MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have you heard of Photosynth by Microsoft Live Labs? It's an online tool which constructs a virtual 3D scene from digital photographs. Photos of an object are compared and stitched together, but in 3D not just as a 2D panorama.

Photosynth was announced and demoed to a fair bit of excitement in 2007, here's an introduction to how clever it is:

Blaise Aguera y Arcas demos Photosynth | Video on TED.com

And here's a 3D synth of MINI, taken with nearly 400 photos this morning:

Photosynth Viewer

For those not brave enough to click, this is a screenshot of the synth:

It's not brilliant, but hey, it's a first attempt :)

Has anyone else given it a try? I'm sure someone here could do it much better than I did! :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thats very very cool, Im sure we will see it being used more in the near future. I cans ee it coming in handy when looking at cars on auto trader etc....

Thanks for sharing and nice work on the MINI. I found it a little bit difficult to get the view I wanted but it just takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
943 Posts
This is absolutely spell binding... it's a few years ahead of where most people want to be. I'm sure this'll become bigger in the next 3/5 years...

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Aww crap, no Mac support, so I'm not seeing anything save a patronising message. :(

"Unfortunately, we're not cool enough to run on your OS yet. We really wish we had a version of Photosynth that worked cross platform, but for now it only runs on Windows.

Trust us, as soon as we have a Mac version ready, it will be up and available on our site."

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
hmm i cant download the one you made that link just downloads the photosynth program itself, any ideas?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts