MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That is the question.

The hood stripes are a $120 (Cdn) option and are decals, not paint.

I've seen pics of Cooper S' with the stripes and IMO it looks kind of cluttered. (I know many of the original Minis had hood stripes, and it's retro...).

I think I'll pass on the decals for now, and after I get my car, if I decide I like them, I should be able to get them added to my hood.

What are your opinions of the way the decals (stripes) look?

http://www.mini2.com/images/gallery/spy/cooper.jpg

·
Loves MINI2
855 Posts
Better change your wording around, before someone corrects you like this..
It is a bonnet and not a hood!

IMO, I am going to get them. They only look good with some of the colors not all.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm from Canada, eh. We call 'em hoods. :)

BTW, I'm getting a red one. I guess I have a few weeks to decide on the decals or not. Hopefully I'll see one with stripes at the upcoming Toronto International Auto Show.

Besides, if they're only decals, I'm sure you can order them AFTER you take delivery of your car.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It all depends on the date - I want stripes on even days and not odd ones so it all depends on the date when the dealer says he's ready to take my order!

·
Registered
783 Posts
If you're not sure you like them, then ordering the car without them won't help. If you don't like the way they look, you can just peel them off.

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
RickB said:
If you're not sure you like them, then ordering the car without them won't help. If you don't like the way they look, you can just peel them off.
Then you would have wasted your $120

·
Registered
783 Posts
No, you would not have wasted $120. If you first decided you didn't like them and ordered them anyway, that would be a waste.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey, SBG, where on the list are you at your dealers?
If you are below #30 odds are you will see enough of them to get an idea... I'm sure you'll figure it out at the car show.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just shy from the top of the list. :D

I used to work at the dealership (as a detailer), and that indeed helps, too.

BTW, I don't think the decals are that easy to peel off. They're not just your typical slap-on sticker. They're designed to withstand the elements, among other things, so I believe they would be heavy-duty.

(The older Pontiac Firebirds used to have a huge decal of a bird/eagle on their hoods, and they were durable as far as I remember).

·
Registered
930 Posts
Are they dealer-installed? I don't care for them myself although the NAIAS silver car with the stripes looked phhhattt :D. But if you get them with the Sports package you could also just tell them to hold them until you're sure if you like them or not.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe they come from the factory, if opted for.

I'm hoping the dealer CAN install them if necessary.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Click the thumbnails to see a few from MiniMoke's gallery:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I imagine it would be hard to notice the black outline of the white stripes, on a red Mini....

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
S2000&CooperS said:
Click the thumbnails to see a few from MiniMoke's gallery:
Sorry this is a little off topic, but I wanted to thank S2000&CooperS for figuring out how to do thumbnails with the vbulletin forum. This is the first I've seen of this - well done! :) (now I can copy how to do it) :D

On the subject of stripes, I sure hope my Cooper S (if I get a pre-spec one) doesn't have them. To me, white stripes look almost okay on dark color (BRG, red or Indi Blue) if they are spaced wider apart (see Saffy's car in her gallery), but other car color and stripe combinations look bad, in my opinion, especially with the contrasting stripe borders.

If stripes come on my S, I'll be out there with a hair dryer heating them up and peeling them off as soon as I can.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Beautiful....sexy......savvy..........STRIPES !!!

Hah !!!......

I LOVE em !!!........ Black if I go for Pure Silver (Current preference)
......or White if I go for Dark Silver (Coz I can't get a white roof/mirrors with the Pure Silver)......

Love em I do........Wonderful Stripes.........WoooHoooo!!!!

:D

Ps. Trying to find a smilie with it's tongue sticking out for Bruce............he he he

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
SomeBlondeGuy said:
That is the question.

The hood stripes are a $120 (Cdn) option and are decals, not paint.

I've seen pics of Cooper S' with the stripes and IMO it looks kind of cluttered. (I know many of the original Minis had hood stripes, and it's retro...).

I think I'll pass on the decals for now, and after I get my car, if I decide I like them, I should be able to get them added to my hood.

What are your opinions of the way the decals (stripes) look?

http://www.mini2.com/images/gallery/spy/cooper.jpg

Well, in that picture the front of the stripes are too close together and form the appearance of a V. On the Cooper S they start in the middle of the fresh air intakes and finish wider at the grill, which to my eyes is an improvement over the Cooper. On the other hand this graphic is the best i've seen of how they should look.........BruceK, you might them like this ?:)

Attachments

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Re: Re: With or without hood stripes?

Basil said:
...On the other hand this graphic is the best i've seen of how they should look.........BruceK, you might them like this ?:)
I've liked the wider stripes for some time. I crudely manipulated this picture last summer to show why I thought the wider spacing of stripes would look better:

Then Saffy went and had it actually done!

To me, this spacing looks much better then the "official" spacing.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: Re: With or without hood stripes?

BruceK said:

I've liked the wider stripes for some time. I crudely manipulated this picture last summer to show why I thought the wider spacing of stripes would look better:

Then Saffy went and had it actually done!

It looks good Bruce, and I know that photo's don't do them justice...... This shot does show how different the stripes on the S look.... I may have to go with DS now.....do like the white roof & mirrors.......

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts