MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Anyone any ideas how much the conversion is going to be for the S???
How long it would take to convert??
What MPG?
What insurance group??

Taking it into serious consideration - need to know some answers

Happy new year!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Price? Probably not dissimilar to the upgrade from Cooper to Works - I might be talking out of my bottom, but I'd guess at a new exhaust system, chip plus programming and supercharger belt. not going to be less than £1500, maybe as much as £3000 if a new head is involved.

We don't really know what insurance group the S will be - somewhere between 11 and 15 I'd guess. Although the Works won't be any more expensive to fix, or more easy to steal, or less safe in a crash, if you're _lucky_ they'll add 4 or 5 to the rating. If unlucky, they'll just class it as a modified vehicle and make up the premuim based on capricious whim - and I know from my modified Mini just how much that can hurt the wallet!

MPG is reasonably poor for the S to begin with - but then you won't be buying a Works S to commute or thrash up and down the motorways, will you?

Given the power to weight ratio of the S, I wonder if the Works S is really required. If they load it with other toys, like a LSD, then it miht be more interesting, but I suspect that the S is car enough for the vast majority of us.

Certainly the cost of the Works over the Cooper isn't worth it when you consider the price of a Cooper S - it's only selling because the S isn't available yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

I think we will get it and see how it behaves and then consider it as an option later if it makes the difference that they have proposed it will!

Cheers

·
Registered
343 Posts
Not much to add to that really. I was told that the upgrade would be around the same as the Cooper Works. I read somewhere they had managed 208BHP on a dyno test.

I cant wait to get my hands on mine ( 3rd on the list for the Cooper S Works )

Cheers

Michael

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
MichaelK said:
Not much to add to that really. I was told that the upgrade would be around the same as the Cooper Works. I read somewhere they had managed 208BHP on a dyno test.

I cant wait to get my hands on mine ( 3rd on the list for the Cooper S Works )

Cheers

Michael
Strewth!

Estimates as to 0-60 time anyone?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
rich said:

Strewth!

Estimates as to 0-60 time anyone?
Very low 6's? I'm going to guess 6.2 seconds. We'll have
to revisit this months from now to see how close I got. :)

You don't think it will break into the 5's do you? And if it is 208hp, what will the torque be?

·
Registered
6 Posts
BruceK said:

You don't think it will break into the 5's do you? And if it is 208hp, what will the torque be?
if you were producing 208 hp and the peak hp was still being produced at or around 6000 rpm's, then you would be looking at approximately 182 lb-ft of torque.

·
Registered
343 Posts
0-60 and power of Works S

The 208BHP was only a Dyno test though, I would guess in reality it would be nearer the 200BHP mark. Mind you I've heard varying rumours all over the place about power output from 190BHP up to 220BHP, I guess we will just have to wait and see.:rolleyes:

If you look at cars of a comparible weight and power, I would guess 0-60 should be in the very late 5's.

Cheers

Michael

·
Registered
632 Posts
BruceK said:

And (sorry!) how long will the engine last and with what kind of guarantee from BMW?

·
Registered
343 Posts
All the JCG "Works" cars are fully approved by BMW, so the warranty is not affected. There still seems to be some confusion on the TLC front though.

Michael

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
If you buy a car with TLC and take it to John Cooper Works to be converted you still have the TLC package.

If you order a car direct from John Cooper Works, you can't have the TLC package.

Its as simple as that!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Has this been confirmed by JCG ?

It seems some what strange to me that if you buy a car from a BMW garage, then get it converted you keep the TLC package. Yet if you buy a cooper from JCG which is obviously sourced from a BMW garage to begin with, you don't get the TLC package :confused:

Michael

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I went to JCW's and test drove a conversion, I specifically asked about the TLC package (as I have it for my Cooper) and that is what I am told.

Perhaps it is BMW's way of not giving John Cooper Garages much business

1 - 13 of 13 Posts