray and clay bar. Wonder if they still do this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know I am now running this off of topic, but, I do have probs with ghosting water marks on paintwork as well as glass. How can I firstly stop this happening and secondly get rid of the marks that are there just now

Thanks in adv.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.