MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to warn everyone out there
NOT TO GO TO LONG BEACH MINI!!!

I bought a Cooper S from long beach mini last year and went back on October 18, 2004 for the following:
1) oil service
2) front license plate bracket installation
3) inspection of the passenger window because it sometimes didn’t roll down when using the convenience feature on the remote control (also when that happened, the power window switch inside the car wouldn’t work either – sometimes for days)
4) alarm installation

Here's my experience at the service department:

1. I had been told and had expected for the job to take half a day at the most. Instead I had to wait 2 weeks because of problems with the alarm. They had me come in twice to pick up the car and the alarm malfunctioned both times when I asked for a demo.
2. I was told that my one year-old car which I always keep garaged had corroded wires and that was why the alarm wasn't working. (The "service advisor" didn't know what she was talking about. It clearly said on the job summary that the corroded connection was at the alarm siren.)
3. The technician who worked on my car the day I brought it in was “too swamped” to even look at my car the following day and to try to finish the job.
4. I had to call the service advisor to find out that my car was ready to be picked up. I always got the "it's been ready response." If it's been ready, why didn't thay call me?
5. The service advisor (STEPHANIE HURSTROM), assistant service manager (only introduced himself as "GK"), and owner/general manager (RYAN AUTRY) were very poor at returning calls. The latter two never did.
6. After putting $600 into an alarm system, no one was there to demonstrate its features to me until I asked for one. The service advisor herself was unsure of and unfamiliar with the features. First she insisted that all that information was in my owner's manual. Only when I actually showed her that it wasn't there did she believe me. She sent me home with a BMW accessories catalog, saying that they were the same. The first time that they had me pick up the car, she said that it should beep whenever the car was locked by remote and that it didn't have an interior motion sensor. The second time that they had me pick up the car, she said that it wasn't supposed to beep and that it did have the motion sensor. When she first saw the blinking red light at the tip of the wiper switch, she asked if I had it installed somewhere else. I had to educate her that it was part of the alarm system.
7. I left the dealership with no assurance that the alarm was working as it should. (e.g. should it beep or not?)
8. The problem with the passenger window still persists and wasn’t addressed since they were too preoccupied with the alarm.
9. The technicians showed lack of respect for personal property when they arbitrarily drilled the holes to install the front license plate bracket. They didn't follow the pre-marked indentations where the holes were supposed to go. The right side was drilled 1 inch below the mark so that the bracket was installed with a cant. I had to drill another hole in the right spot and reinstall the bracket when I got home.
10. My repeated requests for removing the alarm (since they couldn't get it to work) and a refund were disregarded.
11. To top everything off, on the last day as I was talking to STEPHANIE, she answered a call and reassured the caller that because of all the inconveniences that had transpired, she would give him a discount on the cost of the repair on his vehicle. I just wonder how much more inconveniences I should have needed to endure to be offered a discount as that caller was.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to warn everyone out there
NOT TO GO TO LONG BEACH MINI!!!

·
a.k.a Handsome Rob
2,955 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I too have bought my MCS from Long Beach. I have had troubles with them and two other dealers. My friends have had trouble at various dealers too. It's not an uncommon thing unfortunately. However, two months ago I rose such a huge stink on this site that MINI USA tracked me down and they flew out a tech rep from the factory to resolve some issues. I have them on speed dial now. I can say things are supposed to be changing soon. They are revamping MINI service departments due to evolution and customer complaints. My suggestion is call MINI USA and start a fire storm. Also call up LB and go to the top. As far as the alarm goes I have it. It is supposed to beep once when locked, twice unlock and does have a motion sensor, and tilt sensor. I hope this helps. I see that you are new and welcome. If you ever want to chat with great people go to the "Never ending owners thread aka new owners thread" in the general discussion. Its kind of a little group mostly of CA owners and we get together once in awhile. It's seams "clickish" at first but it is not and we welcome everyone. Good luck
Tavis1 :red:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info

thanks for all the useful info. i have an 03 mcs and i've found out from a posting at a different site (roadfly.com) that it may actually be normal for it to not beep while arming and to only do so when i try to arm it and either a door or the boot isn't closed. well at least i hope it's normal.

i've written to miniusa.com and also to the owner of LB MINI - RYAN AUTRY. UNFORTUNATELY, HE'S THE SAME GUY WHO'S SUPPOSEDLY THE GENERAL MANAGER WHO WOULDN'T RETURN MY CALLS when i called him while they were still trying to install the alarm. let's see if he replies this time.

·
a.k.a Handsome Rob
2,955 Posts
bwtchd said:
thanks for all the useful info. i have an 03 mcs and i've found out from a posting at a different site (roadfly.com) that it may actually be normal for it to not beep while arming and to only do so when i try to arm it and either a door or the boot isn't closed. well at least i hope it's normal.

i've written to miniusa.com and also to the owner of LB MINI - RYAN AUTRY. UNFORTUNATELY, HE'S THE SAME GUY WHO'S SUPPOSEDLY THE GENERAL MANAGER WHO WOULDN'T RETURN MY CALLS when i called him while they were still trying to install the alarm. let's see if he replies this time.
OK. I thought you had an 04. Your 03 won't beep. It started with the 04 year. Not to be A-hole but, you have to talk to people in person/ over the phone. Bryan Autry has to have a boss. I would go to him.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Nope no dealership troubles here... I was SCARED I was going to have troubles... but I worried for no reason... Anthony at Long Beach MINI took awesome care of me... got everything I asked him to do done...

I have to report... I got great service at Long Beach MINI this time...

Heres what I asked to get done...

1.) 10K miles service
2.) Recall 04E-A01 and 04E-A03 the Crankcase Breather Line, and Emissions software update...
3.) V39.x software update.
4.) Replace old Cowl Vents on hood, under the wiper blades mine were the old foam type now its the new all plastic ones :)
5.) Fix Loose Tweeter on passenger side thats loose and keeps popping out
6.) Make sure all my personal setting are still intact like Follow me home lights, comfort openning, Selective unlocking, Auto Lock @12mph, no auto unlock with ignition off...

And they did basically everything... no problems... ask once and it was all done by the time I went back to pick up the car after work. They even dropped me off to work in a X5 in the morning.

Stuff 1 to 6 was all done... with the exception of number 4. they had to special order a new part to be replaced... and thats fine... and mean while they did get the tweeter cover back on securly where it isnt all loose... I wasnt able to do that myself...

I have to say Anthony is great... everything I've worked with him I havent had any problems... the only time where I did run into things that didnt get done was when I had a different service advisor...

OH YA!! I got half of tank of gas out of it too.. I went in with only half full and came out full... Dang.. should have ran it dry then go in for service! LOL :p

·
Ducati Corse
125 Posts
Brought my car in last Tuesday for Emissions recall service, tire rotation, oil change, and JCW 05 Retrofit Upgrade.

Tony was my advisor. Received complimentary BMW 325i loaner vehicle. MINI was washed and I was on a quarter tank when I dropped the car off. Drove away with a full tank. Don't know if it is a new thing at LB, but I did not notice the full tank of gas on previous service visits.

No problems, no hassles, and great service from the folks at LB MINI.

·
Ducati Corse
125 Posts
EBMCS03 said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: LUCKY Punk! :D Congrats! :D

EBMCS03,

I think I saw your car at the LB Poker Rally...

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
2BlueMCSMRdstr said:
EBMCS03,

You think?? hahaha whys that? not sure eh? :p

You were there there?? Why didnt you say so!!!!!!!! A lot of MINI2 members were there and we all hung out and chatted for a while... Tavis, SKatemom, Craftnurd, Barnabas, Couple others... DOH!

·
a.k.a Handsome Rob
2,955 Posts
2BlueMCSMRdstr said:
EBMCS03,

I know I saw you there. Now that I see your signature I knew you looked familiar. while we were waiting at the parking garage you were in between me and EBMCS. I was the only CR/W MCS with boot stripes like this:

Attachments

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Really... you should have pointed him out Tavis! oh wells... we should set up a Meet... Whens the So Cal Meet? Feb?

·
Ducati Corse
125 Posts
tavis1 said:
I know I saw you there. Now that I see your signature I knew you looked familiar. while we were waiting at the parking garage you were in between me and EBMCS. I was the only CR/W MCS with boot stripes like this:
Tavis1,

I saw your car and recognized it by the Mini2.com sticker. I actually pointed out your car to my sister since she really wants to put boot stripes on her BRG MCS. I recognized a few other cars that I've seen floating around the 'net. Didn't see anyone around your car or I would have introduced myself...

·
Ducati Corse
125 Posts
EBMCS03 said:
Really... you should have pointed him out Tavis! oh wells... we should set up a Meet... Whens the So Cal Meet? Feb?
SoCal Meet????

·
a.k.a Handsome Rob
2,955 Posts
EBMCS03 said:
I didn't see him at the "lot". It was one of those while we were driving going, "Hey! I recognize that car!" Then it's gone.

·
a.k.a Handsome Rob
2,955 Posts
2BlueMCSMRdstr said:
SoCal Meet????
What a bummer we didn't meet! Yep I think I was the only one sporting a MINI2 sticker. Yep a meet in Feb. There is a group of us that get together from the NOT thread ( Never- ending Owners Thread, a.k.a. New Owners Thread.) We have met up twice in San Fran. We have a lot of fun. One person even came out from Texas. It's a tight nit group and we welcome all MINI owners new and old. Check it out if you wish, I think we have only one JCW member named Riells. Other members include, Mini Momma, AmRov, Trina, Jimskater, EBMCS, Barnabus, Craftnurd, jaisem, Windshadow, DareDiva, Riells, Eric B, Skatemom and others. Your sister wants boot stripes?! Let me know if you need any info on how I did them.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Well I took my car in again today to Long Beach MINI to get the passenger tweeter grill replaced. Since they were out of stock and had to special order it.

While it was there I asked to get my tires rotated and get the stupid sunroof squeeking taken care of.

They replaced the tweeter grill... (* I think* ) I didnt check LOL its the least of my worries...

They fixed the sunroof it doesnt squeek anymore... My biggest concern.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78945&highlight=sunroof

They wanted to charge $55 to rotate tires so I said FORGET IT!

Now here the interesting part... I left the car with 11,480 Miles on it and when I picked it up it had 11,503!!!!!!

Ya I know they had to go drive around to test the sunroof for squeeks cuz I reported it squeeks when fully open and when I'm driving... but 23 MILES!!!!!!!! Thats insane.. and the red light for "LOW ON GAS" was on... they didnt even fill it back up!

I spoke with my advisor and he checked who the tech that was working on it and said the tech is a older guy and wouldnt have taken it out for a joy ride, I believe him cuz I had this same tech work on my car many times before as it lists the tech's number on the paper work stating who worked on it. And everytime I'm happy with his work.

BUT BUT BUT... when I arrived to pick up my car it was parked outside by the drop off area and then I see this lady walk up to my car and drive it back into the service bay. I already thought that was weird... cuz usually when a car is done its inside somewhere waiting to be picked up. I bet that lady took my car out to lunch and for a joy ride... AND the passenger window has a paw print! (human paw print) My windows are spotless... so I can pick out any kind of flaw instantly...

Well my service advisor just said that he probably wrote the milage down incorrectly cuz he knows that the tech wouldnt go for a joy ride and he apologized so I didnt want to make a huge deal out of it. Since the advisor has been taking good care of me I figure I should let it slide than make a big deal and get bad service next time.

Well so service was good over all on the car itself but the receptionist lady taking my car out for a joy ride was un-acceptable!

MINI USA better not call me for a survey else I'm giving them a piece of my mind.

·
TPLS BLR
45 Posts
I have been back to Long Beach MINI for the 3rd time since buying by MINI from them on 10/25. No issues with the car mind you, but issues with the service. !st Service, just detailing and cleaning up the car as I had bought it on a late Sunday afternoon. They forgot about bringing my car out, waited over at least 30 minutes after the car was done, they were actually closing down and I had to ask where my car was. 2nd time, my keys would not open my top, I made an appointment for a Saturday, went to the MINI service line 5 minutes before my appt. time, and waited, and waited, MINI door was locked, went to the BMW side and was told they should be there, so waited, and waited, still the door is locked, went back to the BMW side and a different person tells me on Saturdays I need to come to the BMW side, gee, a sign of some sort over at MINI would have been helpful. They programmed them and I left quickly without instruction as I had to get to an event. Later that day, when I tried to use the key to open the top, it only opened the windows and sunroof portion. Called and they said to bring it back, I come back today. A young lady who's name I did not get, comes out to the car and proceeds to open the windows and the sunroof, and tells me, with attitude, that's all it will do, it will not open the top, it would use to much battery. I tell her it's in the manual, and I know that others can do it. I get my manual out, and of course I cannot find it right away, she goes back inside, I then find it, and show it to her. She calls service and says to them, the key will not open the top, right? I guess they say yes and she tells them it's in the manual, and they tell her, it's an international manual it works like that in other countries not in the US. She hangs up and tells me she has been there 6 years and it never opens. I try to argue the point for a minute, but I can tell it's useless so I decide to go see the Manager. Long Beach BMW/MINI has these signs all over the service area that if I cannot give them a perfect rating to ask to speak to a specific person and she will make it right. I go inside and ask for her and am told she doesn't work there anymore, maybe update your signs by the way, so I say, how about the person who replaced her? That person is not in today, I am told. And they get me a guy who is like a Tech Manager or something else. I tell him my story, and he says lets find out, but he doesn't think it works, doesn't work on the BMW (by the way, I know it works on the BMW, I considered buying one of them instead of the MINI and did it personally on cars I test drove). We go back to the service bay and another MINI cabrio is being worked on, he uses their key to open the glass and sunroof and then hits the button again and opens the top. Then we go to my car and same thing it works. I had been trying to do it by just holding the button down once, not releasing and holding again after the glass and sunroof opened. Problem solved, but geez, the lack of common courtesy and service there is dismaying. I have the free maintenance with my car until 100K or 6 years, I will not be taking it there to get any of it done.

Okay, venting over.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts