MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SimonSJR
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening,

Unfortunately this morning I left for work in my Cooper S, put the rear window heater on and drove down the road (this is the first time I have used it as the car is just a week old 58plate) and after 2 minutes of driving I heard a crunch sound.... Looked to my drivers side mirror and it had 3 big cracks going through it all from the top centre :mad:

It really got to me as the car is so new, and its already in tomorrow for the second time due to a faulty stereo system (ipod connection will not work).

It's a great car and I love it to bits, so much fun and its so fast! Just these niggling glitches are frustrating when you pay £20+ grand for a new car...

How do I convince my dealer that this happend, because if someone said to me it just cracked because of the heat i'd be in two minds. :rolleyes:

I'm taking it in tomorrow morning so where do I stand?

Thanks guys.

p.s i'm not one for complaining but there is no way i'm paying for this as its obviously a faulty piece of glass.

·
SimonSJR
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Scrogg,

Thanks for the reply mate ;)

It's the piece of glass itself. The cover etc is fine. If you imagine where the heating element line is, about an inch to the left of that at the top the is a crack that splits into three cracks all the way to the bottom of the pane. It seems to be just surface because the glass has held in place and i've driven around with it all day...

Hope this helps you answer my issue :)

Simon

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
As with everything, you don't ask if you don't get, so try asking your dealership to replace it under warranty. The fact that the casing is fine should work in your favour, as they can't say the glass cracked when you knocked the mirror on something.

Sounds to me like the glass had a weak point that cracked when it heated up.

·
SimonSJR
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am guessing they are heated? Does this element turn on when the rear window heater is turned on?

My car is a Cooper S with the Chilli pack. It does have the orange coloured line running down the far side of the glass so i'm guessing this must be the heating element?

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
988 Posts
Like Scrogg said, you don't have any damage to your actual wing mirror cover, so they can't see you've clipped it on another car etc.

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
I am guessing they are heated? Does this element turn on when the rear window heater is turned on?
Did you specify heated Door Mirrors & Washerjets when you ordered the car?

I assumed you had them because you said you had in your previous post.

Thinking about it, they come on automatically, not with the heated rear screen, so I doubt it was cold enough this morning for them to come on, so I doubt that caused it...

·
SimonSJR
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmmm,

Seems pretty odd then?

I live on a bumpy lane, is it possible that a sudden jolt caused a weak spot to crack?

I really am miffed as i've never had anything like this happen before.

As you say, the casing is intact so I should be able to make a good case.

Cheers guys.

·
SimonSJR
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news people....

The BMW dealership in Wolves (not sure if I can name as there not a sponsor) said that the cracked wing mirror could not be replaced under warrenty because it is a crack?

It seems they don't buy the fact it cracked for no reason?

So.... I called MINI UK to tell them of my experience with this car... Center light cover in roof lining missing, ipod connection not working and having the whole on board computer system replaced and without my car for another 2 days this week! The called me to say they have agreed to replace the wing mirror as a good will for all of my problems with the car :eek:

I am just thankful, that despite them not buying my wing mirror crack story (this is 100% true, no impact or anything inflicted) MINI have agreed to fund the new glass.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this story

Simon :red:

·
SimonSJR
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As happy as one can get killerbyte, but when you pay £20,000 for a new car i'd have been dissapointed if they hadn't.

Thanks people! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts