MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone has seen the write up on the John Cooper Works. It was in both Autocar & Auto Express. It was a Silver/black car wearing the bodykit & 17 inch alloys worth £1500. The car has a new sports exhaust, badges & re-routed ECU, & changes to the cylinder head. The works conversion has some 132BHP and cost an extra of £2500 :eek:
The car is supposed to be superb, so come on folks, how many of you are going to get the conversion:confused:
I wonder if it possible to get more power out of a MINI ONE :confused:
Get the Superchip, the works filter & exhaust :D :D :D
You could have your very own works MINI for less than half the price of the conversion:D :D :cool:

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers monsta, I thought Id seen the topice somewhere:eek:
It's still very early in the morning for me:D :D :D

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
been in works cooper No2 today but no shots yet until its run in.
started it up sounds wicked.
BUT did you know that if you get the conversion you lose your TLC so £2500 plus sevice costs and the warranty is still to be verified if BMW will honour it after conversion
Cooper's' is sounding better by the minute.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
your own dealer can supply and fit the kit and also service it.But because you lose your TLC this will be costly.
I don't know as yet how the warranty works but I spoke to someone who thought that it just effects the engine warranty.WELL WORTH FINDING OUT ABOUT BEFORE BLOWING YOUR CASH.The exhaust is just a new back box which sounds wicked so I phoned Coopers to buy the box but its the full kit or nothing.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Well, someone has to say this:

More power + full warranty = Cooper S :D

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
JCW worked very closely with BMW to develop the works, and as far as I know it comes with their full blessing. So to hear that should you take that avenue, not only will your warranty be invalidated, but also your TLC, sounds very strange indeed.

As far as I know getting a works conversion has no affect whatsoever on the warranty of your car. I would have assumed the same applied to TLC.

LMB:confused:

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I was also under the impression that the warranty would not be invalidated and therefore neither would TLC

·
Registered
573 Posts
Come on people, sort it out and get an S instead.

£2500 for a bit of a sporty kit, 15-16 more horsepower, sounds good now, but when you pull up next to an S at the lights, you'll be wishing you saved up a bit longer to put the extra cash on one!

But, at the end of the day, It's still a stonkin classy MINI!

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
Warranty valid. TLC no. There's your answer.

Would have got an S but would have exploded having to wait that long as I ordered my car 12 months ago (as most of you know anyway).

Anyway you can always get a better car the longer you wait.

If you waited a bit longer you could get the S works. If you waited longer you could get the cabrio. If you waited long enough you could get the revamped MINI.

See what I'm saying. At some point you have to say I'm gonna get this otherwise you'll be waiting forever.

By the time most of you guys get an S I'll have had 6+ months of pleasure in my Works!

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
monsta said:
P.S. Who says we're not trading our Coopers in for S's anyway??
Do you think if I converted my Mini to a works now, I would get the money back should I trade my car in for an 'S' late next year?

Adding the works conversion will bring the price of my car to £17,000..that's easy enough to get a Cooper 'S'. I am wondereing whether I would loose more or less money by getting a works conversion.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me their thoughts on the matter:)

LMB:D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
LMB said:

Do you think if I converted my Mini to a works now, I would get the money back should I trade my car in for an 'S' late next year?

Adding the works conversion will bring the price of my car to £17,000..that's easy enough to get a Cooper 'S'. I am wondereing whether I would loose more or less money by getting a works conversion.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me their thoughts on the matter:)

Doing some rough sums, the Works Cooper would be more expensive than the cooper S in oz which is AUD$39,990.00 + on-road costs and options)....... I digress......
If your going to get an "S" anyway, don't waste money on the Works conversion. No reason to think the added value of the conversion isn't going to depreciate just like the rest of the car.

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
Good point Monsta.

As for the Works being worth more that is almost definitely true.

The old works Coopers are worth about £1000 more than a standard Cooper and JCW's reckon that the same will be true for the new one.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Having now driven a works cooper I think you could buy a lot of Smarties for £2500 so its of to the sweet shop I go.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
zoooooom said:
Having now driven a works cooper I think you could buy a lot of Smarties for £2500 so its of to the sweet shop I go.
Not impressed then..no??

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
In fairness to the works cooper I drove it did not have a lot of miles on it,my cooper has done 4000 miles and feels much better more responsive and just allround better.But the works car has quite a nice exhaust note.
Nice badges & exhaust but thats it for me.
Maybe with a few thousand miles on it it might be a different car,I hope so.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts