MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this weekend that the passenger window does not drop at all when you open the door. The drivers window still does. Has anyone else experienced this problem??

·
Registered
577 Posts
I brought this up months ago, before the cars were even released, when I read about it on the MINIUSA website. You can be sure you aren't alone in this, and it will only get worse as time goes on. Remember, the motor has to work every time, and NOTHING is 100% reliable. The only way to correct it is to redesign the upper moulding so the window fits flush when it closes, as in many other cars, rather than rolling up to seal it when the door closes. In the meantime, it might help to leave the windows down just a bit so they will clear the moulding. That should prevent the automatic up-down action. It must be very hard to open and close the door if the window doesn't drop like it is supposed to.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine after the car went in for some work and they updated the software. It was actually both the windows that wouldn't drop, but it may be worth you giving it a try.
All I did was hold the central locking button down, to drop both the windows, and then put them back up again individually. Turned the car off, opened the door and the windows dropped.

As only one of yours isn't dropping it may not be the same problem, but may just be worth a shot.
:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hanny, this is indeed the behaviour if the battery
has been disconnected. The windows don't drop automatically
until after the window switches have been used at least once.

And Mr Bill, contrary to your previous post on this subject,

a;) no damage will occur if the door is opened or closed
when the lowering function is not active.

b) you will not break the glass

c) you still get a good (but not optimal) seal

d) the door will only requires a slightly greater amount of force to close

e)There is no hard mechanical/obstruction issue, just
that it does not sit on the rubber seal quite correctly.

f) the action is supposed to be there to avoid the air cushion effect which makes closing the door harder.

Now Mr Bill, its been said before by equally pi**ed off MINI
owners, but can you please

1) Stop scaremongering on issues that you are merely
speculating about, rather than have any first hand knowledge

2) Stop being so bloody negative, and lighten up
Reading your posts makes me feel like how an Enron
employee must feel right now.

3) If you are so concered by the amount of technology
BMW put into the MINI, go and buy a Chevy Cavalier

4) IF you acually ever buy a MINI (which I severly doubt)
THEN you can express your opinion based on FACT, rather
than fantasy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is just a thought, it may sound stupid, but when my passenger window failed to drop when opening the door I found that the window hadn't been put fully up with the electric window switch. I now make sure I hear a click sound and I know it is fully up.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
space_cadet said:
Hanny, this is indeed the behaviour if the battery
has been disconnected. The windows don't drop automatically
until after the window switches have been used at least once.

And Mr Bill, contrary to your previous post on this subject,

a;) no damage will occur if the door is opened or closed
when the lowering function is not active.

b) you will not break the glass

c) you still get a good (but not optimal) seal

d) the door will only requires a slightly greater amount of force to close

e)There is no hard mechanical/obstruction issue, just
that it does not sit on the rubber seal quite correctly.

f) the action is supposed to be there to avoid the air cushion effect which makes closing the door harder.

Now Mr Bill, its been said before by equally pi**ed off MINI
owners, but can you please

1) Stop scaremongering on issues that you are merely
speculating about, rather than have any first hand knowledge

2) Stop being so bloody negative, and lighten up
Reading your posts makes me feel like how an Enron
employee must feel right now.

3) If you are so concered by the amount of technology
BMW put into the MINI, go and buy a Chevy Cavalier

4) IF you acually ever buy a MINI (which I severly doubt)
THEN you can express your opinion based on FACT, rather
than fantasy.
Ok. Firstly, thanks for clearing up the technical points regarding the Windows.

Secondly, and I don't know about anyone else, but having been here a few months now, I'm growing rather fond of mr.bills adverse comments. I understand your point of view, but maybe we can lighten up a little.

this site is currently provided for everyone who has an interest in the MINI, and is currently kept afloat by Paul Mullett's personal funds and a few "sponsors" who have contributed financialy towards the running of MINI2.com. It is sponsorship free so far.

If members want to keep this site and allow space_cadet and mr.bill to be able to express their views about the MINI or about their personal grievences I suggest you cut down on your fags, or buy a subscription to EVO magazine and put the savings you've made into MINI2.com. If you don't help, MINI2.com may not be here, or possibly have to resort to outside commercial sponsorship. It's up to you.

cheers

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm not being negative, I'm being factual. I have wanted a MINI since I saw it in a magazine nearly four years ago and was prepared to buy one as soon as they are available here, but I have since changed my mind. I have the money sitting in a bank account, but it can stay there until I am convinced the car is reliable. Niggles and problems aside, there is also the lack of information from my "dealer" (I know more about the car than they do) and the refusal of BMW to address any of my concerns. I get the impression that they know there are problems but refuse to admit it. They probably expect to sell every car they import here because there are a lot of people who will buy one no matter what, just for ego self-gratification.

When you buy a new car, you should enjoy the experience and not have to be on a first-name basis with the service techs. A few things are bound to go wrong with any new car, but some of the problems the MINI has are dangerous and others are annoying and seemingly unfixable. MINI is going to have an uphill fight in the States because it is an "English car" and BMWs reputation for build quality may not be enough to overcome that. There is too much competition from the Asian carmakers who are known for high quality.

Bottom line is, if you expect a car with poor quality, that is what you will get. The MINI was in development for four years and should be "perfect." It's not, and there are no excuses for it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Perspective on faults

The problem with hearing criticism and analysis from non-owners is that they often have no perspective on the faults and problems being discussed.

The "niggles" have to be set against the undoubted benefits of MINI ownership which the vast majority of (owner) MINI2 members are enjoying.

And in case anyone thinks they've stumbled across a site for Moskvitch owners, the MINI is not a car of "poor quality" - at least none of those I've seen and driven have been. In fact, quite the opposite.

·
5 years with MINI ONE
244 Posts
Fix

If either of the windows don't drop and go back up when the door is opened or closed, then to fix this drop the window right down and then back up(do this with the door open), when the window is at the top is should drop then top up then drop, close the door and it should be fixed!!!. :D ;)

·
5 years with MINI ONE
244 Posts
Thanks for Pglenning! I just had that problem and did as you said and now it is fixed, yay! :)
No problem, It may stop doing this again in the future, so just repeat as mentioned;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts