MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both the Works and Superchips have about 130PS. But the Works is 2408£! and the superchips is only 165£. And if you also buy a sports exhaust and airfilter the power would almost be 140PS on the superchips! So what i would like to see is a head to head test between these two tuning options, has it been done?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My first post ~ joined today!

Where can you get an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust from? BMW say they don't expect to get any in for at least 4 months. There must be someone out there doing them now.

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
Well I'm up for a race in my Works but I don't know anyone who's actually got a chipped car.

Also BTW guys the 131PS the Works has is only for the closed induction system. You get more with the open one but no figures for the open version. I've driven both and the open is definitely faster above 4000rpm.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Ginge said:
Also BTW guys the 131PS the Works has is only for the closed induction system. You get more with the open one but no figures for the open version. I've driven both and the open is definitely faster above 4000rpm.
I was told by JCW that the only difference was the noise and there is no performance gain from the open induction kit.

·
4,636 Posts
That's not what it says in the brochure and I would say it was impossible for a closed and open induction system to perform identically to each other.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Open Air Filter

I ordered a JC Works Cooper just over a week ago with the Open Air Filter. They said it might add a "few bhp" but that it was mostly psychological in that the sound of the engine is so much better!

Warranty but no TLC as ordered direct from JCW.

Looking forward to taking a day off to collect it next year...

Flowki

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I'm interested in the works conversion over the chip because of the warranty issues (and the noise!!), but I'm unsure about the power figures quoted.... are there any graphs around showing the difference between before and after? surely the conversion pushes more than 132bhp... what about torque difference?

Cheers,

Dom

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
If coopers are normally pushing out 124bhp, it seems a lot for just 8bhp...

although obviously this is just on paper, do you notice much difference between your works and a standard cooper?

What's 162Nm in lb/ft? might be easier to make a comparison... the old saying "torque turns the wheels, bhp sells the car" comes into mind here!

Cheers,

Dom

·
4,636 Posts
No official figures are 115 for the Cooper and 131 for the Works. As far as I'm aware these figures are both from Germany so you don't need to take into account BMW's high testing facility.

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
That's what I was hoping! Cheers ginge!

That's another works conversion sold then... just need some funds

Dom

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Ginge said:
No official figures are 115 for the Cooper and 131 for the Works. As far as I'm aware these figures are both from Germany so you don't need to take into account BMW's high testing facility.
Ginge, you know much more about this then almost anyone - has a Works Cooper been taken to Germany for evaluation? We know the 115 hp is from Germany, but isn't the Works number from JCW in Sussex (near sea level)?

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I expect BMW may have specified that the works was to be tested in Germany on their rollers for consistency and to see for themselves what it pushes out alongside a standard cooper. Well, I know what I mean anyway!

And yes, Ginge should be on commission...

Dom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts