MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be upgrading my MCS works to the 210 kit quite soon and have an insurance question.

I assume that it will be necessary to report it to my insurance company? Has everyone else who upgraded done the same?

I shouldn't really worry, my MINI insurance is £400 less than my previous car! but I'm still dreading an annoying hike for the extra 10 ponies!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I've booked it in for December, just wondering whether I need to tell the insurers at all.

after all it is the same car, and if it was written off then it would be replaced with a JCWorks (which is 210bhp)

What does everyone else think? anyone else declared the upgrade?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Policy coverage differs in the U.S. and Europe, but one thing is the same: if we add an expensive upgrade/mod to our MINI and fail to inform the insurance company, it probably won't be covered in case of a loss.

The JCW upgrade costs about $6,500 U.S., I'd definitely declare it. Chances are your insurer will jack rates up due to the power increase, though, but at least you'll have coverage!

One good way to minimize your premium increase is to increase your deductibles. I carry a $2,500 deductible, it saved hundreds of bucks over the $250 ded. I don't wreck cars, so it's a good risk for me to take.

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
vagt6 said:
Policy coverage differs in the U.S. and Europe, but one thing is the same: if we add an expensive upgrade/mod to our MINI and fail to inform the insurance company, it probably won't be covered in case of a loss.

The JCW upgrade costs about $6,500 U.S., I'd definitely declare it. Chances are your insurer will jack rates up due to the power increase, though, but at least you'll have coverage!

One good way to minimize your premium increase is to increase your deductibles. I carry a $2,500 deductible, it saved hundreds of bucks over the $250 ded. I don't wreck cars, so it's a good risk for me to take.
Different issue Vagt6 - they are just talking about the upgrade from an old Works to a new Works - the airbox upgrade.

Yes, you should tell your insurer. Must get round to doing so myslef. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Told mine yesterday - no extra premium or hassle - plenty of piece of mind. Plus Raify, your insurance would actually be null and void in their eyes as you have changed the spec of the car you had insured.

Tony - tsk tsk :D (i forgot for a week though ;))

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Told my insurer the other day, and didn't get away scott free!

Excess is increased £150 to £400

Premium goes up £60.

Oh well, still cheaper than the breadvan!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts