MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody.

My wife recently passed her test and we've just got a 2002 Cooper, 84,0000 miles with the CVT as her first car.

Messing about with it the other day, i noticed that the Shift positions weren't displaying on the Dash. P, N, R, D. When i put it into Drive, it came up SD with the M/S lights on. I pushed the stick over to the right and it displayed 1. It drives in manual mode no problem and shifts up and down the gears. But, it won't shift back out of manual to automatic. If i turn the car off, then when i put it in drive, it will go back to SD but still with M/S lit up.

I'm wondering, is there an electrical contact of sorts that's not registering the left movements that i want to shift from manual to SD, and SD to D?

It seems that once it's UP, it won't come down. lol

Magically though, the problem went away yesterday morning when i moved it for her. Now the dash displays P, R, N, and most importantly D and now the M/S light is off. I haven't tried moving it from D to SD or manual though just in case i get stuck with the same problem again. Of course there's no such thing as magic and i suspect that there's something that requires attention.

I myself have a Range Rover P38 so i'm used to things going wrong, lol, and have fixed many a problem. I had a similar sort of issue whereby my transmission wasn't registering Neutral and subsequently wouldn't allow me to transfer over into the low range box. It turned out to be a faulty X,Y,Z switch on the side of the gearbox that wasn't making the contact inside. Is it a similar thing on the Mini's?

I hope I've explained the problem well enough and would be very grateful if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same thing going on with my 2005, except it doesn't display P, N, R, or D, only SD, and the M/S light stays on. It's stuck in Sport mode, and I don't know what to do about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts