MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to the forum having hijacked my other halfs login

Am considering swapping my remapped S3 for a Mini Gp...obviously i am looking at an entirely different car with excellant handling characteristics etc

This aside i have a query on the power of these cars, does anyone have any info on 1/4 mile times or any other performance related proven stats... i would ideally like to maintain the power that i have now, my current car is running 14sec 1/4 mile times at the moment.

thanks in advance

Tim

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Tim, there is a video on Youtube of a GP doing the 1/4 mile in 15 secs on stock tyres. Main problem seems to be getting the power down off the line. Am I correct in thinking the S3 is 4 wheel drive?

Ed

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Hi,

I am new to the forum having hijacked my other halfs login

Am considering swapping my remapped S3 for a Mini Gp...obviously i am looking at an entirely different car with excellant handling characteristics etc

This aside i have a query on the power of these cars, does anyone have any info on 1/4 mile times or any other performance related proven stats... i would ideally like to maintain the power that i have now, my current car is running 14sec 1/4 mile times at the moment.

thanks in advance

Tim

Your S3 will have the edge on the GP on the strip. But on a track a standard GP would run rings round your remapped S3.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your S3 will have the edge on the GP on the strip. But on a track a standard GP would run rings round your remapped S3.
yeah i gathered this would be the case, the S3 is a barge

Hi Tim, there is a video on Youtube of a GP doing the 1/4 mile in 15 secs on stock tyres. Main problem seems to be getting the power down off the line. Am I correct in thinking the S3 is 4 wheel drive?

Ed

Thanks Ed, yes the S3 is 4wd, although its 2wd until the front wheels slip..... it also bogs down massively off the line.....

My intention isnt for drag racing etc, im just using this measure to ascertain the overall performance as a recent 'run in' with a cooper S saw me completely ruin him.... im wanting a bit of everything but still enjoy the torque pull that i have now and would like similar in the next car....M3 is on the list also, again a totally different car to the Mini and S3

Tim

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
As Im sure your aware the GP and MCS are quite different and the GP would put in a much better showing. In terms of 0-60 the S3 and GP are quoted as the same times I believe so would be evenly matched but as has been stated already the GP would fly round the twisties! :) Although your probably not that interested in fuel consumption if you have the 3.2 V6 S3 then the GP would better it in like for like driving I would have thought - my JCW (not GP but with GP Intercooler) runs about 32 - 35mpg as a guide and when I was looking at going into an S3 a little wile ago the dealer told me I would be lucky to achieve about 25mpg so changed my mind although you probably know more about that than I.

Happy choosing! :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As Im sure your aware the GP and MCS are quite different and the GP would put in a much better showing. In terms of 0-60 the S3 and GP are quoted as the same times I believe so would be evenly matched but as has been stated already the GP would fly round the twisties! :) Although your probably not that interested in fuel consumption if you have the 3.2 V6 S3 then the GP would better it in like for like driving I would have thought - my JCW (not GP but with GP Intercooler) runs about 32 - 35mpg as a guide and when I was looking at going into an S3 a little wile ago the dealer told me I would be lucky to achieve about 25mpg so changed my mind although you probably know more about that than I.

Happy choosing! :)

Thanks Keano, the more insight i can get the better.... so what are the upgrade options for a GP, mapping, supercharger wheels etc...has this already been done to death from sale or are they open to slight tweeking (nothing major) - all i have done to mine is map it, although i didnt want to do that, a drive in a friends mapped S3 was a massive pursuation - turbo = lots of cheap extra power for less bucks (and easy to put back to standard so as not to own a chav chariot)

The S3 is a 1.8Turbo like the other 1.8T's, just with a bigger turbo unit...your not the first to make that mistake:biggrin: although when i was running it on standard 225bhp it fetched 25mpg driving steady in traffic, now its mapped to 270ish it actually does around the 27's in the same driving conditions. :D

Tim

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
There are alot of options on how to tune the mini - smaller supercharger pulley, exhaust, manifold, sports cat, intercooler etc - but with the GP my opinion is not to alter it really.

The GP already has modified: cylinder head, exhaust, intercooler, supercharger pulley, injectors, ECU, spark plugs, air intake in terms of the engine changes so I wouldnt bother changing any of those - although some would say that these could be improved upon but I would say that as these have already been upgraded c.f a MCS I would only change other things if at all, perhaps a new manifold and sports cat?

I assumed the S3 had the V6 - although having said that the new S3 has a 2.0 T... I would think that the GP would need quite a bit of work to be reaching 270bhp although if it had that power it would fly!!! :)

27mpg ave is probably pretty close to what the GP would get I recon - my figures are perhaps slightly better than the GP because of the roads I drive.

Have a go in a GP - there are quite a few around at the moment - you will love the noise !! For a taster try these clips (this is the JCW rather than JCW GP but you get the idea):

MINI - John Cooper Works Tuning - Tuning Kit Before 11/06

There should be two clips if ive got the link right :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks again Keano.... im not looking for 270 as the real wheel figure is well below the 200 on the S3 due to massive losses in the transmission..... they have never been V6 though, you may be thinking of the old S2, unsure what that was?

will check the clips out later when i get home, appreciate your help on this, id gathered they would be pretty much a done deal in terms of performance.... theres always that little bit you can pull out and without a turbo, the modifications are always going to be more expensive.

I am after a drivers car though which is why the GP and the M3 are on my list to check out....

Tim

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
the modifications are always going to be more expensive.

I am after a drivers car though which is why the GP and the M3 are on my list to check out....

Tim
Cheapest bang for buck would be a reduced pulley at about £300 fully fitted - the GP has an 11% reduction - with 15, 16, 17 and 19% pulleys available (plenty of threads about the different sizes on here). But as mentioned the GP already has a reduced pulley and as they are awkward to get off I wouldnt bother.

The GP and M3 are quite different cars - interesting that you are considering both though... will be interesting to see which you get... :)

Cheers.

(I love the GP - get it!!! :biggrin: )

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheapest bang for buck would be a reduced pulley at about £300 fully fitted - the GP has an 11% reduction - with 15, 16, 17 and 19% pulleys available (plenty of threads about the different sizes on here). But as mentioned the GP already has a reduced pulley and as they are awkward to get off I wouldnt bother.

The GP and M3 are quite different cars - interesting that you are considering both though... will be interesting to see which you get... :)

Cheers.

(I love the GP - get it!!! :biggrin: )

will have a look around at the pulley threads, but what you have said, the car is pretty much there already.....

yeah its gonna come down to the drive, i dont have any real need for the rear seats and still need to drive both..... the sound and pull of the V6 in the M3 is what does it for me, like a bag of spanners being thrown around....the GP has the little fast go kart appeal and seems a little more cult.... went to the mini dealer today for some bits for the misus ONE and had a look around a new Works.... OMG they look amazing, although ive read in a few places that they have more trouble putting power down than the superchargers with loads of oversteer....cant decide whether i like the R56 over the R53

Tim

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats my intention now Mick,.... will update on how i get on....thanks to everyone for the advice, makes it so much easier when picking a new car by visiting the forums before hand

Tim

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
As I understand it the M3 is a straight six unless its a brand new one then it is a V8!?

Good noises either way (not as good as the SC whine though :) )

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keano, go on utube and put in 'supercharged' 'm3'

I can't put a smily up that big on this thread....costs a fortune though but to swap into an 02 plate M3 would have totally different cost implications than the GP leaving some residual cash hehe

Tim

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ran a 14.60 in my GP at the weekend, with 8 runs consistently under 15 seconds.
Only 'upgrade' is non runflat tyres to get a little more grip.

Creamed a couple of E36 M3's but dont think the GP stands much chance against an E46 which probably runs 14 flat? An E92 ran 12.77 whilst i was watching.

Tuning is pretty easy on any mini. Much cheaper than tuning the M3 too. For less than £1500, you can get 250-260hp at the fly and be running just under 14 secs for 1/4. However the GP is much more than a 1/4 mile car - a twisty track is it's home - will murder standard M3's for fun and handling (CSL excepted). I've had both.

Flinty

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Keano, go on utube and put in 'supercharged' 'm3'

I can't put a smily up that big on this thread....costs a fortune though but to swap into an 02 plate M3 would have totally different cost implications than the GP leaving some residual cash hehe

Tim

Didnt realise people did that to M3's - superb! Would stil get a GP though - maybe Im biased :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats weird flinty, my mapped S3 runs in the low 14's with no other mods...the M3 is a quicker car than mine and on a dry track should be doing 13's at least......given the info ive seen on them on the Audi forum i use - did you track your M3? - i understand what your saying about the mini being a track car..... part of the appeal of the M3 is the tail happyness of it, although have to say the BM's have really boring interiors

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gp / M3 / S3

Tracked the CSL twice, at Brands and Snetterton. It ran anywhere between 12.99 and 13.3 1/4 at Santa Pod.

The CSL is fantastically quick, certainly quicker than standard M3 on track and 1/4 mile, and also S3 (new shape). More on a par with 997S. No comparison really in terms of speed with GP - different ball park.

But in terms of handling and pure fun, the GP keeps me grinning - highly recommended.

Also, you mentioned interior. I agree with you re standard bmw. Interior a bit dull compared to Audi S, but the all round driving experience is soooo much better in a BMW imo.

PS my other half runs a mildly tuned TT with the 225 engine. DMS remap gives about 255bhp and a real kick when turbo spins hard and its deffo quicker than the GP currently. Having said that, i'd much rather run the GP on track. It would spank the TT everywhere except pure straightline acceleration.

Good luck whatever you decide. If you have the cash, join the Q for a good CSL......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts