MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess its not really a fault but.

How do the wing mirrors fold? the manual shows a switch for wing mirrors with motors to fold in but I dont have that.

My guess is they swing upwards but when I tried they are too stiff (I did not want to force it as going into the house with the wing mirror in my hands could mean a big problem for my wife).

Do they fold? and which way? then I can give it a bit more brute force!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Louts!

My mirrors are always being pushed by people walking up and down the road at night. (I live near a pub)
Anyway they just rotate - although they don't look neat when pushed in.
I assume the electric motor would just perform this operation for you, although it's cheaper to live near a pub and let the louts do it....I just need to train them to do both sides.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I also live near a pub but so far no luck! I will have to put the car nearer to the road and see what happens.

I figured they had to rotate but knowing me it will break off in my hands so I will leave it to chance to move them I think.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
They rotate quite easily but if you are in any doubt then just park it at asda and watch someone do it for you a few times till you get the hang of it.
Some old witch did it to my car this week but I have dark windows and she did not notice me inside and was quite surprised when I opened the window cos she thought she had got away without beeing noticed

·
Registered
213 Posts
Motorised mirrors?

Does anyone know of being able to order wing mirrors that you can electrically pull them... in case of impending trolleys coming at you in a supermarket car park?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
sorry for stateing the obvious here but does anyone actually have wing mirrors anymore cos my cooper has DOOR MIRRORS:p :p

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
zoooooom said:
sorry for stateing the obvious here but does anyone actually have wing mirrors anymore cos my cooper has DOOR MIRRORS:p :p
:D ;)

I call them wing mirrors as well :p

LMB:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There wing mirrors and I say so there!!!

Gary as for ordering them? I dont know they are in the users manual as being powered but then will BMW let you order whats in that manual I dont know!

try your friendly local dealer!

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'd guess powered mirrors is for the american market rather than the british...

We seem to still be able to do the occasional thing without powered-assistance ;-)

I fold my mirror or mirrors most nights and admire the easy way that it happens - excellent design. My old MX-5 was a nightmare and they had to be re-adjusted each time...

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
lightbody said:
I'd guess powered mirrors is for the american market rather than the british...

We seem to still be able to do the occasional thing without powered-assistance ;-)

I fold my mirror or mirrors most nights and admire the easy way that it happens - excellent design. My old MX-5 was a nightmare and they had to be re-adjusted each time...
Hey there are still some things in this country that aren't power assisted. Just give a minute and I'll think of them... :)

Anyway, there is no need for folding mirrors in this country - we've got space to spare. :) (Rob, we don't have that habit found in the UK of having to park with two wheels on the pavement (sidewalk) because there there isn't enough space elsewhere :rolleyes: and worrying about getting the mirrors hit.)

I would bet the folding mirrors are for the Japanese market where space is at a premium (and where the MINI will surely be considered a very wide car compared to other cars its length). I remember reading that motor-driven mirrors that fold in toward the body are fairly standard in Japan.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah lots of japanese cars have powered folding wing mirrors. Also seen them on high end cars over here. Helps the Jags get through the narrow gaps!

Depends on if the MINI will be seen as a high end luxury car.

For me of course it is!:D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ruff said:
Yeah lots of japanese cars have powered folding wing mirrors. Also seen them on high end cars over here. Helps the Jags get through the narrow gaps!

Depends on if the MINI will be seen as a high end luxury car.

For me of course it is!:D
I agree that a 'high end' car should have the option of the power retractable door (wing;) ) mirrors.

UK driveways can be v e r y narrow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Broken wing mirrors...

Does anyone know if it is possible to re-fit the wing (door) mirrors when they have been kicked off by some hooligan? There doesn't appear to be any damage, and the cable for the electric adjustment is fine, but the mirror is currently hanging off the door. I'm sure I could get it fixed by a MINI garage, but we only got the car on Saturday and I'm a bit short on cash as a result!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to re-fit the wing (door) mirrors when they have been kicked off by some hooligan

Sorry - don't know the answer to that, but what a rotten thing to happen to your new motor! - makes you wonder what some folk are about..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tom

If there's no damage, best thing to do is take the car to your dealer and tell him the mirror just dropped off. They should replace it under warranty. This happened to my Cooper recently: drove off and discovered that the n/side mirror was hanging off, with no apparent damage. Dealer replaced it without a quibble. Still not sure if it was due to a faulty mirror, a drunken oik or an over-sized sleeping policeman.

My dealer said that he'd heard that there's been a few problems with them, and he also noted that the part no. has already been changed (which suggests that there has been a modification made already).

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
334 Posts
andrew peel said:
Tom

If there's no damage, best thing to do is take the car to your dealer and tell him the mirror just dropped off.
but be sure and wipe off the footprint first ;) . What a b*****d of a thing to have happen.

kjs

·
Registered
808 Posts
Mirrors

Hi,
Ruff and InsiderMINI have basically hit the nail on the head.
The electric folding mirrors are incorporated into the Japspec MINI's.
If you cant live without them now that you know they exist, do what Ruff said - ask your dealer. (actually, beg him -maybe in a fake a japanese accent!!)
All the best.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts