MINI Cooper Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Play On!
1,023 Posts
Like David's, my MINI shod with Hakkapeliitta have been to Hudson Bay, Happy Valley / Goose Bay, Gros Morne and St. John without incident. Great traction whether on the Ice Dragon or blasting through the Bay of Fundy in six inches of unplowed new snow.

I got mine from Bavarian Auto, mounted on what are now very rusted, un-cared-for steel wheels. A friend of mine from Amherst NH just picked up his MINI S this past Tuesday. He ended up going to Tire Rack for snows mounted on alloy wheels, most like the Hakkapeliittas.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got what I came for--info re snow tires

Greetings:

I just registered for this forum in order to learn if I should get snow tires for my new Mini Clubman (Hot Chocolate & Silver with racing flag motif on mirrors & dashboard; it's pretty nice). I live in New England, north of Boston, and have always had snow tires. I thought it might be psychological, the feeling of safety, but after reading all these posts I'm definitely getting snow tires. Also, someone told me (not a Mini owner) to put weight in the back as the car is so light. Would anyone care to comment on that? I'm not afraid of getting stuck so much as slipping and sliding...scary.

Many thanks in advance,

Golditoo

·
UJOC no. GB067
270 Posts
Just placed an order for Hakka Rs at Town Fair Tire in Nashua. Should have them on today or tomorrow. Turns out the Hakka 5s *are* available unstudded. I didn't get any meaningful information from the Nokian dealer I called in Manchester to pick between the R and the 5, so I just went with the R. If it's good enough for David, it should be good enough for me. ;)
interesting; may be the US market is different. You'll be fine on the R's!

·
UJOC no. GB067
270 Posts
Greetings:

I just registered for this forum in order to learn if I should get snow tires for my new Mini Clubman (Hot Chocolate & Silver with racing flag motif on mirrors & dashboard; it's pretty nice). I live in New England, north of Boston, and have always had snow tires. I thought it might be psychological, the feeling of safety, but after reading all these posts I'm definitely getting snow tires. Also, someone told me (not a Mini owner) to put weight in the back as the car is so light. Would anyone care to comment on that? I'm not afraid of getting stuck so much as slipping and sliding...scary.

Many thanks in advance,

Golditoo
additional weight in the back is nonsense: it's front wheel drive so weight in the back will only reduce traction, although I suppose it might improve braking (in a straight line) as the rear brakes can wor harder (check out the EBD illustrations online). It only make sense in a rear wheel drive car, but either way, you're better off with decent winter tyres!

·
LIFE IS GOOD
12 Posts
Gotta Get Some New Tires

Well, my husband and I are ready for our second New England winter...almost. We're in our new home and trying to follow the thousands of tips we're getting about how to manage our long driveway in the snow, what to do when momma bear shows up in your yard, what to do when we lose power for three weeks, and how to winterize the house. As for the care, we've got snow tires on the Saab and they work great. They got us through last winter which was apparently insane even for people used to this area. But I need to drive my mini. Originally I had 17" all season run flats. The only thing I learned is that all season means "sucks most of the time." For my birthday, my husband got me summer/wet weather performance tires. (he's quite the romantic) ;) They're great I had a LOT of fun with them this summer. Unfortunately, they're horrible on black ice as suspected...so it looks like we're going to need another set of tires. Here's my question though. How much do the snow tires help? I know they'll be significantly better than what I have now but people keep telling me the mini is so light that it won't help much. That would make sense to me except it DOESN'T! So I figured I should look here for some comments/advice from people who actually drive minis up here. Not to my surprise, there's a whole thread on it from years before I even had a mini!
..so, guess I have a few years of reading to catch up on!

·
Rabid Motorer
2,235 Posts
Hey, neighbor. :) Honestly, you need snow tires. I had 4-year-old used snow tires on my MINI last year and it went like a snowmobile through everything I took it through (which admittedly wasn't much). My 4x4 Jeep –*with fairly worn all-season SUV-like tires – had trouble making it up the driveway. The Nokian Hakkas are (from what I'm told) the be-all and end-all of snow tires, especially if you go studded. I think you'll probably just do fine if you get a 15" wheel/tire set from Tire Rack, too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I live south of Boston, near Foxboro stadium. I ran for three winters on 17" run-flat all-seasons on my R53 and never had any problems. When my R56 arrived it came with 17" summer tyres (not what I wanted, but that's a long story...), so I decided I would get a set of 16" snows last winter. These have been great. I don't like them in the dry, and they don't seem as good as the summer tyres in the wet, but in the snow and ice they are fantastic. I plan to keep doing the summer/winter swap thing for as long as we live up here.

·
Play On!
1,023 Posts
I, too, have the Nokian Hakkapallitas but do NOT use studs unless, one , you know they are legal where you drive and, two, you plan to be on ice a lot.

Studs on dry pavement are useless, possibly worse than useless. Studs on ice (such as the James Bay Road in Ontario or the Ice Dragon in Labrador or James Bay itself) make the most sense.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts