MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys

I have a question and a warning, based on really lousy personal experience from two days ago.

I was on a highway driving back home, on a middle lane at about 140k/h, taking it easy.
I saw in my mirrors a car coming really fast, taking over in zig zag, using the left and right lanes.

He jump right in front of me but so happen there were cars on all lines so he could not take over, driving way too fast, he slammed the brakes. So did I to avoid ramming that idiot. From 140 to zero in a very short while. As a result of such sudden stop, my front windscreen cracked from top downward , about 20 inch L shape.

I guess such sudden stop put too much stress on the body and the window went sideways and cracked. So be careful, while driving fast, keep that in mind. It wasn't a stone, I did check carefully.

I was so ****ed off that I did not even pay attention to other things. Turn up that my Brake light jammed and was ON all the way home. When I off the car and removed the key, the light was still on. I locked the car, light still on. I must have jammed the switch while hitting the brake so hard. I taped the pedal few times and it was ok.

But I notice one more thing, my 3rd brake light no longer works. Any idea what could happen?
I hope is the fuse.
If it's a fuse, do you know which of the fuses is responsible for that light ? I had a quick look but they seem ok. Perhaps I didn't pay attention. I'm still too upset about the windscreen. Especially that being located in Asia Pacific, I need to wait 3 weeks for them to order the stock and then give them my car for few days to fix it.

Heartache ...
Drive safe and watch out for sudden brake.

regards

Sebastian

p.s. I drive 05 cooper s cabrio - UK specs.

·
totalMINI punto com
222 Posts
wow, really sorry that happened to you. One question, do you use a brace bar of any type on your vehicle?

·
Purple a Fruit
91 Posts
Hello Sebastian
Sorry about about you're windscreen, I had mine replace three times so far. So I feel ya brother.:p
The Cabrio do allot of flexing, you need an anti-sway bar either front or back but not both, It will help with the flexing and handling.

Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Sebastian
Sorry about about you're windscreen, I had mine replace three times so far. So I feel ya brother.:p
The Cabrio do allot of flexing, you need an anti-sway bar either front or back but not both, It will help with the flexing and handling.
Good Luck
3 times ? Are you kidding ? In what period of time? This is crazy...

Anyway, thanks guys for the "sympathy", I really hate when things happen to my car, especially
things that result in lots of opening and messing around with in order to fix the problem.

I will get the anti-sway bar, hopefully soon. Tho do tell, are the any things I should be aware of
once I put it on? Any consequence of that?

Also, do you guys know which is the fuse for the 3rd brake light?

·
Purple a Fruit
91 Posts
3 times ? Are you kidding ? In what period of time? This is crazy...

Anyway, thanks guys for the "sympathy", I really hate when things happen to my car, especially
things that result in lots of opening and messing around with in order to fix the problem.

I will get the anti-sway bar, hopefully soon. Tho do tell, are the any things I should be aware of
once I put it on? Any consequence of that?

Also, do you guys know which is the fuse for the 3rd brake light?
I got my car in May of 05, all three time I got hit by rocks. But I used an aftermarket windscreen, rocks don't care if you have genuine BMW parts or not. So it was really cheap to replace;)
I put on a rear anti-sway bar early on when I got my car, it's a19mm bar. There is no consequences in using a bar, you will see better handling in you're car right away. Another bar the M7 is a front brace and prevents mushrooming, real problems with MINI's.

·
totalMINI punto com
222 Posts
Perhaps an explanation of "mushrooming" is in order...since I am still imagining it...LOL.

·
Purple a Fruit
91 Posts
O.K. about mushrooming, I don't much about roads in Europe but here in the States they suck!
BMW cars are design for the Autobahn, the suspension is a little too delicate for the roads here.
This goes for the MINI too, I try my best to avoid potholes but once in awhile one will sneak up on you. The strut towers start to crack and the sheet-metal on top will start to deformed too. Some people claim that if you use lowering springs and bigger wheels like 17 or 18 inches will cause the problem. I heard that the first Gen MINI's are prone to this, but not 2nd Gen I don't know this for a fact. To fix it you have to jack the car up and take a piece of a 2 by 4 and a sledgehammer and bang on the top of the strut towers.:eek: Here are some pics of the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lucky you Londo,
in here (Malaysia) is rather difficult to find after market parts. MINI isn't a very popular car so no one bother to bring these parts in, just not so much demand. And if you use after market parts, the authorized service centers will not allow your car in. When comes to the none authorized workshops, they just not experienced enough to handle it. I would be really worry taking my car there :) MINI is not really popular in here due to number of factors. The key factor is the price. Import tax on cars is around 300%. To be exact MINI Cooper S will cost USD 75.000; An average monthly salary is around USD 600 to USD 1K. So, if people are to pick a car, they rather go for something more practical. Bigger to fit the family , shopping and cheaper to maintain. Mostly local products or Japanese imports. Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi are the most common.
These are the drawbacks of having continental cars... spare parts....
Don't want to write allot because I do realized that my affairs are no one business and you couldn't care less but just to give one more example and help you realize how fortunate you guys are:
When I damaged front spoiler in my Porsche 911 turbo, it took 4 months to get replacement and two weeks in the workshop before I could collect the car. Extremely frustrating...

Anyway, follow the advice and I went to get myself the front Strut Bar, cost me USD 468, silver JCW bar. The quote for my new windscreen came at USD 1,200, with installation :) And will all honesty, the installation is what I'm worry about the most. The way they handle cars in here, ouch !!!....

Derepente

Mushrooming is when your "strut tower" burst... still imagining ?

:)

regards and have a nice weekend guys :)

·
Purple a Fruit
91 Posts
I don't mine hearing stories about other MINI owners around the world. It makes me appreciate how lucky I am to live here. Sebastian I'm not going tell you what paid to get my windscreens fixed. It will only depressed you more. Take care and good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts