MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first snow experience in my MCS tonight, and I think I want to get some winter tires. Can I switch from my 205/45/17's to a 15" rim? I'd go for 16 inch wheels, but someone local is selling a set of factory 15", so if it's not a problem that's the way I'd like to go. I assume the correct tire for these would be a 185/65/15? He lists a 175/65/15 now, but I'm not sure if that would be the right swap out for me or not...

*edit typed 176 instead of 175

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
The stock tire size on the OEM MINI 15" wheels is 175/65R15 but 185/65R15 should also fit (and is much easier to find). 15" alloy wheels work fine on the MCS, they'll clear the stock brakes just fine (same size as the MC). Many steel 15" wheels don't work, however, so going for 15" alloys is probably for the best.

Harry

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
I did this myself, haven't had snow yet (well there was a small storm earlier this month but I only got the snows mounted this week).

1. Check these boards and NAM as well. Lots of advice and discussion that helped me.
  2. Check the FAQs...there's a good list of wheel sizes and poll of who's running which tire.
  3. Check eBay for some alloys. I got a set of R81s (15" MINI) for a decent price.
  4. I went with Nokian Hakkepelittas from www.tirefactory.net; I got Qs for a good price. BTW, I went with 185s, you should run a narrower snow as it "cuts" thru the snow easier.
I think I ended up paying about $200 more than the TireRack Blizzak/steelies pkg. In the past few days, I think people have had their TR pkgs delayed as well so be aware of that.

I definately noticed a difference in handling tho'. The ride is softer than my 17" w/ RFs. But, cornering at the edge is "softer", taking an exit at 50mph the other day (one that I can normally do easily) the car felt like it was going to lose grip -- the DSC light wasn't on but the car definately felt different. Obviously expected w/ the snows and all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.