MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new Pepper Cooper on 2nd March and while I am generally happy with it, the steering feels nothing like the Chilli and Pepper I test drove and is rather disappointing. My test cars both had very direct steering, any slight turn on the wheel was accompanied by an instant change in direction. This actually made keeping the car in a straight line something one had to concentrate on. My Mini has what I can only describe as "woolly" steering, still good but nothing like as direct as the others. The plus side is that it is much easier to keep in a straight line.

Has anyone else found this in their cars? I would be grateful for any ideas as to what the problem could be. I was wondering if BMW have changed something to counter the criticisms of the steering being TOO direct. It is definitely not the tyre pressures, I checked the cars I test drove, they were all spot on, as is my car.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Congrats on your new Mini. If it is a week 9 build, you wil have the new designed front suspension setup. This will be different from the demos that you have tried. The wooliness might be due to this change, or it could just be your car that has not been setup correctly.

We need some input from another week 9, or newer, MINI owner to check this out.

Does it drift to the left on neutral camber surfaces, ie when driven up the centre of the road? Please say NO!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My MINI was built in mid Feb, so I guess that makes it week 6 so pre steering “mod”. I presume the mod you refer to is to correct the pulling to the left? (Mine is fine in this respect) The change in my car is very noticeable, and if it turns out there has been a change of design, I find it amazing that a change to correct one problem would alter the steering so drastically.

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
howieb said:
I got my new Pepper Cooper on 2nd March and while I am generally happy with it, the steering feels nothing like the Chilli and Pepper I test drove and is rather disappointing. My test cars both had very direct steering, any slight turn on the wheel was accompanied by an instant change in direction. This actually made keeping the car in a straight line something one had to concentrate on. My Mini has what I can only describe as "woolly" steering, still good but nothing like as direct as the others. The plus side is that it is much easier to keep in a straight line.

Has anyone else found this in their cars? I would be grateful for any ideas as to what the problem could be. I was wondering if BMW have changed something to counter the criticisms of the steering being TOO direct. It is definitely not the tyre pressures, I checked the cars I test drove, they were all spot on, as is my car.
If your sure it's not tyre pressures I'd have the toe-in and camber checked - 1/4 degree will make a huge difference - I don't know what normal tolerances are for this but it's possible yours is on the limit in the wrong direction so to speak - Whats the straight line stability like compared to the test cars ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Woolly steering?

Racer said:

If your sure it's not tyre pressures I'd have the toe-in and camber checked - 1/4 degree will make a huge difference - I don't know what normal tolerances are for this but it's possible yours is on the limit in the wrong direction so to speak - Whats the straight line stability like compared to the test cars ?
Stability in terms of keeping a straight line with no cross winds seems a lot better, it requires much less concentration to keep it going straight. However this is because of the "vagueness" of the steering. You move the wheel back and forth a bit, and nothing much seems to happen in terms of direction but it does seem to lurch/roll a bit which it certainly never did on the other cars, it's almost as if the left the anti-roll bar off!

Can't say much about stability with cross winds, both seem fine.

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Woolly steering?

howieb said:

Stability in terms of keeping a straight line with no cross winds seems a lot better, it requires much less concentration to keep it going straight. However this is because of the "vagueness" of the steering. You move the wheel back and forth a bit, and nothing much seems to happen in terms of direction but it does seem to lurch/roll a bit which it certainly never did on the other cars, it's almost as if the left the anti-roll bar off!

Can't say much about stability with cross winds, both seem fine.
If straight line stability is imporved and turn in is worse then I would be pretty sure it's a geometry thing - I'd have your dealer check against the tolerances and see where it sits - Garfield has driven a car with additional toe-in by 1/4 degree you might ask him how big a difference it made to turn - in if it is substantial then you may find 1/4 in other direction also is!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, food for thought. Thanks for the feedback. It's going back to the dealer to be looked at so I'll mention these points

1 - 7 of 7 Posts