MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, would you? Let a complete stranger take your car away and park it?

The question doesn't really apply over here, but what about you lot in the good ol' US of A? ;), and if valet parking did exist in the UK, how would you feel about it? I don't know about elsewhere in the world - do you have valet parking in Oz / would you accept it?

Personally I tend to think twice about letting a mechanic at the dealership take mine (but always do). I won't even let blood relatives behind the wheel, so a complete stranger has no chance!

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
NOOOOOOOO...what are you outta your freakin' mind...let some cheese eatin' eighteen year old drive my supercharged MINI outta my sight? My wife isn't even driving it unless I'm beside her.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It depends. I've seen restaurants and clubs with valet parking that like to reserve the one or two parking places at the front door for the "coolest" cars, to set the image for the place. So a MINI might not move once you pull up in front. :)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Crashandburn said:
Well, would you? Let a complete stranger take your car away and park it?....
Back when I was a young punk of 18 years, I used to be a Valet Parker at a nice restaurant. Unless human nature has drastically changed over the years since I had that job - trust me, you don't want to leave any car which you care about - (especially if it is an "interesting" car) - to be valet parked.

It was a job that definitely had busy times and slack times and since the restaurant hardly paid us at all (we were supposed to live on the tips) they usually overstaffed the valets – meaning we had plenty of time to get into mischief. :D

One of my co-workers actually spun a Porsche 911 in the 100 feet from the front door of the restaurant to the open parking space. (the spin was unintentional but the speed he was driving was very intentional) He missed hitting anything, and, on reflection, enjoyed the experience so much, so he took the car behind the restaurant and spent 10 more minutes doing 'doughnuts' before finally parking the car. :) Another guy I worked with 'borrowed' a new Pontiac TransAm entrusted to his care for a "how fast will she go" high speed runs on the nearby freeway (comfortable up to 120 mph he said). I myself remember repeatedly "testing" the brakes on a new Rolls Royce Silver Shadow just so I could later point to the skid marks on the asphalt and say they were from 'the world's most expensive car'.

One of the best things about valet parking was that when the owners came to pickup their cars, we were actually tipped handsomely by the same people whose cars we had earlier abused. :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
No truth to the rumor that Russ Swift began his career as a valet parker. :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Crashandburn said:
Well, would you? Let a complete stranger take your car away and park it?

The question doesn't really apply over here, but what about you lot in the good ol' US of A? ;), and if valet parking did exist in the UK, how would you feel about it? I don't know about elsewhere in the world - do you have valet parking in Oz / would you accept it?

Personally I tend to think twice about letting a mechanic at the dealership take mine (but always do). I won't even let blood relatives behind the wheel, so a complete stranger has no chance!
Have you never seen "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Can't quite top Bruce's gut spiller above :) but most of Australia's better hotels have valet parking. It's worth tipping BEFORE they drive off in your pride and joy.

And make sure they ASK to drive/park your car. Your permission is often assumed, but your insurance company will wipe you if Brucek, sorry the valet does a badly judged 360 into the car park wall "without" your permission.

To answer the question, yes, I've had my Forester valet parked quite recently, but I didn't like it. But it came back ok, nery a scratch.

cheers. Mildly Interesting question. :D

:)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
The only valet parkers in the UK are usually dressed in baseball caps and come out at night. They very kindly valet park your car for you when your asleep. Trouble is, you can't find it in the morning! And as for a tip, I &*"%!**! *!"^ the lot of 'um ;)
The only valet parking I use is when I go to the States and it's not my car!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts