MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· blacklisted by dealer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan on keeping my MCS in storage this winter. However, I have a few concerns. Primarily when parked is it best keep the car covered or uncovered. It will be a locked building, no temperature or humidity control. I don't want to buy a cover made for the MINI. But my dad has stored multiple cars before during the colder seasons using blankets. Is this a good idea, especially if they might not be the cleanest? They have been washed of course, yet there may still be contaminants in the blankets. Correct?

Should just leave the car bare or use these blankets?

My current opinion is that it is better to leave it uncovered?.?.

All advice on this topic would be appreciated.

· Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,148 Posts
A car cover will keep the dust off, as will a blanket but I don't think it will do much more than that. So If the car is in a barn or other sort of dusty building I'd vote yes. The fabric should be breathable don't use plastic tarps.

· Motorer extraordinaire
131 Posts
I agree. Any breathable soft fabric cover should be fine. You should also disconnect the battery (or connect a trickle charger), fill the gas tank and add fuel stabilizer, and put it on jackstands to unload the suspension and prevent flat-spotting the tires.

· blacklisted by dealer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help so far. Just one more concern that I would like to clarify. Will the blanket do more harm, such as scratching the paint if it is not perfectly clean, than not if I were not to cover the car. oldpaint1 you made a correct assumption that the building will be dusty, only moderately, but dusty nevertheless. Lastly I think that even if I do decide to leave the car uncovered it will still be much better than leaving the car parked outside during the winter on campus.

Either way I planned on claybarring the entire and car and using a DA polisher in the spring. Just want to do what is best for my car.

· Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,141 Posts
Carvnit

Forgetting the car for a moment, what about your own maintenance? How are you going to survive the winter months without a fix of MINI?

I don't need my MINI during the winter months but I am trying to imagine what sort of winters you must have to make you consider being MINI free for 6 months.... You must be expecting some glacial activity :D

Tigger

· Registered
274 Posts
Salt Sucks!!!!

Tigger said:
Forgetting the car for a moment, what about your own maintenance? How are you going to survive the winter months without a fix of MINI?

I don't need my MINI during the winter months but I am trying to imagine what sort of winters you must have to make you consider being MINI free for 6 months.... You must be expecting some glacial activity :D

Tigger
since CARVNIT is in wisconsin, I'll assume they use they same salt to de-ice roads in the winter...driving thru brine sucks-rust is guaranteed, stepping into a car with salt and snow covered shoes destroys carpets and mats, trashes out pedals and door wells; I don't have the time to wash jack after every drive in the winter, so as soon as the salt goes down(usually Nov/Dec), he gets put up :( , til the second or third rain of spring.

· Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,148 Posts
CARVNIT said:
Thanks for your help so far. Just one more concern that I would like to clarify. Will the blanket do more harm, such as scratching the paint if it is not perfectly clean, than not if I were not to cover the car. oldpaint1 you made a correct assumption that the building will be dusty, only moderately, but dusty nevertheless. Lastly I think that even if I do decide to leave the car uncovered it will still be much better than leaving the car parked outside during the winter on campus.

Either way I planned on claybarring the entire and car and using a DA polisher in the spring. Just want to do what is best for my car.
If your blanket has a lot of grit in it then putting it on and taking it off could cause scratching. While my mini
will stay outside all winter my other car (see gallery) will be in a shed and, except while I work on it, under a car cover. I find that in my location, close to some dirt roads, even though the car is in a shed a layer of dust will be noticible on the car in a week.

· Registered
141 Posts
I don't normally drive my car in the winter because of the salt (use 98 Honda Civic as my salt car), but I keep it in the garage ready to go. On dry, sunny cold days (no slushy puddles), I will still drive the MCS, (usually at least 2-3 times per month, or more).

I think this is better than not driving it at all for 3-4 months, and less hassle for me. Plus, I get a MINI "fix" every so often to tide me over to spring !! :D

· blacklisted by dealer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First of all - a big thanks to everyone for their advice.

I have decided the next time I go home I will just take the blankets off and keep them off. I will need to pull it out anyways to take the wheels off the car and get a good coat of wax on them.

As for not being able to get my MINI fix during this period: Well, I will have to make do. I am sure however that it will provide me with more peace of mind. Not having to move my car everyday, or worrying the about the next person shoveling their car out in the parking lot, getting slush and salt thrown on it, etc. It will just make our time together all that more special. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.