MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2003 R53 Liquid Yellow and 2012 R58 Coupe Cosmos black
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to wire a pair of spotlights to the high beam signal on my R58 coupe which has Bi-Xenon headlights. Has anyone taken a feed for the spotlight relay direct from the headlight? What colour is the shutter control wire on the headlights and is it switched live or earth?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gerry

·
Registered
07 R56 S
200 Posts
I need to wire a pair of spotlights to the high beam signal on my R58 coupe which has Bi-Xenon headlights. Has anyone taken a feed for the spotlight relay direct from the headlight? What colour is the shutter control wire on the headlights and is it switched live or earth?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gerry
Nope cant say I have but some may find this helpfull.......My H. lens 07 S, xeon were nearly opaque from age. also the bi xeon ds1 from the local big box aftermarket Xenarc Oem not chinese are $100 each....thats what I paid a yr ago. A month ago I set out to restore the lenses ...first toothpaste (fail) then a "kit" mediocre at best.....they're now perfect....here's howDepending how bad they are start wet sanding w 400 paper and
electric vibrating palm sander (sounds scary eh?) 10 min? then jump to 800 and then 1500 grt.....once you've gotten over your fear you can WET sand the lens in less than 30 min......then once it appears you have totally ruined your H. lens wipe it dry and clean.....don't be depressed the magic is about to happen....lol...apply 2 light coats of all purpose indoor/outdoor CLEAR acrylic lacquer....the moment the first bit of clear hits the lens you'll hear the angels sing...they actually look Brand new....made a big difference then I went a step further ...purchased TWO new bulbs.....the factory ones are 35 watt 4300k....Ihit amazon and for $30 I got two 35 watt 6000k....amazing! very bright white and they light the pavement up.
Note there are 55 watt bulbs and the "k" rating can go to 10 or 12000.....55 watts are said to run to hot and you will damage (melt) the projector, also anything over 5500-6000k and the lights start turning blue but actually throwing less light and lumens downrange....which might look cool, however the way I drive looking cool is impractical...kinda like being the Richest man in the graveyard. Anyway don't waste yer time with an expensive kit and tiny sanding pads, Hand sanding two hrs by hand wont yield good results and the magic potions in the kit wears off in a month....or less.
As a wise man once said....'Everyday is a school day"....cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts