MINI Cooper Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
the wipers are searching for where to park, this is signal sent out from the motor, if it cant find this signal they will stop anyway but just not where they are supposed to, If that makes sense..You can test this with a multimeter or test lamp
I have a question about this reply (8 years later). Why would the wipers be searching for where to park without a request (or signal) to park them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good question without a reply...

I have an 04 MC R50 MK1. The WS motor Is good (tested through the relay with an open relay where basically I make contact with the terminals and the motor turns on but does not go to park and only operates when I press the relay button). The fuse is good, the ground is good, took apart the switch on the steering column to find no defects. Next are the relays without automatically assuming the BC1 is defective. 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
more likely to be bcm fault see a lot of failed ones

Reactions: Eaglet24

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
its coded to keys and central locking on gen 1 cars,, ie if you can live with no central locking or alarm they will plug and play,, but if you insurance got wind of it on a claim they would prob not way out say if car got stolen etc,
the other way is to have it repaired as its tends to be the soldered relays that fail BBA REMEN in uk repair them they might do over seas worth a ask, , or could have them cloned

Reactions: Eaglet24

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so, I replaced the R5 and R7 relays just now and observed: R7 is clicking now and but R5 remains silent and motionless. Installed the tester relay in the R5 position and noted motion when actuated. When High position is selected while tester relay is actuated, the wiper motor goes to high speed.
I would say that the control module is defective. I could get one locally to test I guess and report my findings. I’ll eventually take it to the dealer to program it but for now, I just need the thing to work. I’ll also be replacing the head gasket in a bit too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wiper

Hey...

I have the same problem, could you please please please explain me in more datail how you solved it?

Thanks
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I had this same experience with the wipers not turning off and working randomly in every position. I discovered that the issue was with the rain sensor in my R53 Cooper S. My coolant reservoir had developed a crack in the seem and was pumping antifreeze steam all through the engine bay and on my windshield. After replacing the reservoir I went after the wiper issue. The glycol in the antifreeze steam had produces a film on the windshield which was triggering the rain sensor (located behind the rear view mirror). I scrubbed the windshield with glass cleaner and a micro fiber cloth and BOOM!! Fixed!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts