MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool: :red: Just trying to get an Idea of what some other Cooper S people got for Winter tires.

did you go for the one of the Mini Dealership packages? Runflats or Non Runflats? what type/Make of Tire?

I'm looking at the Dealership package of Runflats and trying to figure out if the $2100cdn is worth it for 4 Mini 5 spoke rims and 4 runflat Dunlop 16" tires?

thanks

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
I went to a local wheel and tire guy who set me up with a set of American Eagle Alloy Series 169 rims (15") and Michelin Arctic Alpin tires (195/60). Total cost was about $1,200 - a lot less than what your dealer is quoting you. This wasn't even an advertised special; it was a package we put togetherafter looking through catalogues. You can save even more if you don't mind running steelies.

Granted, that didn't price include runflats, but then I've always reckoned that the chance of puncture in winter is far less than summer. Snow covers up a great deal. :D

-CW

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
I just put a package together w/ Nokian Hakkepelitas and steel rims, total cost ~US$600 or so.

They're not RF....I think that while there may be less debris on the road, you do have to be leery of a pinch flat by hitting deep potholes, etc but I'm gonna take a chance. It's also why I went w/ steelies -- cheaper replacement cost.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I ran used X-lite (MINI V-spoke 16" wheels) with new Dunlop SP WinterSport M3 DSST (runflats) the past two seasons and I'll be running with them again. A season of rallying (including both snow and gravel) killed two tires on the front but last year I didn't rally it and they lasted well. I'll probably replace the worn ones this year as they were already close to the wear bars last year and I put them on the back which made for some oversteer. Overall very pleased with them on snow, pavement, gravel, mud and ice, including at high speed (they are H rated).

Harry

·
Registered
27 Posts
My winter tires...

BFGoodrich G/force TA KDW's

Why you ask? Because I live a 100 miles from the mexican border, AARRIIBBAA :p
it dips down to around 50 60 degrees avg. bbbrrrr

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder what just the 16" 5 spoke rims are going for? last thing you want is you Cooper looking like crap for 6months with steels rims for the winter. Then I could spec out Dunlop's or Pirelli's on my own...

Mini basically wants $550cdn per rim and tire. I think I can get the tires for under $200... :red: :red:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm ordering dunlop graspic DS2s in 215-45-17 at a local tire shop, cost is 150$ per tire. The dealer is not the best place to buy wheels / tires, not around here anyway. Since I'll be running winter tires a good 4 months I figured wth I'm keeping my 17"s.

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
mini oem steel rims with no cover, riding on 185/65-15 Pirelli winter carving,

from experience, they produce no noise, perfectly fine for street, and handles well in the snow... overall good tire... if i really need to i can always stud them, although illegal in canada i dont think any opp will stop me in the middle of a snowstorm to ask if i hv studs in the tire!

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
Not knowing just how far north you are all I can say is that a narrower wheel/tyre combination is always better in the snow.

I am currently running the 15"x5.5" 7-hole rim from a MINI Cooper with 175/65-15 Nokians on my MCS. They drive great in any condition. It also makes you really appreciate the added traction of a dedicated high performance summer only tire.

If I had not found such a really great deal on the 7-hole take-offs I would have gone with steelies, they make your MINI loook "winter tough". :D

Take a look in my gallery for some snow pictures.

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
Bilbo Baggins said:
Not knowing just how far north you are all I can say is that a narrower wheel/tyre combination is always better in the snow.

I am currently running the 15"x5.5" 7-hole rim from a MINI Cooper with 175/65-15 Nokians on my MCS. They drive great in any condition. It also makes you really appreciate the added traction of a dedicated high performance summer only tire.
Bilbo, do you know if I can fit Nokian 185/65/R15s on these MINI rims?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Feb 23, 2005 ! Just ordered a set of Pirelli WInter Control 190 ( 175/65/15 ) with steel wheels ! $680 !!!

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Kenmini said:
Feb 23, 2005 ! Just ordered a set of Pirelli WInter Control 190 ( 175/65/15 ) with steel wheels ! $680 !!!
Is that US or CDN dollars?
Dealers here had the same package for $999 CDN installed. (including MINI covers)
I ended up buying Toyo Observe G02 Plus in 185/60R15 size and mounted on stock 7 hole R81 wheels for winter use. They offer much better grip in cold temps than the stock Conti all-seasons.
Have a set of 16" X-lites with Dunlop run-flats for summer use.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Canadian dollar !

·
Registered
92 Posts
Kenmini said:
WINTER TIRE UPDATE !!!!!

My steel wheels are 15x6" .. so at first I was afriad that it will rub .. it did when I was doing quick U turns or very very right turns ( 40KM+ ) ... but if I slow things down and make slow U turns ( 10KM ) ... I had absolutely no rubbing problem ! So far so good ... very quiet.. more comfortable ride compare to my 17" Pirelli runflats ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts