MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
482 Posts
I specced this (I think the technical name is an induction charger) on my car and between ordering the car and it being delivered I got an IPhone 8 Plus - car was delivered and the slider on the induction pad is about 2mm too short to accommodation the new phone. My only get around for this expensive and useless piece of kit is to revert to the old fashioned white cable from Apple and plug it into one of the USB sockets.
I recently bought a new IPad Pro 11” and find now I have to buy another load of cables and connectors as Apple has changed from the Lightenng connector to USB C connections......... Worse the cable that comes with the tablet has a USB C connector on each end - so had to go and find a new cable with USB A on one end and a USB C on the other because none of the USB C connection cables I already have were not compatible with the iPad........ no data or charge was transferred down the old ones.... grrrrrr

· Registered
1 Posts
@Livetorideca, can you elaborate on how you removed the qi charger? I'm wanting to perform this mod myself but I can't figure out how the interior of the armrest comes apart to get at the charger, the only documentation anyone has done on this has been for BMWs.
If you click on the dropbox link, it has everything you need, the file to order the bracket as well as basic simple instructions and some photos. It looks to be between $14-$205 depending on the material and color you choose to order it in.

· Registered
4 Posts
No it has mostly everything you need, its just a downloaded version of this thread from bimmerpost...and thats the problem. The instructions for removing it are based on a BMW 2 series. I'm not convinced that prying from the front like they did will work the same way in the mini center console. There's a single piece of plastic holding it down at the front in the BMWs, in the Minis it looks like its the whole interior of the arm rest. Once its out thought yeah the rest of those instructions should be fine.

Edit: Here is the shot I was looking for advice on, theres a hook under the front of the charger and that plastic piece hes prying on is holding it down. In the BMWs it seem to just pop off and be a separate piece.

But in the countryman the equivalent piece is molded in with rest of the top of the interior of the armrest, so I was hoping somebody knew how to remove that piece.

· Registered
4 Posts
Found another thread where somebody better documented how its held in. Looks like it might be possible to remove without taking the armrest apart. There's the large clip at the front which you can't do anything about, but there are 4 more clips on the sides towards the back that you can potentially depress with shims. You would then be able to lever the whole thing forward, pivoting on that front clip to get it out.

The only problem is that unlike in the 2 series, the charger goes all the way to the back of the inside of the arm rest, the 2 series has a gap behind the charger. I'm afraid that even if you mange to depress the side clips, when you try to rotate around that front clip your just gonna bump into that back of the inside of the compartment. I might give this a try if I can find shims small enough.

· Registered
2013: Mini R59 Roadster in Chilli Red
60 Posts
When I installed my central arm rest I dumped the wireless system. I fed a 2 meter iPhone lightning cable from my USB socket (in ciggie lighter) under my Sentra console and up through my armrest into the internal tray. I just plug it into my iPhone and I can close the lid. Simples

· Registered
9 Posts
I wrote a post on this iphone issue:

· Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone tried either 1. removing the rubber bit by the indicator light or 2. entirely removing the slider?
I have a large Samsung phone. I removed the slider from my Clubman yesterday. If you just do that, your phone will fit, but the charger will not work, as it does not activate until the slider moves back slightly.

So, I separated the charger from the armrest using the instructions above. Then, I wedged a small size loyalty card between the slider and its stopping point. That way, the charger thinks there's a phone in place. The charger now works when you first turn on the car. If you put your phone on the charger, it will charge.

However, if you do not use the charger shortly after starting, at some point (I haven't figured out exactly when), the charger times out and turns off. This is great for protecting the car battery, but limits when you can use the charger.

Still, it's at least somewhat useful now vs. totally useless before removing the slider!

· Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply. See the attached picture.

As you can see, I broker off the retaining clip. However, the charger only activates when the slider attached to the clip moves. So, I wedged in the mini loyalty card to make sure the wireless charger activates.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.