MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got hit!! by an SUV!!! noo!!!!!
my poor baby!

It was on the way home from the summer on long island meet! which was really fun! it was awesome meeting all of you! thank god you were there when i got hit or i would have freaked out! thanks for that!
here are some pictures from the meet:

this is us pulled over on the side of the road after i got hit...

·
Registered
314 Posts
The SUV stopped.

Just not in time.

A bit more details for y'all (as that's my silver MCS there):

It was raining cats and dogs and there was quite a bit of fog....

All of a sudden everyone on the left lane slammed on the brakes. I saw her stop short of me but I also saw the SUV right on her *ss and I was hoping it would stop in time but it did not.

Nomo let us know if you need us to give statements!

Shoe

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hope everyone's OK. When did they move the Big Duck from Flanders? I used to live up there a while ago and don't remember the Duck at that location.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Absolutely brutal. But at least you had that Mini posse for back up.
Hope your car is back in top form soon!

·
wherever you go...
1,617 Posts
That's such a drag. On a recent drive home from PA on a very rainy day I found myself constantly having to charge ahead to get away from tailgating SUV's.

Make sure that your repair and claim process includes looking under the skin of the bumper for collateral damage. Hope it all get's back to beautiful soon.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Sorry to see that.
My whack last Summer was around $800 for a very similar thing. Yours probably got hit harder and I can't see if the boot lid got bent.
Anyway, best of luck with it.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
I like the idea of those annunciators, but I don't like that one. I think they should blink once or twice, not 12 friggin times. Too bad they didn't make it adjustable. You will see them here and there..a double blink definitely gets your attention without being annoying whatsoever. Even better if they could make it sense how quickly or far you're pushing the pedal. No blink for a soft slow brake, double for normal, and maybe 5 for hard braking.

When will people learn that following distance saves lives (and cars). Not speed. Following distance. Especially for those SUV deathboxes that can't brake (or handled) anything like a car.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
jwardell said:
I like the idea of those annunciators, but I don't like that one. I think they should blink once or twice, not 12 friggin times. Too bad they didn't make it adjustable. You will see them here and there..a double blink definitely gets your attention without being annoying whatsoever. Even better if they could make it sense how quickly or far you're pushing the pedal. No blink for a soft slow brake, double for normal, and maybe 5 for hard braking.
This one is just a dumb capacitor. A microprocessor controlled one, like you're talking about would cost more than $15.00...

jwardell said:
When will people learn that following distance saves lives (and cars). Not speed. Following distance. Especially for those SUV deathboxes that can't brake (or handled) anything like a car.
And paying attention would save even more lives than that.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
jwardell said:

How many times have you left a safe braking distance only to have cars cram into it?
Too many I'm betting.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Well of course, those rules are heavily modified in boston traffic. But I'm talking .9 car length (they still can't get behind) and friggin 3 feet, which I've seen plenty of. Then there's always the big suv following that can't imagine stopping in time, following 3 feet behind, and talking on their cell phone.

Hey snek next time we meet make sure I get a look at your brake light in action. $15 is great, and if it's just a capacitor then maybe I can mod it to my liking.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
I fitted my Automatic Brakes Initiated Annunciator and put a little write-up on my weblog. The module is supplied as a round potted lump with three wires - not easy to mod, Josh.
It does what it says, but I am not sure it benefits much. The flashing is a bit erratic (because it is set up a resistor/capacitor combination) and you can hear the relay clicking inside the car - but I need to wait till I am behind a car with it installed to really decide what I think ... when Ivan & I meet for the Ice Cream run I suppose ...

(oh - I did a little "action video" of it. Not much action though!)

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
GBMINI said:
I fitted my Automatic Brakes Initiated Annunciator and put a little write-up on my weblog. The module is supplied as a round potted lump with three wires - not easy to mod, Josh.
It does what it says, but I am not sure it benefits much. The flashing is a bit erratic (because it is set up a resistor/capacitor combination) and you can hear the relay clicking inside the car - but I need to wait till I am behind a car with it installed to really decide what I think ... when Ivan & I meet for the Ice Cream run I suppose ...

(oh - I did a little "action video" of it. Not much action though!)

For the past couple of days I've been trying to back up against reflective surfaces to see what mine looks like :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
GMINI
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing