MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anyone successfully got MINI/BMW Australia to pay for their new windscreen? Mine's cracked on the inside (can feel the crack there not the outside though) and it's about half of the windscreen in height.

Not looking good after the engine problems......:eek:

·
2,756 Posts
I am pretty sure that one of my mates' had his Windscreen replaced by the dealer not long after hebrough it... I will ask him and get back to you.

Dan

·
Whatev.
2,878 Posts
It is a known fault for MINI windscreens to crack. Have a look in the faults and fixes forum. As long as you can prove that it did not originate from a stone chip or other external forces you should be cool.

You should check out your insurance too - some companies offer one windscreen per year. I had mine replaced about a month ago under insurance - my crack was definately caused by a stone chip though.

LisaR is another that comes to mind who has had a new windscreen courtesy of the dealer. Haven't seen much of her around the boards lately though.

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
The Greendevil has a cracked windscreen??

I'd say you will be pushing proverbial up hill to get them to payout on that one...

Windscreens Obrien does them for about $260 fitted at you place of work or residence.

Todd

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
It depends on the cause of the crack, as poki said it is a known fault with earlier models. Search the faluts and fixes forum, print out all the reports and take them to the dealer so that they know that you know that they should pay.

I had 2 replaced under warranty and 1 under insurance on my MC, the insurance one had what appeared to be a stone chip, the other 2 were just stress.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had the screen on my first Cooper crack a week after i got it. It was replaced under warranty as it was only a few weeks after the launch.

I havent had any such problems with either of my Cooper S s though.

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep the Greendevil has developed a crack in the windscreen, head gasket problem and shitload of stone chips on the driver's side rear quarter panel for unknown reasons. Plus the boot have decided to let itself open while I was driving at 60km/h today so it is pushing my limit - BIG TIME. After it popped the boot open by itself, I was strapped in the seat by the seat belt for almost 5 minutes as the solenoid decided not to release the tension. It's been a fine Mini day for me today I guess...

I've booked O'brien for Wednesday and at $242, I am not really complaining but that's the day after it will be in for its repairs. Hopefully BMW/MINI will cough up for the windscreen as I don't feel it's my fault - no stone chips around the crack or anywhere on the windscreen for that matter.

Red&blackS said:
The Greendevil has a cracked windscreen??

I'd say you will be pushing proverbial up hill to get them to payout on that one...

Windscreens Obrien does them for about $260 fitted at you place of work or residence.

Todd
Before I forget Todd, sorry for not turning up on Sunday as the Greendevil refused to start after all sorts of tricks were tried on it. It only started up again on Monday after I've tipped some Chemweld in there.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the BMW/MINI insurance, and recieived a cracked windscreen courtesy of a passing truck. I took my car back to my dealer and had the windscreen fixed without question, free of charge, no excess, without signing so much as a piece of paper. I was told by the dealer that if I had to pay it would cost about $650AUD. I do have the rain sensor tho, don't know if that makes any difference.

·
Whatev.
2,878 Posts
Yep, the rain sensor makes a big difference to the price because the screen has to be genuine. If you don't have the rain sensor they fit a non genuine replacement - or so I was told by windscreens O'Brien.

Hope this is the end of your trouble with your MCS dairyboy.

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks poki :) I too hope it's the end of it all. Looks like bailing out of the Mini camp is coming soon.

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
I need to replace my windscreen. I got a crack driving home yesterday and just took it down to my local O'Briens for repair. The guy mentioned that there is a risk of the repair further spreading the crack, he also mentioned that I should not leave the car out in the sun as this could cause the crack to grow. I figured I'd take the chance and left the car with them to repair the screen less than 30 minutes ago. I just got a call to say that the crack had spread before they even touched it as the car was sitting in the sun!

:mad:

Dunno if that's a porky pie or not, but anyway I have been quoted $240 for an Australian made replacement screen. I'm conscious of the fact that MINI screens have been known to crack even without the help of a stone, so am curious to know if anyone has a Windscreens O'Brien replacement and has any comments.

·
Being normal is not fun!
3,920 Posts
Hey mate - I got a quote of only three hundred and something with the rain sensor included!

You might want to phone around a bit!

·
Were there Oompa loompas?
4,146 Posts
minigolf said:
Hmm, my local dealer says it will be $552 to replace the screen with OEM parts.

May as well get two Aussie made ones and keep the other for a spare if it's no good! :p
You might want to PM Giles as he has had his replaced with OEM. I remember him saying something about dodgy Australian made ones but can’t remember specifically what he said. The OEM ones were revised some time last year (I think but there is now a different part number) to make them stronger/less prone to stress cracking. But like you say, you could get 2 Aussie made ones for the price of one.

Hope they've got them in stock :rolleyes:

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
Yep, have called Giles already. ;) He tells me that he paid a bit less than I was quoted, but still double the Windscreens O'Brien price. When getting prices I asked the service guy about Aussie made v OEM and I said "You'll obviously tell me to get the OEM glass, can you tell me why?".

He replied "No not necessarily. We've seen a few cars with after market screens and there does not appear to be any problems."

Giles dod mention that the OEM glass was a few kgs lighter than the aftermarket screen he was looking at and that given his was through his leasing arrangement he was happy to go that way. I think O'Briens are the winner for this little MINI driver though.

:)

·
Were there Oompa loompas?
4,146 Posts
minigolf said:
Yep, have called Giles already. ;) He tells me that he paid a bit less than I was quoted, but still double the Windscreens O'Brien price. When getting prices I asked the service guy about Aussie made v OEM and I said "You'll obviously tell me to get the OEM glass, can you tell me why?".

He replied "No not necessarily. We've seen a few cars with after market screens and there does not appear to be any problems."

Giles dod mention that the OEM glass was a few kgs lighter than the aftermarket screen he was looking at and that given his was through his leasing arrangement he was happy to go that way. I think O'Briens are the winner for this little MINI driver though.

:)
Oh well, sounds like O'Brien's are the way to go. Even taking into consideration the rake of the windscreens on these cars, I've always thought the glass was soft (if glass can be soft). After 18 months, mine looks like it has been sandblasted - it's absolutely covered in small chips.

I got a big chip fixed last week about 2 inches from the top of the screen in the middle and was kind of surprised that he was able to fix it without it spreading - this was Novus though :confused:

Any hope of getting your insurance co. to pay for it? NRMA brought out no excess windscreen replacement a couple of days after my renewal so I’ve got to wait until May next year before I’m covered.

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
Well, the new screen is in and I'm $230 lighter in the wallet. Who says unnecessary mods can't help to reduce weight. :p

Got a bit of a fright when I hopped in the car and it looked like there was a small crack in the bottom left corner. :eek: The guy tells me it's only a scratch and that he'll polish it out once the screen has cured properly. Watch this space!

Oh, and for what it is worth, the crack which was maybe 10-15mm long when I left the car with them was comfortably over 300mm when I went down and checked out the car at lunch time. All from about 15 minutes of sitting in the sun. Worse, the crack was going right through the line of sight on the driver's side. All fixed now though.

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
$230 inc or ex GST? O'brien isn't it?

Have you tried spraying water across your screen and see if it leaks? :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts