MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
astro black clubman
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one heard of the windows opening by themselves when the mini is parked up and locked?

The wife went out and came back to find both front windows on the clubman fully open!!! Thankfully this happened after all the rain.

Anyone had simalar happen to them?

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
This could be due to the comfort opening feature, i.e. the unlock button is being accidentally held down possibly in her pocket which results in the windows being opened fully.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Yeah thats what it will be. If you press and hold the unlock button on the key the windows and sunroof (if you have one) will open. Let go of the button and the windows will stop going down.

Give it a try.

To close the windows again without getting in the car and turning on etc, put the key in the door and turn anti clockwise and hold to lock and close the windows.

Its cool and fun! But not helpful if its been raining!

·
astro black clubman
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers guys. just tried the auto open feature. V.cool unless raining. lol will have to be careful with that

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've just come on to discuss this exact same problem - we have a '54 plate Cooper S and the girlfriend went down to use the car on Saturday the 11th to find both front windows down, but the car still locked. Like in the post above this happened after the rain.

Now I would think it's because the fob has been held down, but why would the doors still be locked? Is this a known problem on the cars?

·
still learning
1,270 Posts
I really cannot believe that this problem is being caused by people pressing the key fob button in error ? ................. surely it would be obvious that this was what happened ?

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Maybe the lock button on the fob was also accidentally pressed, resulting in a locked car but open windows. Can you imagine the look on the people's face in the shop it was parking out front of, opening and closing randomly on its own!

·
Gone Outside To Play
72 Posts
Happened to my MCS a week ago too! I had to visit a client from work and my car was parked across the road from his office. It had started to drizzle about a half hour before. You know, I always lock the mini and usually check by looking back as I walk away. When I left work, the car was locked but both the windows are down and sunroof was open on tilt. Needless to say, the front seats were quite wet... ahhhhh! Not happy! I remembered pointing and showing my work client the mini from his office window during the day and I don't remember seeing the roof opened then. I have put it down to accidentally pressing the unlock button, but nah...couldn't be. For the windows to fully open plus the sunroof, you will have to keep pressing that unlock button for a long while. I am still not convinced.

Edit: BTW, key not in my pocket, left in the jacket which was on a coat hanger.

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Has it done it again? If so, why not try leaving the key in your office desk drawer or something instead of your pocket. Basically a place where there is no chance of the unlock button being held down at all. Just a suggestion, but could it be interference from something? Possibly picking up on the frequency? Not sure if that's possible!

·
Registered
16 Posts
This happened to me. Twice in the same night. First time it happened I googled it to find that it may be from holding the unlock button down in perhaps my pocket, but the doors were still locked.

Second time I'd left the keys on the side and it still did it.

I called up BMW and told them. They took the car in and re-coded it. Till this day it has never happened again. If you are having this problem and can't get the car in then pull out the fuse for the electric windows. Only problem is that they won't seal but you won't really seee it from outside.

Also your insurance isn't covered if the car windows roll down them selves. You'd have to claim against BMW for a faulty car and that may be hard to prove.

The car was a Mini cooper R56 reg sept 07.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
This happened to me. Twice in the same night. First time it happened I googled it to find that it may be from holding the unlock button down in perhaps my pocket, but the doors were still locked.
Could this be due to the doors re-locking? If programmed, the doors will re-lock after 1 minute or so if a door is not opened.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Exactly what I was going to say Ken. If you unlock and don't open any doors the car will lock itself even if you do the window opening and don't open any doors. I'm suprised you're alarm didn't go off with your windows open for long.

I've done it once and returned to my MINI to find the windows half open but thats only because I press and held my unlock button from halfway across the carpark and didn't realise until I was with the MINI therefore I thought maybe it had been like this all day but it had only just dropped then.

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
My alarm only goes off if someone walks by when the windows are down!! How loud is it!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had this fault on my 57 plate. I took it back to the dealer and they tried several things (as it wasn't cured the first time)

I had thought that it might be me setting off the comfort opening, so when I found it on my drive with the doors unlocked, I locked it, carefully carried the key indoors, and put it down without touching the buttons. Next morning, the windows were down. Clearly it was a fault.

Firstly the dealer replaced the passenger lock mechanism as this (although not showing a fault) was recomended by BMW.

Secondly they checked everything, said they couldn't find a fault, and did nothing.

Then my fob stopped working! as it was less than 6 months old, and has a rechargable battery in it, (which is charged whenever it is put in the ignition slot) I had it replaced under warranty.

Finally, when the windows opened again, the dealer downloaded the latest driver software to the car. it seems (fingers crossed) to have cured the problem. (this was a couple of months ago) (I see that ferengo above had the same, so reassuring that it seems to have cured the fault).

I think that I am lucky as my dealer is always willing to give things a go, although I understand that not all dealers will do this.

It is apparent that BMW are aware of the fault, so if your dealer appears unaware, try this with them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We've had a window problem twice in the last month in a our dooper. On both occasions after locking the car we ve noticed that both windows have dropped approx 10cm, the car being still locked. On the first occasion we noticed it almost at once and the second time it occurred whilst parked at work whilst i dopped into the office for only a couple of mins. Agian on the 2nd occasion the car was locked but both windows had dropped 10cm. Any ideas??

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your car is still under warranty, then I'd get it back to the dealer, and quote my post above. It sounds similar to my problem.

hope it helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts