MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MINI2 Lover
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I have a set of winter tires from last year winter in the garage and two that were on the front wheels are pretty worn out. The other two that were on the rear are still in good conditions.

I'm planning on putting them back on end of this week. Is it safe to put them back on myself in my garage? These wheels were balanced when I purchased them, of course, so I'm guessing I can just throw them on myself.

And how would you put them back on? Worn out ones in the rear?? Or should I rotate them so front has one worn out and one good tire?

Thank you!

P.S. I don't want to purchase new set of winter tires this winter because I bought these last winter. Seems very wasteful.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
First, make sure they are not directional. There may be an arrow on the tire that depicts the rotation. If you have that, make sure you get them on the proper sides.

Putting the tires on, select the best tread for the front and move the worst ones to the rear.

You can check a tire by looking at the "wear bars". In the grooves, you should see a rasied area that doesn't go all the way to the top. This is the wear bar and will tell you when you should replace the tire. If it is worn down to this bar it is time for new tires. Putting worn tires on the back that don't have some tread left is dangerous and not recommended. In that case you could buy two new ones.

Changing tires is easy and only requires you to swap them out. Balancing should be fine provided you didn't knock off the balancing lead.

·
Registered
106 Posts
+1 with DaFlake as long as the worn tires still have good tread, otherwise you will have an oversteering monster. You really need to rotate the tires often so you don't end up in the situation where 2 are worn significantly more than the others.

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
+1 with DaFlake ... for winter driving, especially in Mtl, you really do want to get two new tires with good tread if two are worn out. An acident is a lot more expensive than the tyres ..

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
The tire and wheel combo was previously balanced, so they can be bolted on by yourself. I do this every spring and fall, have had zero problems. Contrary to most of the advice here, put the best tread on the rears. Yes, I know front drive you want good traction for starting out, but with well worn tires on the rear, oversteer will be the order of the day, and you may not see what you hit, as you'll be hitting it backwards. :eek:
Buy two new tires if at all possible and put these on the rear. Then every seasonal change rotate from front to back to even out the wear and maximize tire life.

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
There is no question! The best tyres (tires) must ALWAYS go on the back axle, and it makes no difference if the car is FWD, RWD or AWD. (This is drummed into all new drivers here , when they attend the mandatory day of skid-pan and handling training). When you need grip the most is in an emergency situation, when you are braking - in which case the weight of the car is more on the front than on the rear. And if you do lose the front, understeer is much safer than oversteer.

Please don't take a risk just to save a couple of hundred bucks - if you have worn rubber, replace it!

On a similar theme, do MINI people with winter tyres have winter runflats?

Ian

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Oddly I was taught (in a winter driving course) that the best go to the axel that is being driven. Slicker on the drive axel do you no good if you need to remove or add power to the car and as this is a front wheel drive, the drive axel also provides traction to turn the car. Add to that there is really no backend in a MINI and I think that you will waste the good ones on the back axel. Lastly I have driven with both like that, in snow, on the MINI and ended up switching them halfway though the season (putting the better ones on the front) because I had less control. I guess we agree to disagree.

·
MINI2 Hyper Blue
45 Posts
Hey everyone, I also vote new tyres - I got some 175-60 16, dunlop sp wintersport 3d run flat for about 150CHF each. which is about 150CAD. I am in a situation similar to yours having two tyres more worn than the rest - but I don't mind paying up now to have the car in good shape for the winter... Plus these tyres are on their third season.
Having said that - for yours to be worn out in a single season is a bit worrying - are they evenly worn? Or has some spirited driving accounted for the lost rubber?
Ben

·
UJOC no. GB067
270 Posts
There is no question! The best tyres (tires) must ALWAYS go on the back axle, and it makes no difference if the car is FWD, RWD or AWD. (This is drummed into all new drivers here , when they attend the mandatory day of skid-pan and handling training). When you need grip the most is in an emergency situation, when you are braking - in which case the weight of the car is more on the front than on the rear. And if you do lose the front, understeer is much safer than oversteer.

Please don't take a risk just to save a couple of hundred bucks - if you have worn rubber, replace it!

On a similar theme, do MINI people with winter tyres have winter runflats?

Ian
Agreed; I've only spun once in the winter - and that car had worn tyres on the back...

As to my MINI, I don't have winter run flats: the tyre shop quoted a 20% premium for run-flat Nokian Hakkapeliitta 195/55R16 studded M&S tyres. Finally I decided that it would be easier to have a non-run flat repaired than have to buy two new tyres in the event of a puncture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts